CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-12-2010, 12:54 AM   #1031
Luke Hale

Profile:
Re: paleo "change your life in 30 days"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahya Kohgadai View Post
Would paleo be good for a super skinny ectomorph woman who wants to gain some size? Well, I don't know if you'd call her an ectomorph because she's got a tiny little fat reserve in her stomach but she's very emaciated looking. Should I just tell her to EAT as much good, clean, unprocessed food as she can?
It would seem paleo is good for everyone! As long as she eats plenty of protein, plenty of good fats and lots of veg.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:46 AM   #1032
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Would paleo be good for a super skinny ectomorph woman who wants to gain some size? Well, I don't know if you'd call her an ectomorph because she's got a tiny little fat reserve in her stomach but she's very emaciated looking. Should I just tell her to EAT as much good, clean, unprocessed food as she can?
It is hard for a lot of people to gain on Paleo. She'll need to watch her fat intake. Some people do Paleo plus milk for that reason. It's really easy for people to be eating low calorie on Paleo without realizing it. When I put my food into FitDay yesterday, I was just over 2000 calories...and I'm sure that was 200 calories more than usual because I had added the coconut milk and had a huge amount of ground meat. I can't eat 1800-2000 calories and keep my weight stable...I'll keep losing like I have been. I probably need to be closer to 2400 calories.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:59 AM   #1033
Calogero Vassallo

Profile:

okay looks like i messed up a little yesterday.

the beans were green stem beans.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:33 AM   #1034
Calogero Vassallo

Profile:

Started off good today though.

3 eggs, onion, 1 small-med apple

Feel really good this morning.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:36 PM   #1035
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
I can't eat 1800-2000 calories and keep my weight stable...I'll keep losing like I have been. I probably need to be closer to 2400 calories.
Wow, you must be really active... do you have a physically demanding job in addition to your crossfit?
Old 01-13-2010, 06:07 AM   #1036
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Wow, you must be really active... do you have a physically demanding job in addition to your crossfit?
Nah, I think that this probably holds true for a lot of women who CrossFit. I mean, I'm 5'8 and 135 lbs. I'm pretty lean at this point. I'm obviously burning through calories like crazy if I'm eating 2000-2100 calories a day and still dropping weight like I am. Last week, I did 3 WODs with strength or skill work before each WOD, one pure strength day, one 3+ mile run, one day of 4x400m sprints, plus two 500m rows, and an absolute crapload of double unders. I think exercise just kicks my metabolism into insane high gear because I am 34, and I've lost 40 lbs without restricting calories.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #1037
Matt Hitt

Profile:

So, it's day 12 of the paleo challenge. Going pretty well. I feel so much better than I did over my "off the wagon" holiday season.

Posting due to a revelation I had today:

When you cook a big piece of meat with a lot of connective tissue (say, a chuck shoulder, aka pot roast) to the point where it's starting to fall apart, and then you refrigerate it for 24 hours, and reheat...the connective tissue (collagen) reconstitutes as a uniform gelatin in the meat, making for a texture and unctuousness that is one of the best things I've eaten in a LONG time.

My pot roast was ok the first day, and simply sublime the second. Moral of the story=big, inexpensive cuts of meat can be better than prime steak, as long as you have the patience. Oh, and as long as you make gravy. Mmmm...gravy
Old 01-13-2010, 01:20 PM   #1038
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Nah, I think that this probably holds true for a lot of women who CrossFit. I mean, I'm 5'8 and 135 lbs. I'm pretty lean at this point. I'm obviously burning through calories like crazy if I'm eating 2000-2100 calories a day and still dropping weight like I am. Last week, I did 3 WODs with strength or skill work before each WOD, one pure strength day, one 3+ mile run, one day of 4x400m sprints, plus two 500m rows, and an absolute crapload of double unders. I think exercise just kicks my metabolism into insane high gear because I am 34, and I've lost 40 lbs without restricting calories.
Yes, I can eat 2000 kcal per day, and weigh about 30 pounds less than you. back when I was running a lot on top of work outs, I would eat more than that.

I think it's just that so many women try to starve themselves on ridiculous amounts of calories, that 2000+ sounds like a huge amount. When really it isn't that much at all. Not a bother to me anyway, but then, I love eatin' stuff
Old 01-13-2010, 01:47 PM   #1039
Marcellus Archer

Profile:

I started the paleo 11 days ago and have lost 10lbs, I also must add that I started crossfit and have been to 6 sessions now with cardio days sessions on the days I have not been to crossfit

I weighed 275lb and am now 265lbs, so I have assured myself that being overweight and having my diet and exercise change would see some initial drastic results is that the case.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:36 PM   #1040
Alexander Schmellerhine

Profile:

Wow, I'm amazed this post is still going strong. It was around during my first foray into Paleo World this summer. I was good for a few weeks and kinda have been doing half-hearted since.

But my local affiliate here in Tallahassee started their "Lean Into Spring" seven week challenge on Sunday last. Wow, before pictures really are quite a motivator! I'm committed to strict Paleo, CF, and taekwondo. I must admit, over the past three days though, I've suffered quite a performance dip physically and mentally. My last CF workout, I was totally gassed and with TKD I'm covering up more than kicking. But more importantly, I'm a lawyer who uses his brain for a living (in contrast to the other type of lawyer). My head has been so darned foggy, I just pray no on calls me up for some really sharp advice. Anyone got any suggestions? I've been eating fruit (apples, bananas, melon) when I start feeling foggy, but it gives me only a short term (30 minutes?) fix. As I'm trying to lean out, I don't want to just be eating fruit all day. Any advice from my fellow Paleo folks?

Thanks for encouragement, advice, etc--I really could use some!