CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-13-2010, 11:09 AM   #11
Larry Hotchkiss

Profile:
Re: The Bad Side of Fish Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Martin View Post
Then the answer is easy.
Pick a route and stick with it.
Or, try one way, see how ya feel and perform, then switch and try the other way and see how ya feel and perform and make a decision based on how you feel and perform.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:19 AM   #12
Noah Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hotchkiss View Post
Or, try one way, see how ya feel and perform, then switch and try the other way and see how ya feel and perform and make a decision based on how you feel and perform.
That too..play around.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #13
Larry Hotchkiss

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
I'm at work and don't have time to listen to it. Maybe you can briefly restate his reasons for being anti-fish oil? I would really like to know what they are.
To add a little more to this, Peskin claims that to know how much O6 to O3 we need we should take a cue from the cells in our body.

He claims the brain and nervous system...

Quote:
It is known from pathology studies that the brain
and nervous system have a ratio of one hundred parts parent omega-6 to
one part omega-3 (100:1).
and...

Quote:
a muscle contains 6.5 times more omega-6 than omega-3
Its estimated 50% of the O6 we take in ruined due to processing, chemicals and preservatives and therefor is worthless to the body. The problem, as he sees it, is that our body has no way of differentiating between "ruined" O6 and viable O6. so it will attempt to use the ruined O6 but of course not get any benefit. His theory is that because you are taking damaged O6 that is still taken up by the cell but is inert or worthless you need to not only replace the damaged 50% but also take more to increase the odds that the O6 molecule that does hit the cell is a good one.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:28 PM   #14
Simon Edmundson

Profile:

This theory is nothing/very little to do with performance. Its all about cells breathing and preventing cancer. Some have probably commented without listening and thats cool but performance is not what this is about. Most CFers use this message board to learn something new to improve performance. Fish oil might have been proven to help performance but what Brian is talking about is long term health. Fish oil and omega-3 has become a widely used supplement over recent years, however many on a low carb diet frollow the paleo way. Was there wide spread use of fish oild 100's/1000's of years ago. This is a new theory which has shown great results. This is one thing I would like to learn more about. How was this balance that Brian is talking about achieved in the past. Was it done through untampered with quailty meat or a simple low carb diet. Who knows?
Old 09-13-2010, 12:29 PM   #15
Marcel Zwinger

Profile:

so it may also mean: buy quality fish oil, not cheap worthless crap
Old 09-13-2010, 12:47 PM   #16
Simon Edmundson

Profile:

Nice idea Marcel. The difference between how omega-6 and omega-3 work however means that no matter how good a quailty fish oil you buy omega-3 will never be omega-6. Have a good listen to Brians blog. If you still think its a load of rubbish please feel free to chat to me about it. The more ideas or information I can take on the better. Here's a link for anybody who wants a listen.

http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/s...r-episode-316/YOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS AS TO WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE

I think thats the last time I'll ask people to listen lol. Sounds like I'm advertising it now.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:55 PM   #17
Larry Hotchkiss

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Edmundson View Post
This theory is nothing/very little to do with performance. Its all about cells breathing and preventing cancer. Some have probably commented without listening and thats cool but performance is not what this is about. Most CFers use this message board to learn something new to improve performance. Fish oil might have been proven to help performance but what Brian is talking about is long term health.
I agree Brian is speaking largely from a cancer standpoint BUT his stance is about getting oxygen to the cell which will also should have a dramatic effect on performance both during exercise and for recovery.

Quote:
Fish oil and omega-3 has become a widely used supplement over recent years, however many on a low carb diet frollow the paleo way. Was there wide spread use of fish oild 100's/1000's of years ago. This is a new theory which has shown great results. This is one thing I would like to learn more about. How was this balance that Brian is talking about achieved in the past. Was it done through untampered with quailty meat or a simple low carb diet. Who knows?
Sears's theory of evolution is based on humans consuming EFA's. I have not read enough about Brians work to know if he ever said we got "enough" O6 in the past BUT he makes it pretty clear that as society has shifted food sources to those of a more processed and contaminated nature (pesticides etc) the amount of viable O6 in our foods has decreased. Combine that with the fact the content of the average westernized diet has shifted to include more and more processed foods it further means our viable O6 consumption drops even more.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:56 PM   #18
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Was there wide spread use of fish oild 100's/1000's of years ago.
No.

Quote:
This is a new theory which has shown great results. This is one thing I would like to learn more about. How was this balance that Brian is talking about achieved in the past. Was it done through untampered with quailty meat or a simple low carb diet. Who knows?
Still haven't heard the podcast, but the answer is that thousands of years ago, meat, eggs, and milk all had high levels of omega-3 because they were from grassfed animals.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:11 PM   #19
Simon Edmundson

Profile:

Larry, that's what I learned from it. Therefore a low carb unprocessed diet would start to reduce unusable bad 06 and allow for the proper intake of good 06 into the cells. The amount of 03 in the food is not the issue. It's the bad 06 - heated veg oils which are found in much processed food. Meat, eggs etc probably did contain healthier oils and nowadays because of how much people have tampered with our food source the balance is lost. Grass fed and unprocessed is the way forward but do we need to take supplementation ontop of dietary changes to benefit fully.

Last edited by Simon Edmundson : 09-13-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:21 PM   #20
Larry Hotchkiss

Profile:

Quote:
Grass fed and unprocessed is the way forward but do we need to take supplementation ontop of dietary changes to benefit fully.
Thats the $1,000,000 question isnt it . Wish I had an answer. My guess however would be that the folks eating paleo or very clean zone likely already have a lot lower intake of "ruined" O6 and therefor need less supplementation than say the average american who exists on fast food and frozen pizza's but how much less is the question?

And then of course if Brians theory is accurate and its not that O6 is bad but ruined O6 that is bad and if the body can make derivatives (ie epa/dha) as needed provided it has the building blocks (ie parent viable EFA in O6 and O3 form) then we may likely find people taking much more than needed of those to promote performance.

Last edited by Larry Hotchkiss : 09-13-2010 at 01:32 PM.