CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-19-2010, 08:00 AM   #1
Todd Angel

Profile:
Achilles surgery

Good Morning all,
I have just had achilles debridement surgery 2 weeks ago. I have a few questions; has anyone else had this done?

how would you program for upper body dominate workouts. I have tried my own thing for a bit but it seems to be all over the place.

I was only on crutches for a week, but now my mission is to get full range of motion back-but will not be running for quite some time according to the Dr. Oh yeah, gaining weight too-not good weight either since I am not able to workout like I used too.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
Tony Black

Profile:
Re: Achilles surgery

Hi Todd. I havent had the same injury but ive recovered from a reconstructed ruptered achillies and years later i somehow twinged another one on a drunken night out.....

The "twinge" took about 6 months before it was right again

Some of healing was retarded by my pigheadness and diving back into things too soon!

Basically i ended up staying off ALL weighted movements for half a summer and spent about a 45-60mins a day doing ring work.... Id limp out to the park do a few sets of a move close to failure then waiting for recovery... Then go again. Changing around different moves as i liked no real set plan. Probably go through 5-8 moves per session.

I know that sounds a bit hazey but it was actually quite fun and felt quite productive!

Used to get alot of "do you workout" comments by customers at work and "do you use steriods" comments by youngsters in the park!

I WISH i had set some benchmarks at that time as im fairly certain i was at or close to my strongest - despite never touching iron....

As you might know ANY work on rings stimulates a HUGE NER response which is just pucker for healing!

Also take glucosamine + Vit C 3 times a day. The Vit C is important as the glucosamine doesnt work without vit C as a catalyst.

Eat right and take days off as your body and CNS says.

Just remember the more patient you are the faster youll heal and make progress! Slow is smooth and smooth is fast and all that

Good luck with it mate. Heal strong!
Old 02-20-2010, 04:34 AM   #3
Everett Steinbarger

Profile:

Quote:
Just remember the more patient you are the faster youll heal and make progress! Slow is smooth and smooth is fast and all that

Well said Tony.
Rule #1: Crossfit. Zombies lead a very active life. So should you.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
Todd Angel

Profile:

Tony,

Thanks for the response. I'm sorry about the late response getting back to you, I have been away from the computer for a few days. Your plan intrigues me. If you dont mind me asking; what kinds of moves did you do. Did you do anything more exotic than ring dips, pull ups, muscle ups etc.? I am not that versed in ring training, any recommendations? Thanks again .

Todd
Old 02-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #5
Tony Black

Profile:

Nps Todd i guessed as much with your vocation

I did what ever i fancied!

Skin the cat, front and back lever progressions - L-hang and sits. Invert for time. Dips and pullups....

Im ashamed to say i havent DONE a MU yet! Shameful i know!

Although Jason K's mainpage vid has put some fire in my belly again

Pushups and all the variations - there is a tonne! Id suggest getting on youtube or similar and just going for a browse.... I recall CF demos has a ace one of Annie doing ring pushups!

In effect what id end up doing was either starting the rings "high" (at waist or higher) or low (ground level). Putting in most of the graft there then adjusting the rings to the other level and finishing off there...

I might do the same "routine" 2-3 days running before throwing in new stuff. Or i might vary each day. No set reps or program just playing with the moves greasing the groove (quality work stopping before failure). Having fun!

Thinking back id usually do some stretching - swing arms to get some warmth into shoulders - then play with say skin the cat for a bit - go through 6-8 reps perhaps 3 sets (full recovery). That kinda thing. Most stuff done for quality not time. If i felt i needed some sorta metcon kick id do it at the end and up reps and intensity....

Or id stretch a bit and use the first few sets of pushups and flys as a warmup....

Good fun! Infact this thread has made me miss my rings (which i havent setup since summer!). So much i fancy setting up some hooks in my living room ceiling....

Good luck with it Todd - dont worry about "i havent done this or that before". Playing with the rings i found pretty natural intuitive and fun! You soon find your level and start to progress.... Squeeze that core and generate tension!

Last edited by Tony Black : 02-22-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #6
Todd Angel

Profile:

Tony,

Thank you for the info! You have motivated me as well to get on the rings more. I appreciate it. I put the hooks in my garage as well so nothing should stop me. Take care.

Todd