CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 08-21-2009, 09:23 AM   #1
Bruce Duco

Profile:
Is it ok to workout before giving blood?

I don't see why this would be a problem, but the wife is concerned. I was planning on doing todays WOD then heading to a blood drive to benefit an 8 month old who has leukemia. I am in good health, and have never had issues giving blood before.

Anyone see an issue with this?
Old 08-21-2009, 09:26 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Is it ok to workout before giving blood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Duco View Post
I don't see why this would be a problem, but the wife is concerned. I was planning on doing todays WOD then heading to a blood drive to benefit an 8 month old who has leukemia. I am in good health, and have never had issues giving blood before.

Before should be fine. After would be a bad idea. If in doubt, call the Red Cross and ask them.

Just make sure you eat and drink enough.

Katherine
Old 08-21-2009, 09:30 AM   #3
Bruce Duco

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Before should be fine. After would be a bad idea. If in doubt, call the Red Cross and ask them.

Just make sure you eat and drink enough.

Katherine

I don't forsee a problem. I probably wouldn't do it RIGHT after working out. My heart rate might make the blood bag explode.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
Frank E Morel

Profile:

not the day for certain.. next is a 50 50 deal.. alot of people feel a bit under the weather.. kinda like a cold coming on. second day after you should feel fine and have compensated for the loss in volume and your spleen should have compensated for the change in hemoglobin.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
Karin Franklin

Profile:

I've given blood like an hour after working out before and didn't have a problem. Nor do i find that giving blood affects me much the next day. I've never done the double unit thing though because my size disqualifies me (too short and too light).

Last edited by Karin Franklin : 08-06-2010 at 01:03 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #6
Christy Labrie

Profile:

Quote:

I just did this a few weeks ago.
There was maybe 1/2 hr between the two and I was rushing to get there. My heart rate was almost too high to give blood but they tested again a few min later and it was fine.

Got home, got in the shower and almost passed out washing my hair.
My suggestion: Eat on your way to give blood and eat the crap (or take your own) right after you donate.
I didnt eat before or right after thinking I would just eat after my shower. I think that was my biggest issue- and rushing to and from places.

However, I donated "for time" and beat other donaters (they didnt know it was a contest) and I knocked my past donation time out the door.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:49 PM   #7
Mark Kosmowski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy Labrie View Post

However, I donated "for time" and beat other donaters (they didnt know it was a contest) and I knocked my past donation time out the door.
If'n you do what Christy did, you just might be a CrossFitter.

I worked out lightly before giving today and all is well. I treated myself to a naughty dinner and had them bring a pitcher of water to the table right after donating though, so no passing out. I too had to have a second blood pressure done after going through everything else to get the green light.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:57 AM   #8
Betsy Grimm

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kosmowski View Post
I worked out lightly before giving today and all is well. I treated myself to a naughty dinner and had them bring a pitcher of water to the table right after donating though, so no passing out. I too had to have a second blood pressure done after going through everything else to get the green light.
That's a good tip, Mark. I donated on Wednesday and was woozie at the finish line as I often am. I'll have to take my water mug along on the next trip.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:16 AM   #9
J. Thomas Boss

Profile:

Quote:
Judging by the responses up until now, it looks like this is a great opportunity to have a "Rest Day for Humanity." Your conditioning won't decrease in the slightest, and the community (and probably your body) will be eternally grateful for your kindness
Old 08-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #10
Scott Amies

Profile:

Before a WOD is a bad idea, after is not. As has been said, just make sure you eat and drink on your way to the blood bank and after giving the generous gift

I haven't given blood before a WOD but I have had a few vials taken and did a WOD about 1-2hrs later. I got a big hematoma in my forearm and had to stop the WOD