CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-26-2006, 10:14 AM   #1
John Arthur Spear

Profile:
Since today's WOD included Stiff-Legged Deadlifts, I thought I'd ask a question I've always been curious about: what (if any) is the difference between SLDLs and RDLs? I've seen them referred to interchangeably as basically the same movement, while other times I've read about them as two separate movements (usually RDLs being described with more knee bend and less range of motion)?
Old 08-26-2006, 10:18 AM   #2

Profile:

there is a huge difference. RDL is probably the most misused exercise term in history.

SLDLs are as the front page photo shows - deadlifts with very little knee bend.

RDLs are deadlifts pulled to mid-thigh, at which point the knees are driven forward to finish in the "down" position you see for the second pull in the O-lifts.

Stand by for video.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:19 AM   #4
Mark Gebhard

Profile:
On a related note, anyone have video of a "deadlift high pull," regular not sumo? How would this be different than a clean high pull? This came up in one of the Performance Menus.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:36 PM   #5

Profile:

clean deadlift high pull = clean high pull in the PM. All these videos will be on the PM site by tomorrow.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:22 PM   #6
John Arthur Spear

Profile:
Greg,
Thanks for the insight and videos...that answers my question.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:15 PM   #7
John Seiler

Profile:
Interesting, Jim Schmitz, U.S. Olympic Weightlifting Team Coach 1980, 1988 & 1992, says the RDL goes to the top of the thighs and mentions nothing of the forward knee thrust.
http://ironmind.com/ironcms/export/I...fts/lifts.html
Old 08-27-2006, 12:04 AM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Thanks, as well for the video link, Greg.
I've actually heard that stiff legged deadlifts could be harmful. I imagine because of too much load in those cases?
Old 08-27-2006, 09:43 AM   #9

Profile:

schmitz doesn't explicitly say to drive the knees forward - but he says, "then you return to the almost erect position." at that point in a snatch or clean, your knees would move forward. that the RDL is intended to work positioning for these lifts suggests to me that this knee position is a given.

RE SLDL being dangerous: picking your nose is potentially dangerous too (digital trauma). like most exercises with reputations like this, i'm sure it arose from inexeperienced people performing it improperly. even in the NSCA's textbook, you'll see a picture of a guy performing an SLDL with the roundest back i've ever seen. if you're using an appropriate weight (i.e. not showing off to the chicks across the gym) and keeping the spine in its normal curvature, i don't see the movement being any more dangerous than any other.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:11 AM   #10
Mike Burgener

Profile:
jim schmitz gave the name to rdl's when dragomir and nico vlad came to his gym. jim saw them doing this exercise and therefore named it when they could not come up with a name. yes, jim did say nothing about a forward knee thrust.....as a school teacher i have to tell my kids to bring the bar to mid thigh and then while going erect they drive the knees forward a tad....not a ton, but like greg's video of aimee anaya show. the key is that the knees do not fully extend when bring the body to the upright position. in my teaching method i just have to be more vocal and descriptive with my kids in my pe classes as well as the athletes that train at my gym.