CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-25-2006, 12:34 AM   #1
Edward Mathias Wilson

Profile:  
Wanted to present a question about mixed grip pullups... What would be the benefit of one palm facing in and one facing out? A friend of mine was doing pull ups like this at work today and I wanted to hear peoples opinions about the benefits. Second question is about how to improve grip strength... the area where I feel I am most weak. What are some excercises that will help?
Old 09-25-2006, 02:52 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Mixed grip will allow you to be able to pull more weight. (vs the convention 2 hands in same direction...hands can not slip off as easily due to weak grip strength). There is also something called a hook grip that powerlifters use. Here's an example, http://www.e-lacrosse.com/2005/yeager/pl12.jpg
I havent got used to it yet...but that should help in stronger pulls like cleans and snatch.
Personally I use the mixed grip with Deadlifts, as my grip will go before my leg/back will.

If you need to work on grip, then it's something obviously that only gets better with practice. You can practice just holding heavy DBs, heavy BB, farmers walk (walk with heavy DBs), hang on the pullup bar for time, pinch plates...etc. The key is to practice it or it will not get better. So throw away the wraps, gloves and all those things...just use your hands and some chaulk and you will have a strong grip in no time.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:52 AM   #3
Edward Mathias Wilson

Profile:  
I can hold on to the bar for 15-20 pullups its just that I feel like I can do more but my grip fails.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:04 AM   #4
Jeremy Bloniasz

Profile:
To add to what Mike said, do towel pullups or climb ropes more often.

-Jeremy
Old 09-25-2006, 04:53 AM   #5
William Winger

Profile:
And you could try monkey hangs, alternating one hand on the bar at a time. I'm not sure if it would improve your grip (I think so), but it would be a good way to test it.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:06 AM   #6
Travis Hall

Profile:

start doing one hand hangs from the bar for time.

t.

or do what william said...

(Message edited by street on September 25, 2006)
Old 09-25-2006, 04:03 PM   #7
Edward Mathias Wilson

Profile:  
Thanks for the advice guys... I'll start incorporating your suggestions and see where it gets me
Old 09-25-2006, 04:36 PM   #8
David Aguasca

Profile:
one of the best ways to improve grip strength...try rock climbing! find a climbing gym nearby. if that's out of the question, try some of the following:
-one handed deadlifts
-pinch-gripping 2 weight plates together (10s, 25s, etc.)
-if you have a power rack handy, try heavy finger rolls: set the supports high enough so that you can DL a bar off them easily. load up the barbell with bodyweight (a good place to start) and DL it with palms facing out. then, let the bar roll down your hands, trying to get it as far down your fingertips as possible. play around with reps and sets.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:49 PM   #9
Edward Mathias Wilson

Profile:  
wish i could start rock climbing... ive barely had enough time to do the WODs recently