CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-22-2009, 07:49 PM   #11
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Dips: feeling pressure on my sternum

Lack of flexibility isn't the only reason it happens. Sometimes having the breastbone/sternum just stretched or slightly torn does it.

On a side note, I didn't feel this at all today on rings and that makes me happy. Being warmed up helps a lot than doing some stuff cold.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:10 PM   #12
Jordan K Smith

Profile:

im so glad i found this thread! i got some rings for Christmas. i had never been on rings before, but ive done loads of bar dips and pullups so i figured id be good to go. i did a few sets of dips Christmas day with no after effects. today i did a wod which involved 35 - 40 (i lost count of rounds) ring dips in 12 minutes. i felt fine during the workout. a few minutes later, my chest was super tight around my sternum and i thought i might be going into cardiac arrest! scared the crap out of me! then i found this thread, thank God. now its an hour and a half later and am still really sore around my sternum. my point: ease into the rings! my question: how long can i expect this pain?
Old 01-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #13
Bob D Pratt

Profile:

The chest muscle (Pec Major) attaches along the sternum. It's easy to get ta little inflammation going if you're not used to hitting the muscle from this angle. Popping or snapping can be cartilage around the ribs or (not very often) the ribs themselves.
If it hurts; back off & ice it.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #14
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

After your warm-up, spend some time stretching your pecs. Doing joint mobility is also helpful. The closer I hold the rings to my body, the less pec work I have to do. Warming up with an assistance band can also be helpful. The advice on keeping the volume low is very sound. Stretch post-WOD.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #15
Jordan K Smith

Profile:

thanks for the replies. it's feeling a good bit better today, though there is still some stiffness. as crazy as it sounds, i can't wait to get on them again. they are a lot of fun. so what would be better for me to adjust so that i can frequently use them in high volume without having this happen: reserve one day a week for a substantial amount of ring work, or just do a minimal amount of ring work multiple times per week (such as during warm up)?
Old 01-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #16
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

I'd do small amounts a few times a week. One day of high volume might just make you sore again. Yeah, the rings are addicting. Should come with a warning label. When I was "off them" for shoulder soreness, it was always tempting to sneak down to my basement and get on my rogues. I don't have the same soreness you do, but, I'm back on them frequently, but, low volume.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:27 PM   #17
Evelyn Scarborough

Profile:

I had it bad when I first started working dips, on bars and on rings. I would back off when it flared up (nasty feeling when it seems your ribs are going to pop right off your sternum), then when it calmed down I would try again. Eventually I didn't get that pain anymore, just muscle soreness. Connective tissue takes awhile to strengthen in relation to new loads placed upon it. Be patient, use scaling/mods just enough to avoid that nasty pressure.