CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 08-19-2010, 07:01 AM   #1
Jesse Richards

Profile:
Introducing Girlfriend

Hey guys, I've been CFing for a year and a half or so, and my girlfriend recently expressed a willingness to try some stuff from my workout routine. (She's been a gym rat for a couple of years, but is a machine junkie)

Our first workout was two days ago, and I started off with the warmup and some Presses (5x5) and air squats, just to get her used to things. She can still barely walk, and hates stairs (maybe 50 air squats) her arms are fine. Any suggestions for convincing her to keep doing them, or suggestions for subbs until she builds up a little capacity for them?

Old 08-19-2010, 07:10 AM   #2
Tavia Redburn

Profile:
Re: Introducing Girlfriend

Hey fellow Okie!

I'm no expert, but I always feel better when my legs are really sore and I work them out again the next day. Monday's WOD included 800m of walking lunges (which I was crippled from) and then Tuesday's WOD was deadlifts. I was *dreading* it because I was so sore, but it ended up helping the soreness. Maybe encourage her that way? Also I would think deadlifts and lunges would be two good ones to help.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:30 AM   #3
Brent Eno

Profile:

Use variation, and make the workouts interesting. Don't just have her squat. That gets both boring and tedious. Make a WOD with wallball, box jumps, light deadlifts...whatever. Just keep it interesting and make her think. Set a realistic time goal, and push her to reach it.

A big motivational moment for most of the women(and men as well) at my box is the first time they are able to do handstand against the wall. Maybe have her work her way up(use abmats to help support).

If all else fails, introduce her to Camille for inspiration:

Old 08-19-2010, 07:35 AM   #4
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

What are her goals?

Old 08-19-2010, 08:44 AM   #5
Brian Bedell

Profile:

I would think that the fact that she is sore for two days after 50 air squats after doing machines for a couple years would be evidence enough that something with her current program is amiss.

But trying to convince a significant other to do CF, or anything, is usually futile. Lead by example with your own results...and maybe she will follow.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:58 AM   #6
Larry Hotchkiss

Profile:

If your into crossfit and she is a gym rat then you have got a big head start on a lot of folks. Try convincing your significant other they should even start to workout, now thats a touchy subject!

What I would recommend is instead of focusing on facts and results, which mean little to many people until they witness them for themselves. You try and focus and focus on some of the other aspects about your significant other doing crossfit with you. The 2 that come to mind off the time of my head are time savings and time spent together.

If she can get in an effective workout in less time than she is now, that should be a check in the positive column for xfit. If you guys can workout together then thats a plus as well since its more time together.

Her soreness will subside quite a bit as she gets used to the xfit syle workouts but that wont happen if she doesnt at least give it a try. See if she will just commit to giving it 3 months and withold final judgement until that time. Let the results speak for themself.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:34 AM   #7
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Word of advice, if you LIKE being in a relationship with this woman, direct her to someone else for her intro (formal or informal) into CrossFit. Don't try to train her yourself.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:59 AM   #8
Mark Kosmowski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Tabor View Post
Word of advice, if you LIKE being in a relationship with this woman, direct her to someone else for her intro (formal or informal) into CrossFit. Don't try to train her yourself.
Sage advice. It is almost always a poor decision for romantic partners to provide professional services to each other.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:31 PM   #9
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavia Redburn View Post
Monday's WOD included 800m of walking lunges (which I was crippled from)
800m? holy cow. I thought the 400m walking lunge workout was plenty.

I just like to point out that all those years in the gym she did previously wasn't enough to prepare her for squatting her own butt a few times. To me that proves it wasn't really doing it's job.

I train with my wife and it works great. Although I can see that causing issues with some couples. My wife isn't the type that blames me when she hurts from a workout or from hitting her face with a barbell and getting a bloody nose during snatch practice.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:21 PM   #10
Jesse Richards

Profile:

wow, thanks for all the replies!

I'm not completely sure what her goals are, last time we talked about it it was "stay healthy". I'm not really coaching her on everything, it's just some basic lifting and some short bodyweight stuff for metcon type deals. She needs to get used to bodyweight stuff and get some practice with basic movements before we start adding intensity or timing stuff. Though I will say that one of the reasons I like it is so we don't just disappear into different areas of the gym for an hour before leaving together. We're supposed to go again tonight, will see how things go then.