CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-30-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
Chad Leeson

Profile:
Alternative Front Squat grip

Is there an alternative front squat grip? The reason I ask is that I dislocated my elbow about 20 years ago and have very limited range of motion in my right elbow. My hand will NOT touch my shoulder (in fact it is about 4 inches from touching.) I can go wider but then my shoulders are doing less work and my arms end up holding the majority of the weight.

Obviously because of this I have been trying different grips but nothing feels right. Was wondering if there is a recommended alternative grip. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
Ian Nigh

Profile:
Re: Alternative Front Squat grip

not ideal, but you could try the mummy or the zombie, either should work but both are less transferable to other skills.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Leeson View Post
Is there an alternative front squat grip? The reason I ask is that I dislocated my elbow about 20 years ago and have very limited range of motion in my right elbow. My hand will NOT touch my shoulder (in fact it is about 4 inches from touching.) I can go wider but then my shoulders are doing less work and my arms end up holding the majority of the weight.

Obviously because of this I have been trying different grips but nothing feels right. Was wondering if there is a recommended alternative grip. Thanks!
think about using a pair of vice grips, or at least one on the side of your injured arm. I can assume you can imagine what I am talking about, but if you cant I can try to get you a picture.

Only thing is, if you use a Pendlay bar, please use some rubber or leather or some sort of padding on the vice grip. Hate to see the knurling damaged on those beautiful bars.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
Sean Rooks

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Pendlay View Post
think about using a pair of vice grips, or at least one on the side of your injured arm. I can assume you can imagine what I am talking about, but if you cant I can try to get you a picture.

Only thing is, if you use a Pendlay bar, please use some rubber or leather or some sort of padding on the vice grip. Hate to see the knurling damaged on those beautiful bars.
This was posted on the performance menu website a few days ago Glenn, I assume this is what you are talking about?

http://cathletics.com/daily/daily.php?dailyID=1407 wfs
Old 12-30-2010, 07:58 PM   #5
Daniel Ricksecker

Profile:

Yeah was gonna recommend straps as well, check this vid out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQb0OZCtqBk

WFS, just shows the straps in action. Closer to the rack grip than the cross shoulders(mummy) and it gives you more control over the bar.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:23 PM   #6
Chad Leeson

Profile:

Thanks for the input, I will certainly give these ideas a try! Just the kind of stuff I was looking for!
Old 12-30-2010, 11:03 PM   #7
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Chad, there are several alternative front squat grips. Straps, vice grips, the "I Dream Of Genie" bodybuilder's grip, the "Look Ma No Hands" grip. My buddy Gary Valentine swears by the latter for all of his lifters. A few of the Bulgarian weightlifters had even been seen to switch to a half-and-half grip with one arm rotated externally like normal and the other arm rotated internally with the thumb under the bar.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:22 AM   #8
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Rooks View Post
This was posted on the performance menu website a few days ago Glenn, I assume this is what you are talking about?

http://cathletics.com/daily/daily.php?dailyID=1407 wfs
Yep. straps work to, in about the same way as a v-grip. maybe even better. Max uses straps like that.

I would like to credit the late JV Askem as the man who first gave me, and I am sure many many others, the idea to use an apparatas like this to grip a front squat. Mr. Askem had many unique ideas that myself and lots of others have benefitted from. RIP John Victor Askem thank you and you are missed.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:41 AM   #9
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

JV Askem is where I first heard of doing no-hands front squats. He is sorely missed.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #10
Josh Satterlee

Profile:

ZERCHERS!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2OKweR-N-g WFS