CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-02-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
Troy Becker

Profile:
Max Effort Warm-up Idea

So I pulled a new deadlift PR yesterday (yay), which I was due to do anyway. But I tried something- warming up with short mini bands. I figure if your brain gets "trained" when you do speed work into exploding, and I would subconsciously (word?) expect to have to explode and pull harder/faster/better/whatever, that I might get a little extra out of the heavier sets.

So what I did was pulled up to 75% with mini bands, then pulled 2 singles working close to my last PR, then pulled 2 new PRs.

Anyone else ever think of or try this?
Old 01-02-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
Brian Degenaro

Profile:
Re: Max Effort Warm-up Idea

It's close to the idea of taking a supramaximal load prior to a maximal load. For example, walk out with 20-30% more than your squat and standing there for a moment or isometrically pulling against or rack pull 20-30% more than a deadlift. The idea is to trick your body into prepping all motor neurons to fire.

Googling it can bring about a bunch of articles with people whom have tried it and there are some studies out there as well.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
So I pulled a new deadlift PR yesterday (yay), which I was due to do anyway. But I tried something- warming up with short mini bands. I figure if your brain gets "trained" when you do speed work into exploding, and I would subconsciously (word?) expect to have to explode and pull harder/faster/better/whatever, that I might get a little extra out of the heavier sets.

So what I did was pulled up to 75% with mini bands, then pulled 2 singles working close to my last PR, then pulled 2 new PRs.

Anyone else ever think of or try this?
Louie warns against doing exactly this in his Book of Methods (ie. heavy band work before unbanded singles)...he states one's timing would be off.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #4
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Degenaro View Post
It's close to the idea of taking a supramaximal load prior to a maximal load. For example, walk out with 20-30% more than your squat and standing there for a moment or isometrically pulling against or rack pull 20-30% more than a deadlift. The idea is to trick your body into prepping all motor neurons to fire.

Googling it can bring about a bunch of articles with people whom have tried it and there are some studies out there as well.
Yes, Louis talks about that in his book. Can't do it with a deadlift though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Forestier View Post
Louie warns against doing exactly this in his Book of Methods (ie. heavy band work before unbanded singles)...he states one's timing would be off.
I couldn't find where he talked about it off hand... Well that's good to know. Do you have an approximate place so I can read what he said?
Old 01-02-2011, 04:53 PM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
Yes, Louis talks about that in his book. Can't do it with a deadlift though...
Sure you can--like Brian said, you could do a rack pull with more than your deadlift 1RM just to get used to feeling heavy weight in your hands.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
Troy Becker

Profile:

By the way, here was how the rep schemes worked out:
135 + short mini band: 5~10 (?)
205 + short mini band: 5
315 + short mini band: 2
365: 1
395: 1
415: 1
425: 1

Previous PR was 405, unbelted.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

Like Rene said, Louie is right with it creating timing issues when you take the bands away. It definitely happens on squats and bench press, although the deadlift I don't see it making any difference. I wouldn't try it with squats because in the same session I did banded squats at 315 and then unbanded ones at 315 and your body is like "this does not make sense at all."
Old 01-03-2011, 07:00 PM   #8
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Sure you can--like Brian said, you could do a rack pull with more than your deadlift 1RM just to get used to feeling heavy weight in your hands.
I was thinking about the weight releasers.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

A month or so ago I tried a pull of 375 and couldn't even budge it and really struggled to barely pull 355. I was pretty sure I should have been strong enough to pull it but it was like my hands immediately told my body that it was too heavy. Since then I started double overhanding all my warm up sets and twice a month doing double overhanded axle deadlifts (which even makes 220 hard). The next time I tried a max 365, 385, and 400 all went up fairly easy. I think it's more likely that I retrained my mind as to what "feels" heavy than I put 50lbs on my deadlift in a month.

Similar idea, I could see the band thing working.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #10
Scott Paltos

Profile:

It is advised to NOT use the band strip method if working in high percentages. IE 85-90%+....as far as working below 70-75% max...it is just a preloaded method. Speed has nothing to do with it. It is CNS activation...very similar to pulling a heavy single in dead, then Vertical Jumping.

Or better yet...do two squat jumps w/ minimal time on ground then go pull off ground. If going for a high % max press..do 1 clap push-up, rest 8-12 secs and then press. Lot of raw benchers do that method or do a snap back shoulder/pec push then bench.

I wouldn't do it or program it a lot, sporadically or depending on how well you stick to the principles of the conjugate method, you may only see that movement once every 3-12 weeks.

It's preference and association...nothing is perfect.

SP