CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-11-2009, 08:10 AM   #11
Paul Sousa

Profile:
Re: Fat Gain on SS

No offense, but you are not a very big guy at all. You really shouldn't worry about a bit of fat at your size. Your lifts are pretty decent, but if you are still making solid linear gains I definitely say you should stick with SS for the time you planned. I am hesitant to tell people to make knee jerk changes to their training as that begins to be a bad habit.

Also, are you really doing a push press? If so, you should change that to a regular standing press as that is what is prescribed in SS.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:15 AM   #12
Charlie Karnick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani Singh View Post
height -5ft 11
Weight- 83kg

Squat- 3 sets of 5 on 100kg=220lbs
Deads- work set on 145kg=319lbs
Push press- 3 sets of 5 on 65kg=143lb
bench press- 3 sets of 5 on 85kg=187lbs

Never really do 1 rep maxes.
no cleans? Also it should be a standing press not a push press. Figure out your exact goals. SS is not designed for weight loss, you will gain fat. so either suck it up (and suck it in) or switch to paleo and cf. U will still gain strength with CF and judging by your numbers you have a lot of room to improve your lifts still. It all comes down to what you want most.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:19 AM   #13
Clay Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani Singh View Post
Thanks for the replys, I am discouraged by the fat gains.
Strength gains = fat gains. Hard to avoid, tho if you add 30 lbs of fat I'd guess you could cut back on the milk a little.

Try dropping the fat after your first or second cycle, and see where that leaves you in terms of overall strength gains.

And yeah, I know it can be a bummer to be putting fat back on when you have worked so hard to take it off.

Good luck!

Last edited by Clay Jones : 11-14-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:25 AM   #14
Greg Privitera

Profile:

I use a measurement around my navel to know when to cut back on food intake.

Once it passes a certain level, I cut way back on the fat and carbs for 1-2 weeks til I lean out. Then muscular gains seem to be faster when getting back to eating big.

Another good guideline would be to stop "bulking" when you can't see your abs anymore.

Also you're really not very big, so don't get too caught up in the fat gain thing. Focus on getting your lifts up and adding bodyweight. losing fat is a lot easier than gaining muscle, if you're free of mental weakness.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:01 PM   #15
Randy Hill

Profile:

Damn the fat gains. You aren't going to get "fat", man, training the way you are. Damn the 6-pack too. It never accomplished anything. Come on Crossfitters! Don't start getting 90's small on me!

www.70sbig.com (WFS)

..Not saying everybody should strive to be 70's big.. Just might help with motivation.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:44 PM   #16
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Control the diet. Eliminate refined carbs as much as possible, eat good meat, and you should converge to your "fit" weight if you keep working hard. Don't fret over +5-10 lb body weight. Beyond that and maybe take some control measures if maintaining/losing is one of your goals. I've been doing back squats almost exclusively as my primary movement for eight weeks now since a broken arm, and lifting heavy alone has made putting on weight rather easy -- I think the hormonal response of strong contractions stimulates hunger noticeably, and you're really not burning that many calories from the lifts so this tends to put on pounds. Currently, I add some hill sprints and/or cone drills in between sets and some more after I'm done lifting, usually for a total of about 6-8 X 60-150 m intervals. I take a full 2-3 min rest between sets as I'm trying to emphasize max effort. The running has made keeping the weight gain under control much easier, as I can add or subtract extra work rather easily depending on how I feel, and since it's not the main priority right now I can cut it back when I need more recovery. Really though this amount of running isn't burning that much either so diet still plays a huge role, although I do think moderate met con has a hunger suppressing effect.

The problem with this is recovery and the added fatigue of running in between sets, especially since I'm trying to follow the Texas Method. I try to balance this out by never running while lifting on the intensity day (which is only 1 day per week), so it really is a max effort, and it's worked well so far especially because when you're used to being somewhat fatigued during later sets from running, putting together strings of heavy singles with no work between sets is just fun and easy by comparison. I can handle a bit more volume than most though, so it really depends on your current fitness level and what you can recover from consistently. If you're still too taxed shorten the sprint lengths (intensity is more important than volume, generally), save the running for after lifting only, and stop when you feel your form breaking down regardless of numbers.

Also, not to hate but there is a tendency in the lifting community in general (which CF has some strong influences from...) towards gains=good regardless of training goals. For absolute strength this is generally true, but a lot of people want to be fast and increase power-to-weight ratio while getting stronger. These don't have to be mutually exclusive goals, although it will be harder to do both. Of course this ****es off some coaches to no end, who have tiny noobs complaining about gaining weight when they can't squat an empty bar, but there is an important difference between that and someone your size who already has the basic mass. Hit the weights hard, but don't let the meathead mentality infect you unless getting big is one of your goals. Flame on!

Last edited by Mauricio Leal : 11-14-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:14 PM   #17
Andrew Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Hill View Post
Damn the fat gains. You aren't going to get "fat", man, training the way you are. Damn the 6-pack too. It never accomplished anything. Come on Crossfitters! Don't start getting 90's small on me!

www.70sbig.com (WFS)

..Not saying everybody should strive to be 70's big.. Just might help with motivation.
True words!