CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-13-2010, 05:10 AM   #1
Simon Edmundson

Profile:
The Bad Side of Fish Oil

Has anybody listened to The Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Show episode 316 titled: Professor Brian Peskin Tells the Hidden Story of Cancer.

It might make some people think completely different about taking fish oil supplements. I've now stopped taking them and follow Brian's approach I feel different....more energy during CF/Gym sessions.

Anybody got an opinion about his theories.....this is open to discussion.

Warning - itís a 50-60 minute listen but so very worth it.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
Shane Skowron

Profile:
Re: The Bad Side of Fish Oil

I'm at work and don't have time to listen to it. Maybe you can briefly restate his reasons for being anti-fish oil? I would really like to know what they are.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
Larry Hotchkiss

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
I'm at work and don't have time to listen to it. Maybe you can briefly restate his reasons for being anti-fish oil? I would really like to know what they are.
He is basically saying that fish oils are derivatives of the essential parent oils. Our bodies can make the needed derivatives if given the parent. The problem we have is that most of the omega6 and 3's we get are destroyed by the processing.

He (peskin) claims supplementation is needed but the type currently recommended is wrong. He says we need to have oils that are organic parent oils in a ratio of 1:1 to 2:1 of omega6 to omega3.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:23 AM   #4
Chris Mason

Profile:

He is wrong about fish oil. There are a myriad of studies supporting its efficacy...

WFS: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

There hyper-naturalist types drive me a bit nuts sometimes...
Old 09-13-2010, 08:44 AM   #5
Larry Hotchkiss

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
He is wrong about fish oil. There are a myriad of studies supporting its efficacy.
Is he? Ive read plenty of studies but one thing thats rarely very clear is the exact makup and process in which the fish oil used in the study was collected.

All the fish oil we get has oil with a portion of it epa/dha. Currently the focus seems to be on the epa/dha portion and less on the processing or how much of the parent essential portion is in the product. It could very well be that the oils used in efficacy studies where in line (maybe intentionally, maybe not) with what Peskin is recommending.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
Noah Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hotchkiss View Post
He is basically saying that fish oils are derivatives of the essential parent oils. Our bodies can make the needed derivatives if given the parent. The problem we have is that most of the omega6 and 3's we get are destroyed by the processing.

He (peskin) claims supplementation is needed but the type currently recommended is wrong. He says we need to have oils that are organic parent oils in a ratio of 1:1 to 2:1 of omega6 to omega3.

Listen to Robb Wolf's Paleolithic Solution Podcast 2-3 can't remember which one....

He talks about omega 6-3 ratios and say's most of us actually have an omega 6 ratio of about 20-1 hence all the health problems most North Americans suffer...
Old 09-13-2010, 09:38 AM   #7
Larry Hotchkiss

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Martin View Post
Listen to Robb Wolf's Paleolithic Solution Podcast 2-3 can't remember which one....

He talks about omega 6-3 ratios and say's most of us actually have an omega 6 ratio of about 20-1 hence all the health problems most North Americans suffer...
Peskin doesnt argue that we get a lot of omega6. He argues that most of the omega6 we get is junk, destroyed by processing and not the actual parent essential undestroyed form which is where he states the problem lies.

Once again, I am not saying he is correct but at the same time nothing I have seen directly refutes his claims. Everything I have seen (and mind you what I have seen is by no means all encompassing) simply states the problem lies elsewhere.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:07 AM   #8
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Once again, I am not saying he is correct but at the same time nothing I have seen directly refutes his claims. Everything I have seen (and mind you what I have seen is by no means all encompassing) simply states the problem lies elsewhere.
Other people have made the opposite clam and provided data to support this. he is making a claim and providing no evidence to support the claim?
Old 09-13-2010, 10:12 AM   #9
Larry Hotchkiss

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post
Other people have made the opposite clam and provided data to support this. he is making a claim and providing no evidence to support the claim?
Actually he references a lot of clinical studies that support his claim.

Which side is correct? Kind of like the high carb low carb debate going on

To bad its so much work for us average folks to try and get to the bottom of it.

Last edited by Larry Hotchkiss : 09-13-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:04 AM   #10
Noah Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Actually he references a lot of clinical studies that support his claim.

Which side is correct? Kind of like the high carb low carb debate going on

To bad its so much work for us average folks to try and get to the bottom of it.

Then the answer is easy.
Pick a route and stick with it.

I'm going to continue to take a lot of good quality fish oil.

And a low carb diet....

It's like anything - research will point us one way and another.....Can't win.