CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-29-2010, 09:19 PM   #21
adam adkins

Profile:
Re: Dealing with Buttwink on Starting Strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
So any form of sitting and standing is comparable to Squatting?
If you sit on a couch the same way you sit on a toilet then yes. If not then no.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:26 PM   #22
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Tamara and anyone else for that matter,
Once I get home from vacation I'll try to get something online to get your opinion on my squat form--namely opinions on rounding of the back. Thanks for the suggestion.
-Bob
Old 12-30-2010, 02:00 PM   #23
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:

I have been extensively involved with strength sports that involve squatting, and involved at the elite level, for more than 20 years, both as a competitor and coach. Nowhere in the world did I ever hear the words "butt wink" till I saw it on the crossfit forums.

Keep in mind that this is after being involved with and training with and coaching and being coached by,.... world champions in strongman, weightlifting, and powerlifting, 100+ national champions in weightlifting, coaches of Olympic champions in weightlifting, the national team coach for Russia in OL for 20 years (medvedev), the national team coach for Bulgaria in OL (abajiev), and, honestly, more but I am tired of typing.

And after all this, I first heard the term "butt wink" on the crossfit forum.

I did 606 lbs below parallel for 11 reps in the squat with no belt, and 770lbs for 3 reps with a belt, and 550lbs for a set of 5 in the front squat, all with no knowledge of what "butt wink" was. I am not injured and have a very healthy back.

And again, this was done without ever knowing what "butt wink" was or if it was good or bad.

And, as a coach, I will predict that several of my lifters, in the next year, will win national championships in Olympic Weightlifting, and at least two of them will break American Records.

And none of them will have ever heard the term "butt wink", or at least I hope not.

Based on all this, I believe, fairly strongly, that "butt wink" is not as important a concept as it has been made out to be in the CrossFit world.

Obviously, just my honest opinion. I suppose worth about as much as you paid for it...

glenn
Old 12-30-2010, 02:17 PM   #24
Brian Bedell

Profile:

"That's all folks!"
--Porky Pig
Old 12-30-2010, 02:21 PM   #25
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Pendlay View Post
I have been extensively involved with strength sports that involve squatting, and involved at the elite level, for more than 20 years, both as a competitor and coach. Nowhere in the world did I ever hear the words "butt wink" till I saw it on the crossfit forums.

Keep in mind that this is after being involved with and training with and coaching and being coached by,.... world champions in strongman, weightlifting, and powerlifting, 100+ national champions in weightlifting, coaches of Olympic champions in weightlifting, the national team coach for Russia in OL for 20 years (medvedev), the national team coach for Bulgaria in OL (abajiev), and, honestly, more but I am tired of typing.

And after all this, I first heard the term "butt wink" on the crossfit forum.

I did 606 lbs below parallel for 11 reps in the squat with no belt, and 770lbs for 3 reps with a belt, and 550lbs for a set of 5 in the front squat, all with no knowledge of what "butt wink" was. I am not injured and have a very healthy back.

And again, this was done without ever knowing what "butt wink" was or if it was good or bad.

And, as a coach, I will predict that several of my lifters, in the next year, will win national championships in Olympic Weightlifting, and at least two of them will break American Records.

And none of them will have ever heard the term "butt wink", or at least I hope not.

Based on all this, I believe, fairly strongly, that "butt wink" is not as important a concept as it has been made out to be in the CrossFit world.

Obviously, just my honest opinion. I suppose worth about as much as you paid for it...

glenn
Old 12-30-2010, 02:33 PM   #26
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

</But what's your Tabata air squats score? That's what we really need to know/>
Old 12-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #27
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
</But what's your Tabata air squats score? That's what we really need to know/>
Depends if I use the breaststroke, the front crawl, or the crazy frog
Old 12-30-2010, 05:04 PM   #28
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Pendlay View Post
Obviously, just my honest opinion.
Hallelujah.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:24 PM   #29
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Glenn/anyone,

This is just me being OCD and sometimes it needs to be hammered in. When I refer to "butt wink," I mean some rounding of the lower back at the lowest depths of the squat.

After reading Glenn's comments, I looked on Youtube at some of the top Olympic lifters, some of the guys in Glenn's gym and some other heavy squats online--mainly of the olympic style. None of them showed any significant rounding in the lowest position.

The gist I'm getting from all of you, is a little rounding at the bottom is acceptable? If so, I'll stop on worrying about it and keep on squatting as deep as I can.

Thanks.
Bob
Old 12-30-2010, 07:17 PM   #30
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
Glenn/anyone,

This is just me being OCD and sometimes it needs to be hammered in. When I refer to "butt wink," I mean some rounding of the lower back at the lowest depths of the squat.

After reading Glenn's comments, I looked on Youtube at some of the top Olympic lifters, some of the guys in Glenn's gym and some other heavy squats online--mainly of the olympic style. None of them showed any significant rounding in the lowest position.

The gist I'm getting from all of you, is a little rounding at the bottom is acceptable? If so, I'll stop on worrying about it and keep on squatting as deep as I can.

Thanks.
Bob
IMO, a little rounding is ok. As you get stronger, the rounding generally goes away. Stronger pretty much helps most everything.

Last edited by Glenn Pendlay : 12-30-2010 at 07:21 PM.