CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
Kurt Armbruster
Member Kurt Armbruster is offline
 
Kurt Armbruster's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Calgary  AB
Posts: 469
HFCS rebranding as Corn Sugar?

Just heard this on the radio:

Googled it, and here is the first result:
http://www.livescience.com/health/et...ar-100914.html

WFS

A couple of pull quotes:
Quote:
Consumption of high-fructose corn syrup is at a 20-year low.

(and later on in the article)

Now the Corn Refiners Association plans to ask the FDA to allow high-fructose corn syrup to be called simple "corn sugar" instead, AP reports.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
Lisa Jeansonne Johnston
Member Lisa Jeansonne Johnston is offline
 
Lisa Jeansonne Johnston's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Covington  LA
Posts: 95
Re: HFCS rebranding as Corn Sugar?

Of course they will rebrand it! Anything to fool consumers and increase sales.

Heinz Ketchup just released the "Back to Basic" version that contains no added sugar including HFCS!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
Shane Skowron
Member Shane Skowron is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Queens  NY
Posts: 3,800
Re: HFCS rebranding as Corn Sugar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Jeansonne Johnston View Post
Heinz Ketchup just released the "Back to Basic" version that contains no added sugar including HFCS!
Can you show me a reference for this?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
Kevin Bowman
Member Kevin Bowman is offline
 
Kevin Bowman's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Elyria  OH
Posts: 250
Re: HFCS rebranding as Corn Sugar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Can you show me a reference for this?
From the Heinz site:
From the Organic, Reduced Sugar and No Salt Added varieties, to the iconic
14 oz. glass bottle and the latest Fridge Fit™ bottle, Heinz® Ketchup delivers what consumers know and love in a variety of choices.
__________________

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
Shane Skowron
Member Shane Skowron is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Queens  NY
Posts: 3,800
Re: HFCS rebranding as Corn Sugar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Bowman View Post
From the Heinz site:
From the Organic, Reduced Sugar and No Salt Added varieties, to the iconic
14 oz. glass bottle and the latest Fridge Fit™ bottle, Heinz® Ketchup delivers what consumers know and love in a variety of choices.
So where does it say no sugar added?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
Kevin Bowman
Member Kevin Bowman is offline
 
Kevin Bowman's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Elyria  OH
Posts: 250
Re: HFCS rebranding as Corn Sugar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
So where does it say no sugar added?
That was the closest that I found. Here is a description of their one-carb ketchup:

our It On... Now you can pour on the Heinz Ketchup without piling on carbs or calories. That’s because Heinz has introduced Heinz One Carb Ketchup. The product has – you guessed it – one gram of total carbohydrates per serving vs. four grams per serving in traditional Heinz Ketchup. And Heinz One Carb Ketchup is no one-trick pony. The condiment also has 75 percent less sugar and only one-third the calories of the traditional variety. Probably the only thing it doesn’t have less of is flavor – the taste of One Carb Ketchup is comparable to the classic Heinz version. 14 oz. Squeeze Bottle

Nutrition facts: serving size 1 tbsp (16g), servings per container about 25, calories 5, fat calories 0, total fat 0, sodium 190mg, total carbs 1g, fiber 0, sugars 0, protein 0.

Ingredients: Tomato concentrate made from red ripe tomatoes, distilled vinegar, salt, onion powder spice, sucralose, natural flavoring.
__________________

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #7
Meghan Reid
Member Meghan Reid is offline
 
Meghan Reid's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Philadelphia  PA
Posts: 2,475
Re: HFCS rebranding as Corn Sugar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Bowman View Post
That was the closest that I found. Here is a description of their one-carb ketchup:

our It On... Now you can pour on the Heinz Ketchup without piling on carbs or calories. That’s because Heinz has introduced Heinz One Carb Ketchup. The product has – you guessed it – one gram of total carbohydrates per serving vs. four grams per serving in traditional Heinz Ketchup. And Heinz One Carb Ketchup is no one-trick pony. The condiment also has 75 percent less sugar and only one-third the calories of the traditional variety. Probably the only thing it doesn’t have less of is flavor – the taste of One Carb Ketchup is comparable to the classic Heinz version. 14 oz. Squeeze Bottle

Nutrition facts: serving size 1 tbsp (16g), servings per container about 25, calories 5, fat calories 0, total fat 0, sodium 190mg, total carbs 1g, fiber 0, sugars 0, protein 0.

Ingredients: Tomato concentrate made from red ripe tomatoes, distilled vinegar, salt, onion powder spice, sucralose, natural flavoring.
DING DING DING!
__________________
Strength is more than just the number of plates on the bar. It is everything that is overcome with each lift. - Liz Edmonds My log (WFS).
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:26 PM   #8
Shane Skowron
Member Shane Skowron is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Queens  NY
Posts: 3,800
Re: HFCS rebranding as Corn Sugar?

Sucralose has no calories. It's not paleo and I'm not saying an artificial sweetener is good for you, but I do think it's probably better than eating stuff with sugar all the time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #9
Matt Haxmeier
Member Matt Haxmeier is offline
 
Matt Haxmeier's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Arvada  CO
Posts: 1,619
Re: HFCS rebranding as Corn Sugar?

I was doing a bit of research on sucralose the other day. There were a large number of studies showing that it is not harmful in reasonable doses and supposedly did not spike insulin. However, on other forums a number of people reported GI issues after consuming it and insulin spiking effects.

To me it's still to be avoided but perhaps a lesser of two evils.

The heinz in my fridge is called simply heinz and has sugar instead of HFCS. I don't eat it anyway, but we have it around for guests.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #10
Katherine Derbyshire
Member Katherine Derbyshire is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle  WA
Posts: 7,596
Re: HFCS rebranding as Corn Sugar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Sucralose has no calories. It's not paleo and I'm not saying an artificial sweetener is good for you, but I do think it's probably better than eating stuff with sugar all the time.
Everything in moderation. I don't see any reason to get all bent out of shape over a spoonful of sugar in your morning coffee, or a touch of sugar as part of a seasoning mix.

If, on the other hand, you're eating so much sugar that it has a major impact, the answer is probably better food choices, not an artificial sweetener.

Katherine
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More on why HFCS is evil Wayne Riddle Nutrition 1 03-24-2010 05:34 PM
Sugar makes a comeback (vs HFCS) Kurt Armbruster Nutrition 8 08-17-2009 10:30 AM
Need Hfcs Articles Michael Halbfish Nutrition 3 02-18-2009 02:24 PM
Ad in "People" re: High Fructose Corn Syrups vs Sugar Ryan Whipple Nutrition 21 09-12-2008 12:18 AM
White Corn Chips vs. Blue Corn Chips? Peter Queen Nutrition 5 04-18-2006 01:22 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.