CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-05-2010, 01:48 AM   #971
Jordan Wallace

Profile:
Re: paleo "change your life in 30 days"

i Started yesterday, is there a replacement for splenda?

Honey maybe?

thanks, jordan
Old 01-05-2010, 05:47 AM   #972
Marta Joy

Profile:

Ugh! Back on the bandwagon for me too! Feeling like crap again after the cheese cakes, the sweet potatoes and junk! Yuck! I think I am quickly learning to hate the holiday season! Not good! So here is day one again for me. Also gonna quit drinkin'! Heeeeere we gooooo!
Old 01-05-2010, 05:54 AM   #973
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Hall View Post
Well Im on day three now. Its great that my body has quicky returned to the swing of things, not getting headaches this time or cravings as bad. I forgot how little sleep your body wants. Went to bed at 10:30pm and woke up at 4:30am. Layed in bed til 5:20 then up and off to do my first CF session in two weeks. I defianlty noticed a big difference, got some work to do.
How is everyone else going?
How is the no drinking Tamara?
Eh, I'm surviving. It's only been 5 days since I drank those two bottles of champagne! My husband drank red wine and ate ice cream in front of me last night, haha. I know I've been Paleo for a while because the ice cream didn't look remotely appealing...but I eyed that glass of wine carefully. It's funny to think that I had an entire conversation with my coach in September about how I would never go Paleo, and by October, I was freaking Paleo.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:51 AM   #974
Matt Hitt

Profile:

Day 4 for me. So far, so good. I love the way I feel when I eat clean-energetic, happy, and just good. No getting light-headed when I stand up, indigestion, and other crap.

I did read a cookbook last night...looking for something to make. Went through 100 pages. Found 1 paleo recipe. Amazing how EVERYTHING has sugar/dairy/flour in it. Often a combination of the three.

OTOH, made a paleo Goan chicken curry last night. AMAZING. Dried thai chiles to make it wicked hot, a full can of coconut to thicken, and fresh toasted and ground spices. Indian food is the yum. Curry will make this month not feel like a challenge.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:52 AM   #975
Matt Hitt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
It's funny to think that I had an entire conversation with my coach in September about how I would never go Paleo, and by October, I was freaking Paleo.
I hear you on that! For the first two months I did CrossFit, I had long conversations about "this weird diet where you can't even eat bread, and they say even whole grain is unhealthy. How dumb is that, right?" If only I knew...
Old 01-05-2010, 08:23 AM   #976
Monnie Smith

Profile:

Matt....that curry sounded great...can you post recipe?
Old 01-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #977
Christy Labrie

Profile:

Day 3 for me.
2nd round

I havent had any of the strong cravings yet, maybe I wont since I have done it once in Sept and pretty much stayed paleo after the 30 days. But, with the holidays came the carbs...
So, here I am again and already feeling healthier. It is amazing how unprocessed food make you feel. Maybe it is in my head? But who care

I have a vegetable stew/soup thing in the crockpot just waiting on me to get home from work!
Old 01-05-2010, 11:54 AM   #978
Diane Mahoney

Profile:

I'm on Day 4 (second round) and no alcohol for 100 days. Only 96 more to go. So far, I'm not having any cravings, but I know they'll come.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:45 PM   #979
Matt Hitt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monnie Smith View Post
Matt....that curry sounded great...can you post recipe?
Sure! It was:

1 inch cinnamon stick
5 dried thai chiles (I like things pretty hot, adjust down if you don't)
1 tsp. mustard seeds
3 cloves
2 tsp. cumin seeds
1 tbls. coriander seeds/ground coriander
1/4 tsp. black peppercorns

3 tablespoons neutral oil (canola, safflower, whatever)
1 red onion
1 tbls. chopped ginger
1 tbls. chopped garlic
2 pounds chicken meat, cut into chunks
1 14 oz. can coconut milk
Salt to taste (if you do that)

Instructions:

In a dry skillet, toast the spices and chiles until fragrant. Don't burn them. Allow to cool, then grind to powder, and set aside

Heat the oil in a large, heavy pan. Fry onion in oil until golden brown. Do not blacken the onions. When onions are brown, add the ginger and garlic, fry for 1 minute. Then add the spice mixture, plus salt if used. Fry for 2 more minutes

Then, add the chicken, saute until golden brown. Finally, add the coconut milk, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Allow to simmer until meat is fully cooked and sauce thickens to your liking. About 15 minutes for me.

I served it over grated and sauteed cauliflower with a little curry powder.

Also, if buying and grinding whole spices is too much for you, just use about 1/4 cup of your favorite curry powder. Though I do really recommend whole spices if you have a choice. Good luck!
Old 01-05-2010, 07:05 PM   #980
Jessica Hall

Profile:

Jordan, Honey is fine to have.

haha I know what you mean Tamara, ice cream is fine with me, but bring by a glass of wine or a cold beer and I drool. Im not giving myself a number of days to stay off alcohol but I am trying not to have any, at least a month, the longest ive gone is 8 weeks, youv'e got great restraint not drinking for that long. What made you try Paleo?

Good to see familure faces back, good luck to everyone.

That curry recipe sounds awsome Matt thanks. Im trying to convience my brother in law to go paleo too, hes Indian and he makes the best currys ever.