CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-10-2010, 05:44 AM   #1
Lauren Gardner

Profile:
Talking Can someone please give me a base?

Hey guys! I'm fairly new to CF, as is my husband. We've been doing it for about 2 weeks straight now. We are both interested in the Paleo diet, but since i'm the cook in the house I really need to understand how this works. We both follow a clean diet regime normally- so I don't expect the transition to Paleo to to be that difficult but I need some guidelines and maybe even a source for some good recipes? My goals with crossfit are to develop more athletisism and over all fitness while losing body (post-baby) fat. My husband is using it to train up for a deployment as well as general fitness. He's truly the "fit" one of us as his is in the service and has been athletic all his life. Please help!! I truly want to get the hang of this. Thanks!!

Lauren
Old 09-10-2010, 06:02 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Can someone please give me a base?

What do you not understand? Paleo is pretty simple--nothing processed, no grains, no rice, no pasta, no legumes, no dairy, no added sugar or HFCS. Basically meat, fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and good fats like olive oil and avocados. Do some reading around on this forum, Cordain's site, Mark's Daily Apple, R. Wolf's site, Whole9, and those should give you all the information you need. Google "Paleo recipes" and you'll get about a million links.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Here ya go! http://paleodiet.com/ WFS
Old 09-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #4
Lauren Gardner

Profile:

Thanks guys! I was basically looking for structure to the diet, i understand what to eat/not to eat. However we're used to eating every 2-3hrs alternating snacks and meals. I was also looking at how to incorporate more carbs into my husbands diet as he needs them with all the stuff he does in addition to crossfit. And definitely some yummy recipes if anybody has any. Thanks again!
Old 09-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Medjool Dates and Avocadoes are my favorite carby foods, but some other ideas are blueberry, banana, fig, grapes, apple, pear, pineapple, strawberry, sweet potatoes, and carrots

A favorite recipie of mine is Stuffed Avocado:
Mix diced red onion, diced mango (with juice if possible), and smoked salmon.
Slice a ripe (not mushy) avocado in half vertically, remove the seed.
Scoop salmon mixture into the hole left by the seed.
Grab a spoon and Enjoy!

You can also cube the avocado and mix it in to make a great cracker dip to take to parties with you, that can stealthily act as your dinner with non-paelo folks!
Old 09-10-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
Jae Chung

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Gardner View Post
Thanks guys! I was basically looking for structure to the diet, i understand what to eat/not to eat. However we're used to eating every 2-3hrs alternating snacks and meals. I was also looking at how to incorporate more carbs into my husbands diet as he needs them with all the stuff he does in addition to crossfit. And definitely some yummy recipes if anybody has any. Thanks again!
At every meal, eat some meat or fish or eggs. Add some vegetables or a salad if desired. Extra fat can come from nuts (sparingly) or avocados or coconut oil. High-quality butter is also fine although not technically Paleo.

Eat when you are hungry, not on a schedule.

Don't assume that your husband needs more carbs just because he does other things. There are endurance athletes out there who eat low-ish carb, high-fat in training. Tinker with this.

If you like, try experimenting with no extra carbs for breakfast (just protein and fat), and a relatively high-carb post-workout meal. There are upsides and downsides to this, and it does depend on your individual body and your goals.

Recipes:

There are a ton of great paleo recipes online. Here are two links to get you started.

Search Engine
http://everydaypaleo.com/

both wfs
Old 09-11-2010, 04:10 PM   #7
Lauren Gardner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
Medjool Dates and Avocadoes are my favorite carby foods, but some other ideas are blueberry, banana, fig, grapes, apple, pear, pineapple, strawberry, sweet potatoes, and carrots

A favorite recipie of mine is Stuffed Avocado:
Mix diced red onion, diced mango (with juice if possible), and smoked salmon.
Slice a ripe (not mushy) avocado in half vertically, remove the seed.
Scoop salmon mixture into the hole left by the seed.
Grab a spoon and Enjoy!

You can also cube the avocado and mix it in to make a great cracker dip to take to parties with you, that can stealthily act as your dinner with non-paelo folks!
that sounds yummy! and i'm a huge fan of avacado! thanks!
Old 09-11-2010, 04:13 PM   #8
Lauren Gardner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Chung View Post
At every meal, eat some meat or fish or eggs. Add some vegetables or a salad if desired. Extra fat can come from nuts (sparingly) or avocados or coconut oil. High-quality butter is also fine although not technically Paleo.

Eat when you are hungry, not on a schedule.

Don't assume that your husband needs more carbs just because he does other things. There are endurance athletes out there who eat low-ish carb, high-fat in training. Tinker with this.

If you like, try experimenting with no extra carbs for breakfast (just protein and fat), and a relatively high-carb post-workout meal. There are upsides and downsides to this, and it does depend on your individual body and your goals.

Recipes:

There are a ton of great paleo recipes online. Here are two links to get you started.

Search Engine
http://everydaypaleo.com/

both wfs

interesting. what about fruits? i've seen some different opinions on how much/how often fruits should be incorporated. i'm used to monitering how much fruit i eat because of the sugar, does this matter much?
Old 09-11-2010, 08:53 PM   #9
Michael Dries

Profile:

Robb Wolf's new book the Paleo Solution has a 30 day meal plan in it.

The paleo diet by Cordain also has a meal plan or at least recipes.

Or it's a simple as

meat + veggie + cooking oil + herbs and spices

Sub in some fruit or yams/squash every so often for variety.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #10
Jae Chung

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Gardner View Post
interesting. what about fruits? i've seen some different opinions on how much/how often fruits should be incorporated. i'm used to monitering how much fruit i eat because of the sugar, does this matter much?
The short answer is, it depends, and you need to tinker.

It's up to you, your goals, and your health concerns.

If you need to lean out, I would limit fruit. Other health issues may warrant limiting fructose intake (cancer, auto-immune issues, inflammation, for example).

Some people eat more fruit in the summer when they are in season, when sunlight is abundant, and when vitamin D levels are high, which may mitigate the insulin resistance that fructose can cause.

If you need to gain weight, or if you find that you need more carb sources to fuel athletic performance, you may want to eat more fruit.

Mat Lalonde seems to think fructose is the devil; Robb Wolf seems to take a more moderate approach; other people think fructose can't be that bad if it's in the context of real fruit and not, say, smoothies or high-fructose corn syrup. In the end, you need to figure out what works for you and do some research into the supposed benefits of fruit vs. the supposed dangers of fructose.

In the beginning, if you are still kinda figuring out the whole Paleo thing, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Make sure everything else is in place first, then start tinkering with fruit.