CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-13-2010, 10:10 AM   #1
Jacob Markowitz

Profile:
Does a carb reduction need to result in Ketogenesis to be effective?

I know that a big point of carb-counting diets is to induce ketogenesis and change the way your body metabolizes fat.

Unfortunately, this requires an almost complete removal of carbs from the diet, i.e. bringing carbs down to 5% or so of daily intake.

I've recently reduced my carb intake from probably around 60% on the average day to 30% of my calories, and I'm bringing it down further to 20%.

Will I see any benefits at all from the less-carbs aspect of my diet, or will any benefits be based much more on what I am eating rather than what I'm not?
Old 09-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
Walker Fenz

Profile:
Re: Does a carb reduction need to result in Ketogenesis to be effective?

I stumbled on this recently and you may find it valuable too (how the different carb levels affect you)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-p...rate-continuum (WFS)

So to answer your post' title question: No.

To answer, "Will I see any benefits at all from the less-carbs aspect of my diet" -Yes, anything from better health to weight loss, depending on your intake.

As to, "or will any benefits be based much more on what I am eating rather than what I'm not?" I think the answer is also yes, as you will be affected (either positively or negatively) by everything else you eat.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:10 AM   #3
Ramon Gomez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Markowitz View Post
I know that a big point of carb-counting diets is to induce ketogenesis and change the way your body metabolizes fat.

Unfortunately, this requires an almost complete removal of carbs from the diet, i.e. bringing carbs down to 5% or so of daily intake.

I've recently reduced my carb intake from probably around 60% on the average day to 30% of my calories, and I'm bringing it down further to 20%.

Will I see any benefits at all from the less-carbs aspect of my diet, or will any benefits be based much more on what I am eating rather than what I'm not?
There are two different things there: carb-restriction, and carb-REMOVAL.

Carb-REMOVAL is for non-athletes, and isn't part of a sustainable lifestyle. Plainly, ketogenesis results in lower energy levels, and simulates the effects of starvation. You can't eat like that for the rest of your life, so forget about it.
Carb-restriction, on the other hand, doesn't rely on ketogenesis; it relies on the insulin and hormonal responses caused by the macronutrients (protein, carbs, fat). When you talk about something like Paleo, it also relies on the higher nutritional level of the food involved. You CAN engage in carb-restriction as a lifestyle for the rest of your life.
They aren't the same thing.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:25 AM   #4
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Markowitz View Post

Fat oxidation increases whenever there is a negative energy balance so you don't need to cut carbs to lose weight just calories.

Energy deficit without reducing dietary carbohydrate alters resting carbohydrate oxidation and fatty acid availability. (wfs)
Old 09-14-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Jason Peacock

Profile:

Also, some people are more carb sensitive than others. I found that I need to be very-low-carb (essentially zero carb, I have veggies every couple of days) in order to see improvements.

Just doing 'low-carb' wasn't good enough for me.

And if you think about it, what carbs do you *need*? Meat is good. Fat is good. Veggies & fruit are seasonal, so you'd occasionally get a serving here and there but only with modern agriculture have they become year-round staples.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Peacock View Post
Also, some people are more carb sensitive than others. I found that I need to be very-low-carb (essentially zero carb, I have veggies every couple of days) in order to see improvements.

Just doing 'low-carb' wasn't good enough for me.

And if you think about it, what carbs do you *need*? Meat is good. Fat is good. Veggies & fruit are seasonal, so you'd occasionally get a serving here and there but only with modern agriculture have they become year-round staples.
This. It depends on you, your genetics, etc. Experiment and see what works for you. Me, if I drive by a potato farm i need to loosen my belt.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Peacock View Post
Apples and other fruits will keep for months without refrigeration, either in cold cellars or dried. So will many vegetables. And in tropical climates, of course, fresh produce is available year-round.

You aren't giving our Paleolithic ancestors much credit. Since they survived, I'd guess they knew at least as much as we do about basic food preservation.

Katherine
Old 09-14-2010, 05:46 PM   #8
Chris Mason

Profile:

The short answer is very likely yes. Carb reduction should aid your insulin sensitivity which in turn should result in some body fat loss unless you are consuming calories significantly in excess of what you use.