CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-14-2005, 08:36 AM   #1
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
In the second segment, you mentioned your Top Five Movements to help tactical operators do their jobs better. These is a great list, and you could do a lot with someone's training using only these:

1. Snatch + Overhead Squat (a la Dan John)
2. Thrusters (Front Squat, Push Press, also: Wall Ball) + Overhead Weight Walking
3. Deadlifts + Box Jumps
4. Pullups
5. Kettlebell Swing (and Double Swing)

At least, this is the list I got. If I missed a movement, please let me know.

Obviously, the first three are not irreducible, and thus working on their basic components can help one work on the movement as a whole.

My question lies with number 4. Why just pullups? Everything else is either a complex movement, or a movement leading to a complex movement (the Swing leads to the kettlebell Snatch and Clean&Jerk, and is a powerful movement in it's own right). However, the Pullup could very well be replaced by the Muscle-up, either on rings or on a bar.

I would assume that the Muscle-up would be far superior to include in your Movements list, since it would allow operators like yourself to climb just about anything better, and the pullup/dip combination would take care of most upper body work, especially if you did Ledge Muscle-Ups (for example: on a roof or wall, without the benefit of being able to wrap your fingers around the object) for reps. Anyone who can knock out even five of those can probably scale just about any obstacle that comes their way, provided they can reach it. Even if you only included the rings version, you'd still see an enormous benefit.

I'm just curious as to why you chose the Pullup instead. Great show, by the way. I kicked myself for missing the live version.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:13 PM   #2
Ian Holmes

Profile:
I am going to have to give that a listen this week.

Maybe it isn't on the list because it is as hard as it is... I am unsure... I personally would rather do muscle ups than pullups if I had a space to do them at home... but no they are reserved for the gym...

and not to hijack this thread... but has anybody pulled off a one hand muscle up?
Old 12-15-2005, 07:59 PM   #3
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Ian is right, though a more compound and thus superior movement to be sure it is also inaccessable the the majority of even the CF community. In my view the top exercises would not be so if only a few people can actually do them. By contrast the pullup is present in a lot of our workouts and getting good at them will will really improve your Helen, Fran and many other workout times. It is also a necessary component to the completion of the MU but more importantly it is something most anyone can do with just a little bit of help from bands, a Gravitron, a slight jump or even a spot.

I don't belittle the MU at all of course, I just think it is too difficult for most people and thus less widely done and for that reason not eligible for the top 5. But this was my list and you will notice I tried as best I could to stretch it out past that limit of 5 exercises. Feel free to add the MU to your list.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:27 PM   #4
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Ian: The quesion is Has anyone been able to achieve a 1 handed dip (on a bar or rings)?

I dunno, that seems pretty hard. . .
Old 12-16-2005, 04:20 PM   #5
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Jeremy..

I knowof guys doing one hand pullups, and one hand handstands, I have heard rumors of one handed planches... I would think that if balance was right it would be doable...

I think the ring would have to be dead center in regards to the body. Also you would really need to explode up to get the transition... but it should be possible.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:35 PM   #6
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
Eugene,

That makes perfect sense.