CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-11-2009, 07:05 AM   #1
Mani Singh

Profile:
Fat Gain on SS

Hey guys,

Iv been on SS for around 6 weeks now and was planning to do 6 more weeks. Its a great programme and my numbers have all gone up and are still moving up slowly.

However, I have put on a fair bit of fat around my abdomen since starting the programme. I was previously very obese around 3 yrs ago and after a huge struggle to loose the fat, i resent putting it on again.

My main aim was to increase strength rather than size because i have quite a big frame already. Although i wont say no to big arms lol, strength is what matters to me hence doing ss.

Right now i am unsure of what to do..shall i continue with the programme as it is or add metcon? or change altogether to CFSB?..all i wanna do is get strong and lean.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:20 AM   #2
Oliver Gould

Profile:
Re: Fat Gain on SS

Stop eating so much - you won't make as much progress though. If you want to get lean SS is not the best idea.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:21 AM   #3
Louis Andre Pardo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani Singh View Post
Hey guys,

Iv been on SS for around 6 weeks now and was planning to do 6 more weeks. Its a great programme and my numbers have all gone up and are still moving up slowly.

However, I have put on a fair bit of fat around my abdomen since starting the programme. I was previously very obese around 3 yrs ago and after a huge struggle to loose the fat, i resent putting it on again.

My main aim was to increase strength rather than size because i have quite a big frame already. Although i wont say no to big arms lol, strength is what matters to me hence doing ss.

Right now i am unsure of what to do..shall i continue with the programme as it is or add metcon? or change altogether to CFSB?..all i wanna do is get strong and lean.
Mani,
I think most people here will tell you that is the nature of efficient strengths gains and that it is difficult or slow to put on strength/muscle mass without huge calories and therefore some undesired weight gain. I'm having the same issue- spent nearly 4 months to lose 16 lbs and now, after two weeks of CFSB plus an extra 1400 cal/day I have gained 6 lbs and its not all good weight. I've never done this before so its a little concerning/discouraging...

I think we/I should maybe add one more METCON.

-Andre
Old 11-11-2009, 07:29 AM   #4
Paul Sousa

Profile:

Mani, I say if strength is your main goal right now then stick with SS. You may put on some fat, but after finishing your planned cycle you can then focus on getting lean. If you start cutting calories and/or adding met-cons you are only going to end up sacrificing your strength gains. Get as strong as possible during this time and then once you are happy with your level of strength start eating less and change your training to also meet your needs.

Do you have goals in mind for your lifts? How much do you want to squat, DL, etc? I say set some strength goals and go all out to get there. You can't have everything at once so ignore the added fat and focus on your progress towards those goals. Once you meet them you will feel like you accomplished something and then you can set new goals to focus on.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:36 AM   #5
Mani Singh

Profile:

Thanks for the replys, I am discouraged by the fat gains.

I have set some short-term obtainable goals for my lifts and im on my way to hitting them aswell.

Im not sure about adding in metcons because to be honest i think for me the three SS days are enough and i dont think i could handle another day of working out. Rest and recover are important.

Whats the recommended time ppl do SS? I might cut it so i only have three weeks left.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:42 AM   #6
Paul Sousa

Profile:

People do SS for all different lengths of time. Some do 12 or 16 week cycles while others work it until all their linear gains are done. You are definitely spot on about adding met-cons. If you are pushing yourself hard with SS then any added work can burn you out quickly.

Ultimately it's up to you to decide what is important, but realize that training is a lifelong pursuit. Some added fat as a result of significant strength gains is an easy fix in the grand scheme of things.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:44 AM   #7
Mani Singh

Profile:

Yea i guess i am looking at the short term results of SS rather than what il be able to do once iv finished it.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:48 AM   #8
Kevin Thomas

Profile:

Simple answer is don't eat as much. Don't add a metcon if your concern is fat gain. Diet is the answer. If recovery is an issue, try sleeping more. You wont get as much strength gain if you eat less, but you have to be the one to evaluate if that is a worthwhile tradeoff for you.

The RX time for doing SS is for as long as you can make linear gains. The longer you do it, the more you will get out of it. I did it for about 11 weeks until a bad case of flu and schedule issues caused me to go to mainpage. I gained about 20lbs from doing SS with no increase in pant sizes. I didn't do GOMAD, but did eat a lot.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:49 AM   #9
Paul Sousa

Profile:

Where are you now in terms of height/weight and your lifts?
Old 11-11-2009, 08:01 AM   #10
Mani Singh

Profile:

height -5ft 11
Weight- 83kg

Squat- 3 sets of 5 on 100kg=220lbs
Deads- work set on 145kg=319lbs
Push press- 3 sets of 5 on 65kg=143lb
bench press- 3 sets of 5 on 85kg=187lbs

Never really do 1 rep maxes.