CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-17-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
Shane Yost

Profile:
OK guys need your advice on running

First off let me state that although I went to school for exercise and nutrition and hold 3 certificates for personal training, I have a very very hard time taking my own advice.
My story is this, I've been training up for Special Forces Selection for the past 2 months and I leave early next month to attend. I'm trying to greatly improve my endurance and speed to do as well as I can on the timed test.
Last week I ran myself into the ground and my PT score dropped significantly, I know that when I took the test I was already over trained but that's how they wanted to grade me, beat up.

Today my run time was 15:15 for a 2 mile, the second worse run time in my life next to last weeks 17 min 2 mile. I've run allot this week for but I don't feel as though I'm improving. My calves and shins have finally stopped hurting for the most part but I still fatigue really quick, been trying to use that pose technique but I doubt I'm doing it right.

Tomorrow I have a plan to run 10-12 miles over a mountain to the other side but I don't know if it's a good idea. On the other hand this is the last chance I'm going to have to run this mountain before I leave to Selection and I really want to push myself and try to overcome this barrier that's been dropped on my feet.

Monday I have a choice to either ruck march or doing sprint/jog laps + pull ups and dips.
Tuesday will be running + swimming + running + pull ups and dips.
Wednesday I'll head to the field for weapons training.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
Thomas Bailly

Profile:
Re: OK guys need your advice on running

You need to get a certificate and rest and recuperation because all of your education means NOTHING without this.

Here is another way to look at it: there is no such thing as overtraining,only under recovery.
You are under recovered. You need to rest. If you go on your hill run,not only will you have a sh*tty time you will also probably get sick the next day, so you'll be the weakest guy at your selection.
Declining times first, then weak immunity, lower sex drive, decreased appetite= time to chill out and chow down.

"this barrier that has been dropped at your feet" is non existent if you are well rested.

Complete rest this weekend, then nuke the training next week.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Take some time off, then run a 400m for time, then two days later an 800m for time (just to get quality, extremely intense speed work without as much volume as you would get in intervals). Then maybe some 6x400m intervals with a minute rest or 3x800m with a minute rest. Take at least 3-4 days off before going. That's it. No high volume. You'll thank me later, like when you start the Q. Let me know when you get here and I'll try to make things easier for you at Bragg - I live in the crappy building where you'll stay before going out to SFAS and I'll be around early next month. As for SFAS, just don't get injured. I can't reiterate that enough. Any small injury that you carry in will get magnified.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:06 AM   #4
Shane Yost

Profile:

Well I'll arrive on the 7th but I didn't plan on signing in right away. I hear it's just allot of stupidity and down time if you sign in early. Report date is on the 9th.
Are you a Soldier Andrew?
Old 07-18-2009, 12:10 PM   #5
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Yost View Post
Are you a Soldier Andrew?
Well, yeah. How many civilians do you think live in barracks?
Old 07-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
Kara Govro

Profile:

No 10-mile run! Are you crazy? :P You are clearly BEAT and need to recover. Sit your butt on the couch, get a few ice packs, eat a steak and drink a beer!
Old 07-18-2009, 01:46 PM   #7
Ed Haywood

Profile:

You're not going to get in better shape between now and the 9th. However, you could get in worse shape if you continue to overtrain and under-recover.

If I were you, I'd take 2 or 3 days completely off, then start tapering down the volume on your training program. The last 3 or 4 days before you report should be rest days, maybe with some light jogging and gymnastics to stay loose.

Good luck, take care of your feet, and remember to stop and think. SF wants guys who can think on their feet and make sensible decisions under pressure, not guys with great fitness and no brains.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:07 PM   #8
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Haywood View Post
SF wants guys who can think on their feet and make sensible decisions under pressure, not guys with great fitness and no brains.
I've found that to be mostly true. But yeah, plenty of studs wash out and plenty of physical weenies make it through on guts, smarts, and a little sangfroid. Just make sure that you're not overtrained and keep your head screwed on right and you'll have a good shot at it.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:01 AM   #9
Shane Yost

Profile:

I took it easy yesterday, did some light upper body in the gym followed by an hour or so of racketball. Wednesday I'm headed out to the field, being mech that means I will have lots of relaxation time. So Mon-Wednes I'll work on some light exercises than I'll take a few days off.