CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-05-2010, 07:10 PM   #981
Christy Warren

Profile:
Re: paleo "change your life in 30 days"

I am on day 5 of paleo. My stomach feels like a giant pit of acid and crap. I feel horrible. I have been eating 4-6 oz of meat, lots of salad (with home made dressing), bok choy, broccoli, eggs, spinach, almonds, avocado, and stuff like that. I make an effort to chew my food and eat properly. But my stomach just feels like crap. I actually ate pretty close to paleo before so it isn't a giant shock to my system. Anyone else have this happen? Will it get better? I just really want to add a little potato to settle my stomach. Ug it just feels like YUCK.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:58 AM   #982
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Hall View Post
haha I know what you mean Tamara, ice cream is fine with me, but bring by a glass of wine or a cold beer and I drool. Im not giving myself a number of days to stay off alcohol but I am trying not to have any, at least a month, the longest ive gone is 8 weeks, youv'e got great restraint not drinking for that long. What made you try Paleo?
Desperation, haha. I tore my hamstring August 28 and was wallowing in a pit of self pity. When October 1 hit and I wasn't remotely close to being back to WODs, I was ready to try anything. So, Paleo it was...and I haven't looked back, except for the alcohol, hehe.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:59 AM   #983
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy Warren View Post
I am on day 5 of paleo. My stomach feels like a giant pit of acid and crap. I feel horrible. I have been eating 4-6 oz of meat, lots of salad (with home made dressing), bok choy, broccoli, eggs, spinach, almonds, avocado, and stuff like that. I make an effort to chew my food and eat properly. But my stomach just feels like crap. I actually ate pretty close to paleo before so it isn't a giant shock to my system. Anyone else have this happen? Will it get better? I just really want to add a little potato to settle my stomach. Ug it just feels like YUCK.
I felt like that for about 2 weeks, and I was eating pretty close to Paleo except with a good amount of dairy. I had been doing minimal grains and sugars for months prior to Paleo, so I was surprised at how crappy I felt. Then, it went away and felt great.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #984
Quinn Walkley

Profile:

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #985
Matt Hitt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy Warren View Post
Are you eating any fruit? Big caveat-I'm not a nutritionist, and don't pretend to be one, if you're making the transition from a typical, normal healthy diet to pure paleo, and you throw really low carbs onto that, I bet you'd feel pretty crummy. Anyone with more wisdom please step in
Old 01-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #986
Quinn Walkley

Profile:

How does salt fit into paleo, good, bad?
Old 01-06-2010, 04:39 PM   #987
Luke Hale

Profile:

I did full paleo for about 20 days before Xmas, then it all went wrong. I reckon about 5 days of eating total crap, then a few days of roughly one non paleo meal a day

even after only 20 days, going back to bread and potatoes etc really made a difference - mostly to energy levels and heartburn

back on it now and this is the end of day 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Tarlowski View Post
To those who do most their cooking on sunday and tupperware it for the following week: What's some of your favorite recipes? I need a solid lunch this week.
get a slow cooker and fill it with meat, veg and water for delicious stews!

Or just use it for huge joints of cheap cuts of meat and take a big slice each day.

One I tried the other day that really worked was slow cooked pork cooked with a tin of pineapple chunks (in juice)

Another fave is to cook a huge joint of beef, then cook up a huge batch of ratatouille in the slow cooker, then all week have cold beef with hot ratatouille on top ...paleolicious!
Old 01-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #988
Chad Ryan

Profile:

This is a great thread.

I just started The Zone this week but the more I read I think I may gradually shift to Paleo. There is a ton of info out there and I have been reading Robb Wolf's site a lot - I want to make sure that I do it right once I start it. Going to try The Zone for two weeks going as paleo as possible and then may make the change.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:23 PM   #989
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

What about a "beyond the 30 days" thread? Something to help us stick w/it after the initial challenge. I'm also curious to see how others did.

I successfully completed my challenge from mid aug to mid sep. My first non-paleo item was a hershey's bar @ the airport on the way to Vegas. I immediately got a headache.

Then when we got to Vegas, I had a hamburger. After one bite, I decided I didn't like the bun and threw it out. So I figured sticking to Paleo would be easy seeing as I kinda lost my desire to eat non-paleo foods.

Well it turns out I was wrong. For the next 4-6 weeks following vegas, I maintained Paleo during the week but went completely ape-shxt on the weekends. Not just non-paleo but lots of fast food. Among other reacquisitions of bad things, I've gained back all the fat that I had lost.

I figured another 30 day commitment would be in order so I day 1 was Monday (jan 4th) but I think a separate thread regarding the adherence to paleo AFTER the challenge would be helpful...

Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Ryan View Post
This is a great thread.

I just started The Zone this week but the more I read I think I may gradually shift to Paleo. There is a ton of info out there and I have been reading Robb Wolf's site a lot - I want to make sure that I do it right once I start it. Going to try The Zone for two weeks going as paleo as possible and then may make the change.
I think zone is a nice transitional thing for many people. If you stick to the favorable carbs, it's not too far off from Paleo.

Last edited by Yahya Kohgadai : 01-07-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #990
Diane Mahoney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahya Kohgadai View Post
I figured another 30 day commitment would be in order so I day 1 was Monday (jan 4th) but I think a separate thread regarding the adherence to paleo AFTER the challenge would be helpful...
I think that's a great idea! I would like to make this more for life than for the next 30 days. I did a challenge in October, and it went pretty well. I'm doing one with my gym now, but I started a few days early (on the first) and I plan on going longer.

I did all sorts of damage over the holidays!