CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-09-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
Arturo Garcia

Profile:
Leptin - Does anyone know about this hormone?

Hello folks. This might be a bit long but please try and read it if you are into this stuff, I'm finding it very interesting. Note I searched for posts with the word Leptin in the subject and found just one result from 2005!

I lost a bunch of weight over 4 years ago by low-carbing and doing cardio.. I didn't know any better at the time as I was just starting to read about nutrition (Atkins and South Beach were my first books). I've managed to stay "in shape" although I never got ripped or anything, I eat very close to strict Paleo nowdays, very close. But I have always wondered why I don't see the results others see... guys with better genetics can eat something like 80% paleo and get shredded. I eat VERY strict and still have love handles. I've tried IF, eating more, etc, and it's just hard to get rid of this fat. It kills me to see the great results others get, while I don't get them and I've been trying for so long, and have gotten to the point where I've disciplined myself in a way that I don't even crave sugar anymore. I rarely have cheats, I've been at this for so long that it's almost as if I don't need them anymore. Sure, if I eat a cake I will really enjoy it, I'm sure of that, but I can avoid that kind of food with no problems. I don't even eat a lot of starchy fruit or tubers. But still it seems my "genes" are to blame... or so I tell myself. Which brings me to wonder so many things....

Like, we know this type of nutrition helps pretty much everyone, but what causes these different metabolisms in people in the first place? Why do we have one 11 year old kid twice the weight of his classmate, when the thin one could very well be eating not-so-different from the fat one? I still have friends who are just naturally thin and live on junk food and beer. Why do these people not get fat like I did when I was younger? Is it that thyroid gland?? Did it stop functioning correctly? How do I make it work as efficiently as in those individuals? I'd KILL to have their metabolism. My wife is one of those people... we have 2 kids, she's 110# pounds and can eat ANYTHING she wants, including cakes very often, etc. I cannot imagine the gains she'd make if she ate like me! And I cannot imagine the gains I'd make with that metabolism!

Anyways, I found this link: http://180degreehealth.blogspot.com/search/label/Leptin

I found it while reading on Insulin. Someone stated that Leptin plays a huge role. So far, as I understand it, Leptin levels drop when we're losing fat and signals us to be hungry, signals our bodies to lower the temperature (to expend less energy), etc. Correct me if I'm wrong please. I have noticed sometimes I'm cold when others aren't, I wonder if my body temperature is lower than normal... I might test this with a thermometer and report back, could be interesting.

Anyways this guy in this blog suggests one cheat day per week, because he states that "overfeeding" on foods that the "Paleophiles" would typically label as crap (corn, pizza, etc) once a week raises the Leptin levels back to normal, and thus, signaling the body to not be as hungry, to raise the temperature a bit, and not store fat anymore. I might have understood this incorrectly so please correct me if I'm wrong.

I usually have no cheats, and this info on Leptin is actually motivating me to "overfeed" on crapfood once a week. I wonder if it'll help. So this is the question I have folks, after such a long introduction (sorry about that!), has anyone experimented on themselves by doing this? Any changes, results... ? What is the general concensus on Leptin? Back in that post from 2005 in these forums, not much was known! Now there are some authors writing about it, doing experiments with rats, etc. I don't have time right now but tomorrow I will do some more research on Leptin for sure, in the mean time, if any fellow board member has any insight... post away!

Thank you!!
Old 09-09-2010, 04:57 PM   #2
Joe Buckley

Profile:
Re: Leptin - Does anyone know about this hormone?

WFShttp://www.marksdailyapple.com/carb-...d-weight-loss/
Old 09-09-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
Seth Hollen

Profile:

as an aside... Leptin is affected by sleep as well. when your sleep is reduced either from too short of a duration from time in bed or maybe your sleep is fragmented from things, like apnea, a bed partner, restless legs syndrome, alcohol. it screws up your leptin levels which makes you cave food, especially carbs.

i am such a sleep nerd
Registered Sleep tech (RPSGT #8067) I work in a sleep lab feel free to ask me any sleep questions you may have, I'll try to help.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:07 AM   #4
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

I think these might answer some of your questions -

Update on Adipocyte Hormones: Regulation of Energy Balance and Carbohydrate/Lipid Metabolism.

Changes in adipocyte hormones and lipid oxidation associated with weight loss and regain in severely obese adolescents.

*All links wfs*

Last edited by Darryl Shaw : 09-10-2010 at 06:20 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:34 AM   #5
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Joe: thank you!

From what I've read, I think this is what has happened to me. I tried to restrict carbs and possibly calories for too long... my leptin levels must be as crappy as it can get.

I will experiment with this, and since they may be so crappy I will refeed twice a week like Mark suggests. Good thing he says grains are still bad (unlike the other website I was reading), so I guess I'll go crazy on the sweet potatoes, yams, cassaba, plantains, etc. twice a week, on my two heavy lifting days as he says.

One thing was unclear to me though, if fat doesn't have short term effect on Leptin, why should we strive to eat less fat on refeed days? Just so we don't go crazy on the total calories?

Anyways I'm gonna do this as I seem to be suffering from exactly what happens when Leptin is low, hopefully I'll report back with good results soon.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:36 AM   #6
Michael Dries

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
I lost a bunch of weight over 4 years ago by low-carbing and doing cardio.. I didn't know any better at the time as I was just starting to read about nutrition (Atkins and South Beach were my first books). I've managed to stay "in shape" although I never got ripped or anything, I eat very close to strict Paleo nowdays, very close. But I have always wondered why I don't see the results others see... guys with better genetics can eat something like 80% paleo and get shredded. I eat VERY strict and still have love handles. I've tried IF, eating more, etc, and it's just hard to get rid of this fat. It kills me to see the great results others get, while I don't get them and I've been trying for so long, and have gotten to the point where I've disciplined myself in a way that I don't even crave sugar anymore. I rarely have cheats, I've been at this for so long that it's almost as if I don't need them anymore. Sure, if I eat a cake I will really enjoy it, I'm sure of that, but I can avoid that kind of food with no problems. I don't even eat a lot of starchy fruit or tubers. But still it seems my "genes" are to blame... or so I tell myself. Which brings me to wonder so many things....
I'm in the same boat as you. I was 60lbs heavier a year and a half ago and I'm struggling to get my abs up. In the last 2 weeks I've done a few things differently with awesome results.

a) removed nuts from my already paleo diet. I noticed I was hungrier AFTER eating them than before. Don't know why, it's just me I guess.
b) replaced the nuts with more coconut, avocado and guacamole and olive oil.
c) Really hammered the meat/veggies/fat meal down. I don't have fruit all that often and when I do (usually on weekends) it's of the higher glycemic variety, reducing my exposure to fructose.
d) removed all "its kinda paleo but not" meats, hot dogs, sausage, etc that I can't get an ingredients list on.
e) kept my training smart, I crossfit 3 times a week, mon/wed/fri with a focus on strength work before the wod, on "off days" I'll either do some sprint work (less than 10 minutes worth) or do some long walks/hikes.
f) dialed my SLEEP in. SLEEP as Seth noted is so much more important than people give it credit for. Get you butt in bed early and get as much sleep as possible. I believe the quote is "Get as much sleep as you can without getting fired or divorced."

Since implementing those changes I'm beginning to see my abs.

Quote:
Like, we know this type of nutrition helps pretty much everyone, but what causes these different metabolisms in people in the first place? Why do we have one 11 year old kid twice the weight of his classmate, when the thin one could very well be eating not-so-different from the fat one? I still have friends who are just naturally thin and live on junk food and beer. Why do these people not get fat like I did when I was younger? Is it that thyroid gland?? Did it stop functioning correctly? How do I make it work as efficiently as in those individuals? I'd KILL to have their metabolism. My wife is one of those people... we have 2 kids, she's 110# pounds and can eat ANYTHING she wants, including cakes very often, etc. I cannot imagine the gains she'd make if she ate like me! And I cannot imagine the gains I'd make with that metabolism!
This usually boils down to a person's individual carb and insulin sensitivity. Some people get fat just thinking about food and others can eat whatever they want and never gain an ounce. It's the luck of the genetic draw. A lot of this stuff of also influenced early in life. Folks are are active as kids tend to stay more muscular and lean as they age. At the end of the day though, they have their metabolism, you have yours. Work with what you have.

Quote:
I think you are over thinking this, as I once did when I hit a road block. Plenty of people have gotten lean and strong without ever hearing the word leptin. Take a serious look at your food, your activity and your sleep. However the link above that Joe gave is a great resource.

Quote:
Anyways this guy in this blog suggests one cheat day per week, because he states that "overfeeding" on foods that the "Paleophiles" would typically label as crap (corn, pizza, etc) once a week raises the Leptin levels back to normal, and thus, signaling the body to not be as hungry, to raise the temperature a bit, and not store fat anymore. I might have understood this incorrectly so please correct me if I'm wrong.
Citing Leptin as a reason to feast on things that could make you sick (dairy destroys me, grains just give me a headache) is just foolish. If you want to do a carb refeed you'd be much better off hitting real food like yams, sweet potatoes, fruit and maybe some corn and rice.

Even if neolithic foods don't make you sick, the sugar content in them (I'm talking baked goods) has a really good shot at spinning a person out. Next thing you know you've just eaten 3/4 a pizza and a gallon of ice cream to the tune of 4000 calories.

Last edited by Michael Dries : 09-10-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:39 AM   #7
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Michael, thanks for such detailed response. Since your response came just 2 minutes after my previous one, I take you didn't read the one I posted since it must've taken more than 2 minutes to type all of that.

Your advice is greatly appreciated, and as you can see from my previous reply, I decided to follow Mark's advice on both doing the carb-fest, but doing it with a smart choice of carbs. I wont go down the pizza and ice cream route, I'll still keep grains away. I will just eat tubers (I have access to quite a variety and very cheap) twice a week an top of my already paleo diet and see if that helps at all. I know it can't hurt too bad so why not try it for a couple of weeks? It doesn't sound like it could fatten me up or anything, heh. Well, worst case scenario it does, but probably not that much in a few weeks.

Gotcha on the nuts too. They make me hungry as well.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
Meghan Reid

Profile:

I don't know what you have access to down in your neck of the woods but I just went to the grocery store in my new neighborhood (big Hispanic population/particularly Puerto Rican) and my fiance bought us a million different cool tubers that I'd never heard of. Jautia? Taro? UMMM SO GOOD for carb sources, I hope anyway.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #9
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

We call it Yautía, I think it's the same as taro root. We call Yuca the cassaba which is very common here in the caribbean. We call Ñame what I think you call yam. We obviously have sweet potatoes (Batata) and in this particular country (wouldn't know about others really), something that I believe is not a tuber, but is WIDELY used (probably even more than other tubers nowdays!) are plantains. They grow anywhere in here, and very fast, and any little tree produces a crapload of plantains. They are usually refered to with a term that includes tubers. I usually don't eat them because I feel they're a fruit..?? Heh.

I just found out today that coconut is a nut! LOL, it was in it's name and I never noticed. To my defense, in spanish it's Coco so there's no indication of it being a nut.

I have access to avocados and coconuts and they're cheap so I have my fat sources covered.

Like I said, I'll just experiment with eating a good amount of tubers and fruits on my two heaviest lifting days and see where that gets me.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:08 PM   #10
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:
We call it Yautía, I think it's the same as taro root. We call Yuca the cassaba which is very common here in the caribbean. We call Ñame what I think you call yam. We obviously have sweet potatoes (Batata) and in this particular country (wouldn't know about others really), something that I believe is not a tuber, but is WIDELY used (probably even more than other tubers nowdays!) are plantains. They grow anywhere in here, and very fast, and any little tree produces a crapload of plantains. They are usually refered to with a term that includes tubers. I usually don't eat them because I feel they're a fruit..?? Heh.

I just found out today that coconut is a nut! LOL, it was in it's name and I never noticed. To my defense, in spanish it's Coco so there's no indication of it being a nut.

I have access to avocados and coconuts and they're cheap so I have my fat sources covered.

Like I said, I'll just experiment with eating a good amount of tubers and fruits on my two heaviest lifting days and see where that gets me.
Yes yes and yes! I saw all of the things you mentioned above at the market. SUHWEET. I'm getting a recipe for maduros from my mother in law.