CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
Mike Kerce

Profile:
Intermittent Fasting...

who does it? what's your method? i've just started paleo and want to give myself some time to adjust before i start something like IF but i ran across the concept on robb wolf's blog and wanted some input for future reference on how everyone does it and how it works for them/how they feel, etc. thanks!
Old 03-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
Daniel Olmstead

Profile:
Re: Intermittent Fasting...

I do it. Typically four times a week, 16-18 hours per fast. It worked extremely well for me (WFS) with losing weight, I'm just now trying it for muscle gain.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
Mike Kerce

Profile:

that is a great resource, thanks! do you have any ideas or thoughts on a heavy person trying IF? I would assume that it should work fine, just don't know enough about it to say for sure. i'm thinking i'll give myself a month or so to adapt to paleo (though that's happening pretty quickly) and then give IF a whirl.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:47 PM   #4
Mark Martinez

Profile:

Googled IF. I didn't realize there was a name for it. It's only about 12 hour fasting for me though. I have however only been eating one solid meal per day for years now. Admittedly, I'll splurge every now and then. I never really eat breakfast or lunch and I hardly snack. I do drink water and chew gum all day. I seem to be doing fine. I workout twice a day three times per week and once a day three times per week. I'll end up with a voracious appetite at night and I will eat anything in front of me. I seem to be keeping the fat off a little better than most people around me of the same age. I'm not an elite, but I'm usually the fittest when in a group of regular people (not CF'rs). My all-around performance seems to be better than the average male of the same age.

Example of a typical two work-out day during the weekdays (weekend schedule varies with mental status):
0520: shower
0615: coffee 2-4 cups in the morning at
0630-0735 : morning work-out (met con, endurance, or strength)
water for hydration during the day
0800: shower
1500-1745: afternoon workout lenght of work-out varies. I usually do the rx'd mainsite WOD plus random strength and endurance if I'm still up to it.
1800-1830: Dinner. Last night's menu was three porkchops, six to seven pieces of thick-cut bacon, 2 cups of white/brown rice mixed, 1 cup mixed vegetables, 3 large handfuls of M&M's (regular). I was controlling myself; I could've eaten more.
I average about two-three beers a night, as well.
1900: shower
2200-2300: sleep til 0520-0545 (snooze)

I'm not strict about the fasting. If I see something I'll eat it. It's just generally the case that I don't eat during the day. It's a habit I developed when I used to smoke and I was too lazy to go get something to eat. I hate leaving work for lunch because I never want to go back. So, now I skip lunch so I can get out early and go to the gym and make it home early.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:49 PM   #5
Scott Dyck

Profile:

I do it very similar to Daniel. I usually do M-T-Th-F, fasting from 8pm to 2pm the next day. It fits perfectly into my daily work schedule.
I don't really do anything else in diet planning anymore. I don't weigh, I don't measure, I don't count. I eat food as close to its natural state as possible and I eat until I'm full, between 2 and 8, which is a lot of freakin food in a short period of time when you're not eating processed stuff.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
Andrew Ager

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Dyck View Post
I do it very similar to Daniel. I usually do M-T-Th-F, fasting from 8pm to 2pm the next day. It fits perfectly into my daily work schedule.
I don't really do anything else in diet planning anymore. I don't weigh, I don't measure, I don't count. I eat food as close to its natural state as possible and I eat until I'm full, between 2 and 8, which is a lot of freakin food in a short period of time when you're not eating processed stuff.
I've been following this plan, roughly, since November 2008, with pretty good success (minus 20 pounds; constantly increasing lifting numbers). I basically skip breakfast during the work week, and start eating around 2 or so, and stop after dinner ... which can happen at a variety of times with 2 small children. I try to be mostly done eating by 9PM or so.

My food choices tend to be about 80% Paleo/Primal/whatever you want to call it, with the other 20% being mostly dairy and, um, beer (good beer).

As far as workout compatibility, I've been working the Gant Grimes Hybrid program since january, and until this week have been doing extremely well (sleep issues with the littlest one seems to throw a wrench into progress, but oh well). The IF has been generally fantastic, though: frees up my mornings to a degreee I couldn't imagine before, and I feel great.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:14 PM   #7
Daniel Olmstead

Profile:

There's no reason a heavy person should be any different IF'ing than anyone else. If your primary goal is weight loss, then I've never seen better fat loss than by combining IF with HIIT workouts in the morning. Read this. (WFS)

It's not easy, but damn it works.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:26 PM   #8
Steven Matheson

Profile:

Good article about IF:

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/in...nt_fasting.htm (WFS)
Old 03-18-2009, 01:29 PM   #9
Mike Kerce

Profile:

thanks again, Daniel, and thanks to all - i appreciate you all being so helpful. i'm probably about 100 lbs. overweight but, believe it or not in fairly decent (of course for fat guy standards) "athletic" shape so i really need all the dieting advantages i can get. i like the idea and it sounds like it works for those who try it so i look forward to trying it out soon.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:59 PM   #10
Max Lambert

Profile:

A fast for me becomes wayyyy easier when I workout a little over halfway through it because I don't get hungry for several hours after I work out. That is, unless its a heavy DL/C&J day and then I starve for the rest of the fast. Performance is usually a lot better on fasting days too. I will either do a couple fasts a week that are about 24 hours (either lunch to lunch or dinner to dinner) or will do like what others have said and have about 4 18 hours fasts a week. Student schedules kind of make the "intermittent" part pretty doable because schedule change all the time

Eat Clean too, no point on fasting if you fill up on bad stuff, but I think since your goal is weight loss, like mine was, you got that