CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
Matthew Swartz

Profile:
Competition Standards

A friend and I have been doing some more serious training lately and he has Superfit in Charlottesville, VA this month and I am wondering about competition standards for the following exercises.

I'm going to write down what I believe to be correct. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Box jump - fully open hips at one point once on top of the box. (Can land with hips open, can be squatted down and stand up to open, ...etc)
Dips - shoulders below elbows at lowest point, full lock out at top.
HSPU - head to ground, full lock out.
KB swings - fully open hips at top of swing, shoulders behind ears.
K2E - knees to elbows, fully open hips at bottom. **
K2B - toes to bar, fully open hips at bottom. **
Wall ball - hip crease below knee (same with all full squats) at bottom, 10 foot mark.

** For K2E/B, do your arms have to be fully extended this whole time, or can you be in a "half pull up" state, arms bent?

Thanks in advance for the corrections. Remember, please only correct based on competition standards, not personal standards.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #2
Daniel Wheeler

Profile:
Re: Competition Standards

The competition didn't provide standards, or demo vids outlining them?
Old 01-03-2011, 11:19 PM   #3
Jesse Gray

Profile:

There is no one set of standards for Crossfit competitions. Each competition tends to lay out the standards as they see fit. Unknown and unknowable... One comp may want chest to bar pull ups, another kipping but no butterfly. One might want russian style KBS, another American style. Be ready for anything and train the full range of motion for all movements.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:25 AM   #4
Ryan Earle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wheeler View Post
The competition didn't provide standards, or demo vids outlining them?
Last year they announced the WoDs the week of the competition and provided demo standards videos that week.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:43 AM   #5
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Shady... very shady...

Well is what I have posted for the above exercises what the community generally considers full ROM?

Thanks
Old 01-04-2011, 11:34 AM   #6
Matt D Miller

Profile:

I do have a question about something I saw on the mainsite. there was a picture of someone doing a box jump, and they said that for it to count, the hips had to come above where the hips are when standing on the box. Is this true? If so, I have been doing box jumps wrong the whole time. here is the picture i am referring to:

http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/...Opening_th.jpg (WFS)
Old 01-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D Miller View Post
I do have a question about something I saw on the mainsite. there was a picture of someone doing a box jump, and they said that for it to count, the hips had to come above where the hips are when standing on the box. Is this true? If so, I have been doing box jumps wrong the whole time. here is the picture i am referring to:

http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/...Opening_th.jpg (WFS)
Yes. The standard you will find at any affiliate is that you must open the hip as shown. Touching the box with your feet and pressing off backward with your body remaining at an angle backward, bent at the hip/knee would not count.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #8
Nalin Prabhu

Profile:

Technically- if they only state " the hips had to come above where the hips are when standing on the box" for a jump to count, then you could jump on and off without ever opening your hips.

The reason that addendum was added to the "hip and knees must fully extend" standard was because people were cheating the movement by landing on the box in a crouched position and then attaining extension on the way down off the box.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #9
Matt D Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
Yes. The standard you will find at any affiliate is that you must open the hip as shown. Touching the box with your feet and pressing off backward with your body remaining at an angle backward, bent at the hip/knee would not count.
I land on the box in a slight squat, and then stand up all the way, opening my hips before i step down...does this count? The picture makes it seem like i have to get ABOVE where i would be while jumping on the box. I guess i can take a short video of box jumps when i get home and just post that.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:59 AM   #10
James White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
I think what the person is asking is: "Is it okay for me to open my hips in the air?"

The old standard said hips must open somewhere (on the box or in the air), while the link he posted says something different.

nvm. You guys already answered. :-)

Last edited by James White : 01-04-2011 at 12:00 PM. Reason: posters are faster than I