CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-27-2006, 04:43 PM   #1
Eric Lester

Profile:
I've recently gotten my girlfriend working out for the first time in her life. She is about 5 foot 1 and less than 95 pounds, I don't know if this is relevant to my question or not.

When she attempts deadlifts she has trouble with the bar hitting her knees on the way up. This is true even just using a broomstick. I have not been able to figure out what to tell her to adjust to correct this.

Also, does the rule for not letting the knees in front of the feet that you use with squats apply to deadlifts as well?
Old 11-27-2006, 08:12 PM   #2
Jerry Hill

Profile:
Eric, if we're lucky Mark Ripptoe will reply to this!

In my experience the bar hitting the knees has to do with trying to squat the deadlift. Get her hips back, but not too low, drive them to the bar verse squatting with the bar.

Make sense?
Good luck...
Old 11-27-2006, 08:31 PM   #3
Kim Dowse

Profile:
Eric - I had the same problem. The crossfit trainer I work with had me do PVC deadlifts in a doorway to get my form down. I hope this makes sense...grab the PVC (or broomstick) and stand in the doorway (without an actual door) full extension, chest out, shoulders up. The PVC should be flush against the doorway. From there "drop" to the ground and lift back up. The door helps your back to arch and your arms to stay perpendicular to the ground. I practiced this for 2 sessions and now have it down. Similar to what Jerry said above...I needed to get my butt/hips back.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:35 PM   #4
Bill Russell

Profile:
Check out the Tommy Kono thread in this Exercise forum. Coach Kono answers your question in his video - the You Tube link is listed in the thread.

BR
Old 11-28-2006, 04:56 AM   #5
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Move the knees around the bar, not the bar around the knees.

The deadlift has two parts. First, you pull from the floor while drawing the knees back. Second, once the bar passes the knees, you extend the hips and come to vertical.

I suggest you and your girlfriend, both practice with a broomstick until you get it right.

Read Mark Rippetoe's articles/book and the CrossFit Journal articles on the deadlift.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:43 AM   #6
Matthew Swift

Profile:
Eric, I have seen this happen when people start to straighten their upper body before their legs have straightened. The upper body angle at the start position (ie shoulders over the bar, shoulders higher than hips, hips higher than knees) needs to remain the same right up until the legs have finished their drive, ie the first pull is finished. Once the legs have straightened, only then does the upper body start to straighten. If you maintain the upper body angle as I have described there will be no knees to run into! Take the advice above and read Mark Rippetoe's article, it is excellent.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:54 AM   #7
Eric Lester

Profile:
Thanks for all the great advice, everyone. We'll be doing the deadlift again next week. I will put all your advice to use.