CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2010, 04:09 AM   #1
Jim Crowell
Affiliate Jim Crowell is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh  PA
Posts: 233
56 inch vertical leap

The guys at our box got a 56 inch vertical leap. Thats a 24 inch box with 8 plates on top of the box.

Check it out here crossfit box jumpsYOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.
__________________
Jim
Integrated Fitness Crossfit in Pittsburgh
Twitter @if_fit
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:53 AM   #2
David Hare
Member David Hare is offline
 
David Hare's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Raleigh  NC
Posts: 99
Re: 56 inch vertical leap

That is impressive.

But I do want to clarify one thing. That's technically not a vertical. A vertical is measured by how high the person can jump straight up, without a running start. And it's measured by how high their hand can touch compared to standing straight up, how high they can reach.

There was a video on the main site a few weeks ago of Rob Orlando doing 48" box jumps on two giant tires.

Here's a video of Adrian Wilson, safety for the Arizona Cardinals jumping over a 66" bar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vL19q8yL54 (WFS)
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:14 AM   #3
Jim Crowell
Affiliate Jim Crowell is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh  PA
Posts: 233
Re: 56 inch vertical leap

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hare View Post
That is impressive.

But I do want to clarify one thing. That's technically not a vertical. A vertical is measured by how high the person can jump straight up, without a running start. And it's measured by how high their hand can touch compared to standing straight up, how high they can reach.

There was a video on the main site a few weeks ago of Rob Orlando doing 48" box jumps on two giant tires.

Here's a video of Adrian Wilson, safety for the Arizona Cardinals jumping over a 66" bar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vL19q8yL54 (WFS)
Thanks I wasn't really sure how to say it aside from the word vertical (tried to add the word leap at the end to differentiate between that and the jump). That is a pretty sick jump by Adrian Wilson.
__________________
Jim
Integrated Fitness Crossfit in Pittsburgh
Twitter @if_fit
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
Jason R O'Dell
Banned Jason R O'Dell is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Moore  OK
Posts: 3,396
Re: 56 inch vertical leap

What does one's vertical have to be to dunk a basketball anyway? Last I checked (before I CF'd) my vertical was very low.
My highest box jump is only 36" though.

That was an impressive box jump though, 56 is high.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
Eric Montgomery
Member Eric Montgomery is offline
 
Eric Montgomery's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 7,413
Re: 56 inch vertical leap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
What does one's vertical have to be to dunk a basketball anyway?
10ft - max standing reach + ~6" to give the ball some room to spare. So with my max standing reach of 8ft, I'll need about a 30" vertical jump to dunk.

Then you can probably subtract another 3-4" or so seeing how you'll probably be dunking off a running start which will let you jump a little higher.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:45 AM   #6
Jim Crowell
Affiliate Jim Crowell is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh  PA
Posts: 233
Re: 56 inch vertical leap

The link above is safe for both family and children
__________________
Jim
Integrated Fitness Crossfit in Pittsburgh
Twitter @if_fit
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:46 AM   #7
Jim Crowell
Affiliate Jim Crowell is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh  PA
Posts: 233
Re: 56 inch vertical leap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Crowell View Post
The guys at our box got a 56 inch vertical leap. Thats a 24 inch box with 8 plates on top of the box.

Check it out here crossfit box jumpsYOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.
This link is Safe for all viewers both children family and work.
__________________
Jim
Integrated Fitness Crossfit in Pittsburgh
Twitter @if_fit
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
Troy Peterson
Member Troy Peterson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Wauwatosa  WI
Posts: 217
Re: 56 inch vertical leap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
10ft - max standing reach + ~6" to give the ball some room to spare. So with my max standing reach of 8ft, I'll need about a 30" vertical jump to dunk.

Then you can probably subtract another 3-4" or so seeing how you'll probably be dunking off a running start which will let you jump a little higher.
Probably pretty accurate. I'm a little under 6'1" and in my younger days could dunk with 2 hands with a few steps and jumping off 2 feet. Some do better jumping off one leg with a more running approach.

I figure my vertical was in the 27"-32" realm, never really tested. Now...., how thick is your piece of paper that you can slide under my feet?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:27 PM   #9
Ralston Baker
Member Ralston Baker is offline
 
Ralston Baker's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Knoxville  TN
Posts: 324
Re: 56 inch vertical leap

Yea not a vertical, and really not a max height box jump either. Should be done from a standing position; no step in and no running... Still a cool vid though.
__________________
M/ 26/ 5'11/ 190lbs Fran:2:11 Squat (High Bar):500 C&J:356# Snatch: 264# FSquat:420 Grace: 1:38
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:25 AM   #10
Anson Castelvecchi
Member Anson Castelvecchi is offline
 
Anson Castelvecchi's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Salisbury  NC
Posts: 340
Re: 56 inch vertical leap

Nice!!
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vertical leap standard Brandon Oto Fitness 2 05-30-2007 10:09 AM
Increase in vertical leap! Bill Russell Testimonials 1 09-03-2006 01:16 PM
Vertical leap? Chad Woolery Exercises 3 03-09-2006 12:29 PM
Vertical leap Rick Worthington Competitions 13 10-12-2004 09:50 AM
Vertical leap Kevin Roddy Exercises 3 11-17-2003 06:21 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.