CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-10-2009, 05:45 AM   #1
Tamara Cohen

Profile:
Baby steps, excited but need running advice

I've seen a few new threads about running lately, so I thought I'd get some opinions on my situation. If you had asked me what my strength was going to be when I first started working out again in April, I definitely would have said running. I was a soccer player and running was my thing. In contrast, I had never picked up a barbell before!

So, I am very excited with the gains I have seen. For example, my core strength is such a drastic improvement that I am still shocked. I couldn't do 10 situps in April, and I couldn't side plank at all. Now, I can do side plank rolls without a problem. It feels great.

Our WOD at the affiliate this morning was 4 rounds for time: 400m run, 12 pullups and 20 box jumps. Thank God, I just watched the "Brandon's Bad Day" video yesterday because that is what got me through, haha. No way I was going to quit. But, the runs are killing me. I still feel like a smoker gasping for breath the entire time.

I know that if I keep doing CF, my runnimg/endurance will get better over time. I have no problem with that...I'm in this for the long haul. At the same time, when I suck so badly at running, it is hard to focus on the rest of the workout. So, I am trying to figure out what I should be doing on my own. My goal is to get to the affiliate 3x per week and then workout on my own 2x per week. This is mainly dictated by child care issues. I can't get to the affiliate on the other two mornings due to my husband's work schedule. So, I squeeze in the other 2 workouts on whatever days/times I have. And, I have access to our regular YMCA gym at those times.

I still need a lot of work on the basics - pushups, pullups, squats, box jumps, etc. Is it better for me to focus on that stuff and then throw in a short run on one or both of my solo workout days? Or should I just scale WODs and let the running/endurance come with time? I know it will improve. I just don't know if it pays to focus on running given that I suck so badly at it!

Thanks for any and all opinions. I am loving CF. 16 lbs lost since April 1, whoohoo!

Tamara
Old 06-10-2009, 06:57 AM   #2
Brian Bedell

Profile:
Re: Baby steps, excited but need running advice

IMO, if your not happy with your running b/c you are "gasping for air," then I think just sticking to the CF programming you are in now will remedy that. If you don't like the running b/c you are just slow, like me, then you might want to search here for some extra interval work you can do. But that does not seem to be your problem.

Also, you've only been doing CF for 2 months. Stick with it. Adding more on top of the wod at this point is probably a bad idea. Work on your nutrition instead, if necessary.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:58 AM   #3
Shane Skowron

Profile:

The best thing to do to get better at running without changing up the workouts is this: every time you encounter a run in the middle of a workout, give it 100% effort. Don't pace yourself. You'll be very tired when it comes to the next activity, whether it be box jumps, pullups, etc, but that's okay. Getting better at running for the beginner involves two things: getting better at longer activities (general cardiovascular endurance, which will come with time) and improving at the specific activity of running. The former will come simply by doing WODs, the latter will come by really pushing hard whenever you see a run in a WOD.

There's always a temptation to sandbag a run and jog it just because the previous movement had you fatigued. Don't. Sprint every run that comes up. Recover later.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
Mat Frankel

Profile:

I agree with Shane.
To get better at running you have to run. It doesn't mean you have to do extra, it just means giving everything in the runs that come up. By doing so you will begin to see results faster then if you take it easy and just get the runs done. Give it some time and you will see some great results. Good luck!
Old 06-10-2009, 10:12 AM   #5
Thomas Baker

Profile:

To quote my coach..who probably quoted Brian Mckenzie..

Learn to run effectively
Then run faster
Then run longer

Check out POSE and CFE for running technique
Old 06-10-2009, 11:16 AM   #6
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Thanks, Brian. I'm definitely not looking to add more work on top of the WOD. I guess for those two solo days, I was just trying to decide between run or WOD. But, I definitely need to work on nutrition also, especially in terms of upping my protein amounts.

Tamara
Old 06-10-2009, 11:20 AM   #7
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Thanks, Shane and Mat! That makes total sense. Now that I know what to expect (that I suck at running right now), I will be better prepared for next time. If I mentally ready to push it as hard as possible during the runs, then being winded for the next activity won't bother me as much. Today, I was spending too much time dreading the next run, and I was very much focused on finishing at all costs, even if I had to crawl. And, I guess the faster I run, the faster the run is over!

Tamara
Old 06-10-2009, 11:22 AM   #8
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Thanks, Thomas! And, running effectively is a big thing for me. When you run in soccer, form does not matter. I have to pay attention to my knees because I have issues. Being at the affiliate really helps because all three coaches are there watching me run and can tell me what I'm doing incorrectly.

Tamara
Old 06-15-2009, 06:09 PM   #9
Tina Dobson

Profile:

As someone who was a runner before CF, but after I learned to weight train, most people suck at running initially. The running say is very true: the longer you are a runner the more you realize you know nothing about running. LOL I was running for well over a year before I discovered things I was doing wrong. Sucking air is nearly always caused by a combination of running too fast and not focusing on your breathing. I think if you stick with CF plus tweak your running, you will be a powerhouse. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me!
Old 06-15-2009, 08:21 PM   #10
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
When you run in soccer, form does not matter. I have to pay attention to my knees because I have issues.
That attitude is probably the reason why your knees have issues.