CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-13-2010, 07:40 PM   #11
Lauren Gardner

Profile:
Talking Re: Can someone please give me a base?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Chung View Post
The short answer is, it depends, and you need to tinker.

It's up to you, your goals, and your health concerns.

If you need to lean out, I would limit fruit. Other health issues may warrant limiting fructose intake (cancer, auto-immune issues, inflammation, for example).

Some people eat more fruit in the summer when they are in season, when sunlight is abundant, and when vitamin D levels are high, which may mitigate the insulin resistance that fructose can cause.

If you need to gain weight, or if you find that you need more carb sources to fuel athletic performance, you may want to eat more fruit.

Mat Lalonde seems to think fructose is the devil; Robb Wolf seems to take a more moderate approach; other people think fructose can't be that bad if it's in the context of real fruit and not, say, smoothies or high-fructose corn syrup. In the end, you need to figure out what works for you and do some research into the supposed benefits of fruit vs. the supposed dangers of fructose.

In the beginning, if you are still kinda figuring out the whole Paleo thing, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Make sure everything else is in place first, then start tinkering with fruit.

Great! Yeah that's kind of what i figured. Like i've said before I come from a "clean" eating background, so i've modified what I normally do with some of what I've learned about paleo and zone, as I get more comfortable with either i'll figure out where to go from there. Right now I just want to get stronger, leaner, and generally more "fit". Thanks everyone for the advice!