CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
Sean Rooks
Member Sean Rooks is offline
 
Sean Rooks's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Boulder  CO
Posts: 494
wright hd bar/plate package vs pendlay hd bar/plate package

Alright I'm looking at these two bumper plate and bar packages. The first is the wright rubber package here http://www.wrightexercise.com/260-bl...ing-p-812.html wfs

The second is the package from muscle driver here http://www.muscledriverusa.com/busetwecbuhd.html wfs

I am pretty torn on which one to order here. The wright rubber one has 50lbs more rubber which gives it the slight edge in my mind. So is the pendlay hd bar that much better than the wright hd bar, if at all, that I should sacrifice the 50lbs of rubber in favor of the pendlay bar? I'm a novice oly lifter, but it is my focus and I would like a set that satisfies me as I get stronger.

** stuck this in exercises on accident, supposed to be in equipment, can a mod move this?**

Last edited by Sean Rooks : 12-25-2010 at 06:28 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
Michael Loucas
Member Michael Loucas is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fairfield  NJ
Posts: 1,373
Re: wright hd bar/plate package vs pendlay hd bar/plate package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Rooks View Post
Alright I'm looking at these two bumper plate and bar packages. The first is the wright rubber package here http://www.wrightexercise.com/260-bl...ing-p-812.html wfs

The second is the package from muscle driver here http://www.muscledriverusa.com/busetwecbuhd.html wfs

I am pretty torn on which one to order here. The wright rubber one has 50lbs more rubber which gives it the slight edge in my mind. So is the pendlay hd bar that much better than the wright hd bar, if at all, that I should sacrifice the 50lbs of rubber in favor of the pendlay bar? I'm a novice oly lifter, but it is my focus and I would like a set that satisfies me as I get stronger.

** stuck this in exercises on accident, supposed to be in equipment, can a mod move this?**
I don't have experience with Wright, but I never heard anything bad about them. Muscledriver on the otherhand, I had a bad customer service, and all the bumpers shipped to me (multiple times) were defective. (Rings protruding out from the center, chipping rubber etc). I'd go with wright.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
Tamara Cohen
Member Tamara Cohen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Asheville  NC
Posts: 4,392
Re: wright hd bar/plate package vs pendlay hd bar/plate package

I own the Wright HD bar. I lift with Pendlay bars on a regular basis at my gym (both the bushing class and the bearing class), and there is a huge difference. I have no problem with the Wright HD bar for squats and deadlifts, but I would not recommend it to anyone who is at all serious about Oly lifting. Pendlay bars are by far my favorite to lift with.

That said, I own Hi-Temp plates and use Hi-Temps at my gym. We also have Wright bumpers at our gym, so I have a lot of experience lifting with those. We have the old ones with brass inserts, and the 10s and 15s do not hold up the way that the Hi-Temp 10s and 15s do. I do not have experience with the Pendlay Econ plates, but I have lifted with the Pendlay Elite plates, which I love.

Although I didn't end up purchasing my bar and bumpers from Wright, I did deal with Jason at Wright when I was getting quotes, and he was extremely helpful. And, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend dealing with Eric Carpenter at MuscleDriver should you choose to get the Pendlay bar and bumpers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #4
Sean Rooks
Member Sean Rooks is offline
 
Sean Rooks's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Boulder  CO
Posts: 494
Re: wright hd bar/plate package vs pendlay hd bar/plate package

Tamara, thanks for the help. I was pretty sure the wright bar wouldn't be up to the task since I never see it mentioned with the pendlay bar. Looks like I'll be going with the muscledriver package.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:57 PM   #5
Pete Nadeau
Member Pete Nadeau is offline
 
Pete Nadeau's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: El Paso  TX
Posts: 425
Re: wright hd bar/plate package vs pendlay hd bar/plate package

Iíve used the old brass insert Pendlay Econ plates for almost 2 years, and they have held up well. But Iím the only one, except my son who stops by to do deadlifts or squats who uses them.
__________________
Honor Et Fidelite
 tre prÍt
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
Phil Wood
Member Phil Wood is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Irvine  CA
Posts: 21
Re: wright hd bar/plate package vs pendlay hd bar/plate package

If you're still looking for options, check out the Rogue Fitness So Cal Econ package. Upgrade to the Rogue bar and add in a pair of 35lb plates and you'll have a great bar and more weight at a lower price. I've never used the Pendlay bars, but have used the Rogue bar both at home and at my affiliate. They have a great feel to them for oly lifts and are tough as nails.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:56 AM   #7
Matthew Vassallo
Banned Matthew Vassallo is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Tampa  FL
Posts: 215
Re: wright hd bar/plate package vs pendlay hd bar/plate package

the wright bar feels as if it has a coarser knurling. it will really shred your shin if you accidently forget to get them out of the way on a clean or a snatch.

the wright bar also FEELS stiffer than the pendlay. enough to where the jerk and the snatch doesn't feel like it has that tiny little bit of whip that absorbs some of the shock loads as kinetic energy and thus saves your wrists just that little bit. at least that's what it feels like to me.

the wright bar also has less spin and seems to make more noise than the pendlay bar.

the finish on the wright bar is much nicer than the pendlay, but seriously, i love the look of a nice darkening bar. the pendlay nexgen HD's we have at TNL look almost like a beautiful slowly oxidizing 4130 at this point in life.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:46 PM   #8
Sean Rooks
Member Sean Rooks is offline
 
Sean Rooks's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Boulder  CO
Posts: 494
Re: wright hd bar/plate package vs pendlay hd bar/plate package

I also just found on the wright website a package that includes 150kg of bumpers and the wright bar for pretty cheap. I may go with this option simply because the price is amazing for how much rubber is included. In the long run I may upgrade to a bearing bar, but i can't find a better deal on the Internet than this one.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:18 PM   #9
Tamara Cohen
Member Tamara Cohen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Asheville  NC
Posts: 4,392
Re: wright hd bar/plate package vs pendlay hd bar/plate package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Vassallo View Post
the wright bar feels as if it has a coarser knurling. it will really shred your shin if you accidently forget to get them out of the way on a clean or a snatch.

the wright bar also FEELS stiffer than the pendlay. enough to where the jerk and the snatch doesn't feel like it has that tiny little bit of whip that absorbs some of the shock loads as kinetic energy and thus saves your wrists just that little bit. at least that's what it feels like to me.

the wright bar also has less spin and seems to make more noise than the pendlay bar.

the finish on the wright bar is much nicer than the pendlay, but seriously, i love the look of a nice darkening bar. the pendlay nexgen HD's we have at TNL look almost like a beautiful slowly oxidizing 4130 at this point in life.
Agree with everything above except I can't really comment on the finish, as I am the only one who uses my Wright HD bar and the Pendlay bars are used by an entire gym.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Rooks View Post
I also just found on the wright website a package that includes 150kg of bumpers and the wright bar for pretty cheap. I may go with this option simply because the price is amazing for how much rubber is included. In the long run I may upgrade to a bearing bar, but i can't find a better deal on the Internet than this one.
Then get the bushing class Pendlay bar. Promise. I've had my Wright HD bar for a year. When I bought it, I was told that it was comparable to the Pendlay bushing class bar. This is simply untrue for all of the reasons that Matthew stated. If you can get the Wright bumpers cheaper, then go for it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:45 PM   #10
Sean Rooks
Member Sean Rooks is offline
 
Sean Rooks's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Boulder  CO
Posts: 494
Re: wright hd bar/plate package vs pendlay hd bar/plate package

Thanks Tamara, I'll take your advice and get the wright bumpers with the pendlay bar.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crossfit Package - Bumper Plates, Bar, Squat Rack, Lifting Platform Eric Eggers Equipment 1 02-14-2010 05:50 AM
Wright HD bar vs. Pendlay HD bar James Orr Equipment 7 02-08-2010 08:30 PM
bumper plate choices Wright Rubber or Pendlay Josh Dickey Equipment 41 04-17-2009 09:18 AM
Bumper plate and bar combo John Elstad Equipment 8 12-21-2006 11:44 AM
Oly Bar and Plate Query Jason Donaldson Equipment 13 10-05-2006 06:05 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.