CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-14-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
Kurt Armbruster

Profile:
HFCS rebranding as Corn Sugar?

Just heard this on the radio:

Googled it, and here is the first result:
http://www.livescience.com/health/et...ar-100914.html

WFS

A couple of pull quotes:
Quote:
Consumption of high-fructose corn syrup is at a 20-year low.

(and later on in the article)

Now the Corn Refiners Association plans to ask the FDA to allow high-fructose corn syrup to be called simple "corn sugar" instead, AP reports.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
Lisa Jeansonne Johnston

Profile:
Re: HFCS rebranding as Corn Sugar?

Of course they will rebrand it! Anything to fool consumers and increase sales.

Heinz Ketchup just released the "Back to Basic" version that contains no added sugar including HFCS!
Old 09-14-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Jeansonne Johnston View Post
Heinz Ketchup just released the "Back to Basic" version that contains no added sugar including HFCS!
Can you show me a reference for this?
Old 09-14-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
Kevin Bowman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Can you show me a reference for this?
From the Heinz site:
From the Organic, Reduced Sugar and No Salt Added varieties, to the iconic
14 oz. glass bottle and the latest Fridge Fit™ bottle, Heinz® Ketchup delivers what consumers know and love in a variety of choices.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Bowman View Post
From the Heinz site:
From the Organic, Reduced Sugar and No Salt Added varieties, to the iconic
14 oz. glass bottle and the latest Fridge Fit™ bottle, Heinz® Ketchup delivers what consumers know and love in a variety of choices.
So where does it say no sugar added?
Old 09-14-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
Kevin Bowman

Profile:

Quote:
So where does it say no sugar added?
That was the closest that I found. Here is a description of their one-carb ketchup:

our It On... Now you can pour on the Heinz Ketchup without piling on carbs or calories. That’s because Heinz has introduced Heinz One Carb Ketchup. The product has – you guessed it – one gram of total carbohydrates per serving vs. four grams per serving in traditional Heinz Ketchup. And Heinz One Carb Ketchup is no one-trick pony. The condiment also has 75 percent less sugar and only one-third the calories of the traditional variety. Probably the only thing it doesn’t have less of is flavor – the taste of One Carb Ketchup is comparable to the classic Heinz version. 14 oz. Squeeze Bottle

Nutrition facts: serving size 1 tbsp (16g), servings per container about 25, calories 5, fat calories 0, total fat 0, sodium 190mg, total carbs 1g, fiber 0, sugars 0, protein 0.

Ingredients: Tomato concentrate made from red ripe tomatoes, distilled vinegar, salt, onion powder spice, sucralose, natural flavoring.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #7
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Bowman View Post
That was the closest that I found. Here is a description of their one-carb ketchup:

our It On... Now you can pour on the Heinz Ketchup without piling on carbs or calories. That’s because Heinz has introduced Heinz One Carb Ketchup. The product has – you guessed it – one gram of total carbohydrates per serving vs. four grams per serving in traditional Heinz Ketchup. And Heinz One Carb Ketchup is no one-trick pony. The condiment also has 75 percent less sugar and only one-third the calories of the traditional variety. Probably the only thing it doesn’t have less of is flavor – the taste of One Carb Ketchup is comparable to the classic Heinz version. 14 oz. Squeeze Bottle

Nutrition facts: serving size 1 tbsp (16g), servings per container about 25, calories 5, fat calories 0, total fat 0, sodium 190mg, total carbs 1g, fiber 0, sugars 0, protein 0.

Ingredients: Tomato concentrate made from red ripe tomatoes, distilled vinegar, salt, onion powder spice, sucralose, natural flavoring.
DING DING DING!
Old 09-14-2010, 07:26 PM   #8
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Sucralose has no calories. It's not paleo and I'm not saying an artificial sweetener is good for you, but I do think it's probably better than eating stuff with sugar all the time.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #9
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

I was doing a bit of research on sucralose the other day. There were a large number of studies showing that it is not harmful in reasonable doses and supposedly did not spike insulin. However, on other forums a number of people reported GI issues after consuming it and insulin spiking effects.

To me it's still to be avoided but perhaps a lesser of two evils.

The heinz in my fridge is called simply heinz and has sugar instead of HFCS. I don't eat it anyway, but we have it around for guests.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #10
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Sucralose has no calories. It's not paleo and I'm not saying an artificial sweetener is good for you, but I do think it's probably better than eating stuff with sugar all the time.
Everything in moderation. I don't see any reason to get all bent out of shape over a spoonful of sugar in your morning coffee, or a touch of sugar as part of a seasoning mix.

If, on the other hand, you're eating so much sugar that it has a major impact, the answer is probably better food choices, not an artificial sweetener.

Katherine