CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 11-16-2010, 09:25 PM   #11
Scott Hallas

Profile:
Re: coughing and phlegm build up after workout

Ok here is an example of the day it was probably the worst. we do wendlers 5-3-1 strength program along with the WOD and this day was deadlift day. The Wod on that day was Cindy.
After that one I had some issues.

However, In the past week since I posted this I have had a couple of WOD that left me feeling the same way Cindy did but I havent had the cough so I dont know.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:47 PM   #12
Matt Lengel

Profile:

Brent, I understand in your experience you did have asthma, but don't scare everyone who has occasional phlegm into thinking its asthma. There can be a variety of reasons one has phlegm after a workout. If it happens everytime you do a WOD i would start looking into it. Otherwise it is most likely what Shane was saying, an acute episode of pulmonary edema. When your huffing on all that dry air your body will increase the mucus production to keep your lungs moist allowing the oxygen to be absorbed. Since this process is activated by a second messenger cascade it may continue to secrete a little after respiration returns to normal. However, smoking can substantially increase your risk of developing chronic lung inflammation (anything from asthma to COPD). I used to smoke "occasionally" and experienced many more instances of this post-WOD phlegm. Now that I have been taking care of myself it only happens once or twice a year in the cold winter months.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:42 PM   #13
Troy Becker

Profile:

I'm a tiny bit sick right now (rarity for me, I'm annoyed), so I'll try to induce that on purpose. Yesterday I hit the heavy bag and did sprawls with some good intensity for almost 20 minutes wearing three pairs of pants and three shirts, including a big heavy hoodie. Got me all nice and sweaty and gross and spitting up, and it sucked because I was tired and fatigued and weary and all that... But once I was done I felt like I was well again.

Something about it gets the toxins out. The point of my story: it's not always a bad thing.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:42 AM   #14
Amanda Rodriguez

Profile:

This is helpful. I have been coughing after any cardio, running, rowing exercises. I taste copperish blood yucky stuff and just cough and feel short of breathe. What is going on!?
Old 12-05-2010, 09:05 PM   #15
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Rodriguez View Post
This is helpful. I have been coughing after any cardio, running, rowing exercises. I taste copperish blood yucky stuff and just cough and feel short of breathe. What is going on!?
People seem to get that taste when they first start doing heavy-breathing aerobic kind of stuff. I don't know what it is, but in my experience, and people I've heard from about it, it goes away the more you do it. So... maybe you're out of aerobic shape?
Old 12-05-2010, 09:06 PM   #16
Troy Becker

Profile:

Oh, it also seems to happen more when you breathe cold air, and winter has arrived, so that could be it.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:36 PM   #17
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
People seem to get that taste when they first start doing heavy-breathing aerobic kind of stuff. I don't know what it is, but in my experience, and people I've heard from about it, it goes away the more you do it. So... maybe you're out of aerobic shape?
It's pulmonary edema.

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/conten...ract/100/3/972 (wfs)
Old 12-06-2010, 06:35 AM   #18
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hallas View Post
I am new, only been crossfitting for about 6 weeks and am definitely out of shape. After some hard (or hard for me) met cons that really push me to the edge, for the next few hours I have a bit of a cough and have some phlegm build up. The phlegm is similiar to how one feels at the tail end of a chest cold, very loose. after a few hours I am fine, no more cough or phlegm. Is this normal or should I be concerned. Also let me say I have never had asthma, and i dont taste copper or have any blood in my saliva or anything. any thoughts?
Scott,

Your symptoms sound uncomfortable. You've heard some internet suggestions here, now go see a physician. They are often quick to Dx asthma; ask for some differential Dx if he does as you don't want that label for life.

It could be something as minor as a long standing virus that keeps you hacking...especially since you say you are not short of breath (any wheezing?).

Last edited by Rene Forestier : 12-06-2010 at 06:40 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:13 PM   #19
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Okay... what does that mean for us workout people, exactly?
Old 12-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #20
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
Okay... what does that mean for us workout people, exactly?

Intense aerobic workouts cause the capillaries of the blood-gas barrier to burst, literally. This causes a little bit of blood to flow into your lungs, which causes copper taste and coughing.