CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 01-29-2010, 07:35 AM   #181
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:
Re: Lifting Heavy, Running Fast, Eating Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kerce View Post
awesome job! a sub 4:00 1000m is a big goal of mine that i'm not quite close to reaching just yet.
Thanks Mike! I haven't done much rowing benchmarking like it seems like you have (I think I saw your profile on your affiliate page once, it looks like they make all people do rowing benchmarks?). But I always see peoples times and think "I can do that"... wrong!

So far my strategy for a 1000m is to row maybe 5-10sec slower of a 500m pace for the first 850m, and go balls to the wall sprinting with 150m left. Not sure if its the best method, but it worked out ok here. Compare this with my 1:47 500m.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:44 AM   #182
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
awesome job! a sub 4:00 1000m is a big goal of mine that i'm not quite close to reaching just yet.
UGH, guys, STOP IT. I don't want to row 1000m. 500m hurts enough. I've been avoiding 1000m.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:49 AM   #183
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
UGH, guys, STOP IT. I don't want to row 1000m. 500m hurts enough. I've been avoiding 1000m.
You just need to get used to it

My workout partner has improved her 500m and 1000m dramatically in the last few weeks because we've been subbing all the running. I was getting her to focus more on really HARD pulls, rather than going back and forth as fast as possible... and she's been doing great.

You just need practice Tamara And damn... you just bought a C2, stop complaining
Old 01-29-2010, 07:53 AM   #184
Mike Kerce

Profile:

see that's crazy because my 500m PR is 1:45.5, but my best 1000m is 4:15...goes to show that i can't maintain a steady pace and hit "the wall." yeah we do alot of 500/1000/2000m rows. 2000m row is what i tell people is (IMO) the toughest 7-9 minutes you'll ever have in a gym. Tamara - you need to hit up a 2000m one of these days! i know you like a challenge, and believe me, it WILL suck, but you'll be a better woman for it you won't possibly suck worse than i do at it.

Bo - i like your strategy. Me i just go as hard as i can because the combo of t-rex arms, midget legs and rotund middle do not combine to equal rowing success in any way shape or form.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:56 AM   #185
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
see that's crazy because my 500m PR is 1:45.5, but my best 1000m is 4:15...goes to show that i can't maintain a steady pace and hit "the wall." yeah we do alot of 500/1000/2000m rows. 2000m row is what i tell people is (IMO) the toughest 7-9 minutes you'll ever have in a gym. Tamara - you need to hit up a 2000m one of these days! i know you like a challenge, and believe me, it WILL suck, but you'll be a better woman for it you won't possibly suck worse than i do at it.

Bo - i like your strategy. Me i just go as hard as i can because the combo of t-rex arms, midget legs and rotund middle do not combine to equal rowing success in any way shape or form.
I have t-rex arms and midget legs too! haha. Sucks huh? I'm 5'9, and in college my 5'2 friend would borrow my car and she wouldn't have to move the seat up any. Crazy.

Oh, and I once subbed a 5k run with a 5k row... now THAT is brutal. For some reason rowing really wrecks my hip flexors.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:27 AM   #186
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence "Bo" Boland III View Post
You just need to get used to it

My workout partner has improved her 500m and 1000m dramatically in the last few weeks because we've been subbing all the running. I was getting her to focus more on really HARD pulls, rather than going back and forth as fast as possible... and she's been doing great.

You just need practice Tamara And damn... you just bought a C2, stop complaining
Me? Complain? NEVER . Well, I'm about to be snowed in, so I think I am going to do a bunch of rowing in the next 3 or 4 days before the Garage Games. Because I sure as heck won't be outside running. Hmmm, what is worse...an all out 400m run or an all out 500m row? So much pain either way. That's why I avoid 800m runs and 1000m rows . I vow to do at least one 1000m row by Monday.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:37 PM   #187
Anthony Mattox

Profile:
I'll do it with the strength Christ has given me. Tony

Thanks for the attaboy on the bench press. I've always been an upper body workout guy and it REALLY shows. CF if going to make the integration I need. Good photo - I actually studied it for the OHS WOD.

Tony M.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:38 PM   #188
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:
Re: I'll do it with the strength Christ has given me. Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Mattox View Post
Thanks for the attaboy on the bench press. I've always been an upper body workout guy and it REALLY shows. CF if going to make the integration I need. Good photo - I actually studied it for the OHS WOD.

Tony M.
Heh, thanks Tony
Old 02-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #189
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Forum dwellers...

Until further notice, I am on the Injured Reserve list. I hurt my hip flexor during my rowing sprints, and I'm going to properly rehab it (keep from using it much, heat + massage + PNF Stretching, and some Active Release from my chiro).

I'll keep you updated. I'm hoping to not be out much more than a week, but we'll see. I'll be hitting the foam roller hard every day
Old 02-09-2010, 11:33 AM   #190
Mike Kerce

Profile:

how's the rehab process going Bo?