CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-02-2010, 07:24 PM   #11
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Knee pain in bottom of squat

Ok, like I said, LEARN HOW TO BOX SQUAT and your problems will go away. Your thruster form simply reinforced that.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #12
Kevin Shaughnessy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Anders Larson View Post
Thanks for the replies so far. It looks like lifting shoes might be a good option for me, but flexibility hopefully will still improve. I did find one video that could be of some help. However, it is of "Fran," so I'm doing thrusters not squats. I'm the one in the white shirt on the far right (closest to camera). It might not help much, but this is all I've got right now.

http://www.youtube.com/user/rhsportf...21/2OdmYdB-tT4
Your knees look like there coming forward on the descent, at one point I think I actually saw your heels leave the ground. Try raising your toes while you squat, it will force you onto your heels.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:58 AM   #13
Robert Anders Larson

Profile:

As I watched the video again, I definitely notice the knees coming forward more than I realized. I will say I have worked on sitting back more in the past few weeks (since the video), but it still needs improvement. And again, the problem of the rounded back comes in when I sit more on my heels, so I still have work to do.

As far as the box squat, could you expand a bit on that? I know what a box squat is and have done them in the past, but could be specific on how I should do them in order to correct this problem? Thanks.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #14
Steven Low

Profile:

Start doing air squats with your toes 1-2" from the wall. It will force you to sit back.

Box squats basically make you sit back as well. Same concept.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #15
Wade Smith

Profile:

Though video was side view, I got the feeling knees were caving in a bit as well.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:51 PM   #16
Chris Mason

Profile:

Steven pretty much nailed it. The box squat forces you to really sit back if done properly. This, in turn, greatly reduces the stress on your knees.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:35 AM   #17
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

Stretch your hamstrings and calves 2-3 times daily using multiple sets(after morning warmup, postworkout, and before bed). Squatting becomes much easier when you don't have excessive tension in these muscles!!!!
Old 04-05-2010, 10:07 AM   #18
Melody Glasgow

Profile:

Getting weight lifting shoes at this point is a mistake. You are rolling forward on the balls of your feet and your knees are coming way out in front of your toes. If you add something that gives you a heel lift, such as weightlifting shoes, it will just mask the issue and reinforce bad technique. Those shoes are a tool that should only be used once your technique and ROM are established.

Work hard on staying on your heels, pushing your knees out, and keeping your lumbar curve. Add two or three sets of five slow squats with perfect form to your warm up and it should fix your issue within a few weeks. You should feel the stretch as your lower back and hips fight with your hamstrings at the bottom of your squat. You will really have to fight to maintain good form at the bottom of the squate initially, but it will get easier the more you do it. It might help to do these in front of a mirror.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:24 PM   #19
Steven Low

Profile:

Need more mobility in the hammies and calves too likely.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:29 PM   #20
Joseph Pasciotty

Profile:

ive been having the same exact problem too ... today the pain in my knee made me cut my workout short ... i need to get a video of me squatting to show you guys ... this is just recently ive been getting it ... im going to try using a piece of 1-2" wood ... and also wall squats ... but the i know they sound pretty straight forward but if someone has a video of them doing them so i could be sure of the rite form on the wall squats id appreciate it ...i really want to get this issue sorted out ... even if it means dropping my weights for a while to correct it ...