CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-31-2010, 08:37 AM   #1
Kevin Cale

Profile:
reversehyper on ball

How good is doing a reverse hyper on stability ball as regards rehab?
Is there a nuance to performing it on the machine where you go into slight lower back flexion at the bottom of the movement? I could be totally wrong here? What is the science behind the reverse hyper movement?
Old 12-31-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: reversehyper on ball

If you can't do a reverse hyper on a machine, doing it on the ball is a fair substitute. The two limitations might be range of motion on the bottom portion since the ball would get in the way and the other is the amount of weight you could attach to your legs. Some have made some setups in a powerrack either by bracing their hips on a barbell or safety bar--this works too but might be uncomfortable. Either is worth giving a try.

I did them on a ball until I got a machine. The machine is better but the ball still helped my lower back--it just didn't provided as much traction/opening of the joints.

In order to get the best benefit, you'd want to be able to use them with weight and get a full range of motion where your feet would travel almost as far forward to below your face/shoulders and the travel back to extension but not hyperextension of the lower back. The full range helps open up the lower back.