CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-11-2009, 07:38 PM   #1
Jim Brikman

Profile:
Recovering right after a workout

Whenever I get done with a metcon workout, I tend to collapse on the floor and remain there, panting, for a good long while. Once my breathing calms down, I typically end up in a weird zoned out state, just staring up at the ceiling. I've never puked - in general, I have an iron stomach and pretty much never puke, from anything - but on more than a few occasions I've definitely felt nauseous/dizzy/shaky. Eventually, after about 10-15 minutes, I peel myself off the floor and admire the sweat angel I've left behind. The especially amusing times are when I do a shorter workout like Fran in ~5 minutes and end up on the floor for twice as long.

I'm guessing this kind of reaction is typical given the intensity of CF workouts, but I was curious how other people recover right after a workout?
Old 03-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #2
Michael Wengloski

Profile:
Re: Recovering right after a workout

I try not to collapse. I never really got why people did that. Sure you're tired as hell, but i'd much rather walk it off. More testing mental toughness than anything I guess... I started to get in the habit of doing the fall over thing. Then I remember reading someone saying they never let their LEO and MIL clients sit down when they finish. Made sense to me.

Last edited by Michael Wengloski : 03-11-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:52 PM   #3
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

I lay there sometimes, why not, i've earned it. Doesn't require any great mental toughness to stand up vs whatever has gone before I think.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

I used to prefer the walking around afterwards. Now, I find myself collapsing....but I try not to lay there for too long. I like to get up and write in my log, drink water, put my equipment away while I'm still a little winded.

The LEO/MIL part would make sense though. Need to train to keep going, even after the hot pursuit is over.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:05 PM   #5
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

I do a mixture of lying in a pool of my own sweat and walking around to put equipment away. There have been a few workouts where I had no choice but to lie there for a few minutes, willing my heart not to pound out of my chest, but sometimes I have enough for the "bonus dead lift" to rack the weight and strip it off without collapsing first.

Your heart rate drops faster while sitting rather than standing, and while lying down rather than sitting. It is more a factor of this for me.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:05 PM   #6
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

I rarely if ever lay down/collapse. I'd much rather walk it off as well, maybe take a few swigs of water. Part of the reason is I don't want to lay there and cramp up. Do you ever see Olympic athletes collapse after an event?
Old 03-12-2009, 04:45 AM   #7
Sam Ser

Profile:

supposedly, lying down brings your heart rate down faster. with no weight to support and no walking around, there's less work for your heart to do.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:47 AM   #8
Sam Ser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Carpenter View Post
I rarely if ever lay down/collapse. I'd much rather walk it off as well, maybe take a few swigs of water. Part of the reason is I don't want to lay there and cramp up. Do you ever see Olympic athletes collapse after an event?
strength atlhletes? no. endurance athletes? sure.

the issue of cramping is valid. but resting for 2-3 minutes shouldn't be a problem. after that you can get up, walk around, have some water and stretch out, and be fine.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:40 AM   #9
George Nesrallah

Profile:

I never lay down or sit down after a workout. I walk around slowly doing some calming breathing techniques to get my heart rate back to normal. Works for me anyway.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:42 AM   #10
Scott Spencer

Profile:

you are taking a long time to recover. How about having some carbs preworkout? i take a creatine product with carbs and BCAA in it. It helps you do better in the workout but also recover better both short term and long term. Think of it as gatorade with creatine in it. Feeling sick and not thinking straight is a sign your blood sugar dropped. to prevent it have some carbs pre workout and during if possible.