CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
Robert Anders Larson

Profile:
Knee pain in bottom of squat

I have been squatting for about 11 or 12 years, and although I have always gone below parallel, I did not realize until about a year ago that I was consistently rounding my back near the bottom. In an effort to correct this (particularly in my air squat), I have turned my feet out a bit and worked and pushing my knees out. I have experimented with a few different feet widths, but usually I'm at about shoulder width.

I still struggle with rounding at the bottom, and it seems this is because I am not hinging enough at the hips and thus have to arch my back to keep from tipping backwards. As I have tried to correct this, I noticed that as I drive my torso forward at the bottom (bending more at the hip), I get a pain in the front of my knee, right below the kneecap and to the outside. If I go reduce my hip flexion and round my back, the pain goes away. I get the same thing if I just sit in a chair with a squat stance and try to hinge forward too far at the waist.

I have been working on my flexibility, and I know it still needs improvement, but I was wondering if anything else could be leading to the knee pain. I have had no significant injuries, other than just a couple of lower-back tweaks (while back squatting, likely because of my back rounding). Has anyone else had this problem and/or does anyone have advice on fixing it? I feel that improving my air squat is critical for me to improve overall and prevent injury.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Knee pain in bottom of squat

Video?
Old 04-01-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
Kevin Shaughnessy

Profile:

Have you tried using a weight or piece of wood to elevate your heels until you can come up with a permanent fix?
Old 04-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
Robert Anders Larson

Profile:

Not sure if I'll be able to get a video anytime soon. I think I know someone who may have one but it could be a few days.

As for elevating the heels, a few people have suggested getting Olympic lifting shoes, so I may look into that. However, ideally I'd like to able to perform a good air squat in a flat-soled shoe or barefoot. Olympic shoes probably wouldn't be ideal for a lot of workouts that include running (like the run 400m, 50 squats, four rounds WOD).
Old 04-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #5
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

Olympic lifting shoes will make a noticeable difference in strength workouts however, and most likely correct your squat issue. Hard to tell you anything else without seeing a video.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:13 PM   #6
Chris Mason

Profile:

Try box squats. Properly performed they place a LOT less stress on the knees than standard free squats.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:24 AM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Stretch your calves and your hamstrings.

I would also suggest foam rolling and/or massaging your quads, hammies, glutes, IT bands, calves, plantar fascia as well.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #8
Chris J Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Stretch your calves and your hamstrings.

I would also suggest foam rolling and/or massaging your quads, hammies, glutes, IT bands, calves, plantar fascia as well.
Yep, good idea.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #9
Daniel Ricksecker

Profile:

Is the plantar fascia the bottom of your foot? Can't find it on the muscle chart I normally use.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:36 PM   #10
Robert Anders Larson

Profile:

Thanks for the replies so far. It looks like lifting shoes might be a good option for me, but flexibility hopefully will still improve. I did find one video that could be of some help. However, it is of "Fran," so I'm doing thrusters not squats. I'm the one in the white shirt on the far right (closest to camera). It might not help much, but this is all I've got right now.

http://www.youtube.com/user/rhsportf...21/2OdmYdB-tT4