CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 11-28-2008, 01:42 PM   #11
Ganine Vanalst

Profile:

Re: Help! Asap!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
Seriously? You are asking a forum board instead of calling an ER. Seriously?

Moderators....this kind of stuff needs to go. I know its Black Friday and everyone is shopping, and call me cruel, but this person (yes that is you Sharon) need to go to a workshop on common sense instead of shopping.

Go to an ER.

After that you need to work on a program to prioritize things in your life, and learn to manage calendars and deadlines. If something is that important to your life, I don't see how you would miss a thing like that.

The title of this thread pulled me in...seemed like someone was in real trouble. Reading the post I was a bit incredulous and I gotta say I had a similiar reaction to George (although I thought the shopping reference was gratuitous). I sincerely hope the OP is ok, but something like that you go to the ER, not take time to type a post and then wait for replies unless you want the replies to be RIP.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:52 PM   #12
Frank E Morel

Profile:

A trip to the ER isnt necessary. ... its a waste of the persons time as they will sit and sit in the waiting room. A simple phone call to the attending Doctor would have resulted in the same thing.. a prescription refill.
that er visit... for a 12 dollar prescription would have cost 300 dollars plus.
Failing that attending doctor that does not call the prescription into the pharmacy then the next appropriate thing to do IS GO TO AN URGENT CARE CLINIC. NOW 12 dollar script is only going to cost 75 bucks.

Now you know why its so f'g expensive to go to the ER and just end up waiting and waiting. 2/3 of er presentations are stuff that could have and should have been handled at the doctor's office or a urgent care clinic.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:25 PM   #13
Ganine Vanalst

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
A trip to the ER isnt necessary. ... its a waste of the persons time as they will sit and sit in the waiting room. A simple phone call to the attending Doctor would have resulted in the same thing.. a prescription refill.
that er visit... for a 12 dollar prescription would have cost 300 dollars plus.
Failing that attending doctor that does not call the prescription into the pharmacy then the next appropriate thing to do IS GO TO AN URGENT CARE CLINIC. NOW 12 dollar script is only going to cost 75 bucks.

Now you know why its so f'g expensive to go to the ER and just end up waiting and waiting. 2/3 of er presentations are stuff that could have and should have been handled at the doctor's office or a urgent care clinic.
Good points - I grew up in NYC where going to the ER you have a better chance of the Second Coming happening first before being seen by a doctor, and getting the bill can send you back to the ER with a stroke. However, I think being puffy all over and not being able to take a deep breath might warrant a trip to the ER, but then again, I don't have high blood pressure so I don't know how normal that is if you are out of meds.

I think the overriding thing is you don't look to a message board for advice for something like this and wait for a reply before taking action. You also should not be contemplating doing the WOD under these circumstances.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:16 PM   #14
Sharon Goff

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: Help! Asap!!

Thanks again everyone. Next time I need to decide if I should or should not work out, I'll just flip a coin. And, sorry about the pinkness. It makes me happy....I'll try to find something else to make me happy.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:34 PM   #15
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Goff View Post
Thanks again everyone. Next time I need to decide if I should or should not work out, I'll just flip a coin. And, sorry about the pinkness. It makes me happy....I'll try to find something else to make me happy.
Sooo the whole point of this was to know whether or not working out would reduce your fluid retention that results from high blood pressure????

Answer you wanted to hear is : NO don't.
I am going to explain this in a simple dumb format so its understood.

Your heart pumps blood to your kidneys, which in turns removes excess water from your blood and turns it urine.

When you have heart disease ( yes high bp is heart disease) your heart is now pumping faster and harder to move that blood and fluid thru the body to get it to your kidneys so it can be removed. But depending on medication, your circulatory system is influenced by how tight it is. The tighter the veins and arteries are.. the smaller amount of blood is allowed to pass but it requires the heart to pump harder and faster to get it all thru the system. AKA HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE. Now the heart has to work even harder to push that volume of fluid thru those smaller vessels... which in turn causes further rise in blood pressure. So now the body has to figure where its to going to put this extra fluid so blood pressure can go back to normal and reduce work load of the heart... so finds places of low pressure... that is general tissue.. your puff ankles.

Now you go work out... causing the body to demand more blood, oxygen to a stressed system, the heart has to pump that much more harder and faster that it causes the body to start putting excessive fluid in different places to try to normalize or at least make it easier on the heart. So where does it goe?????? Your lungs. Now you have water in the lungs... and you have a whole different set of problems. But your high bp is still a problem cause it was work triple duty to 1- fuel the oxygen demand of the body, 2-push that blood to the kidneys to get clean. 3 it has to push that water in the lungs hard enough so they clear up. AT that point... your brain is at risk.

So working out????? is not going to do a lick of good... you just cant sweat out that much fluid. Neither is drinking tea or coffee for its diuretic abilities.. they are stimulants which result in the same problem... excess workload on the heart.

You need to sit down and have a little learning lesson about your medical problems from your doctor, about managing it, and you should have a discussion about how to get refills when you need them. AGain... reexamine your health insurance... cause your being ripped off royally.

So there... I am going to say that this not a a proper patho- physiology lesson but it should get the point across.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:50 PM   #16
Jill Zimmerman

Profile:

Good advice as usual Frank although a little bit (uncharacteristically) snarky. What I was thinking but not understanding exactly what was going on with congestive heart failure? Someone told me about the fluid in the lungs when my great aunt died. I guess that's what was happening.

I do know from my Dad that you don't mess with your medication - you take it. He drank caffeinated diet drinks like there was no tomorrow probably complicating his situation with the stimulants. He took Lasics or whatever that drug is by the handful. He was puffy all the time. And it killed him eventually...

So easy answer Sharon dear is no exercising while puffy or when your bp is elevated or missing meds. Rest and just don't miss any more meds.

My insurance will pay for meds but it is a much much better deal if you get three months at a time through the mail order part of the arrangement. So it's not unheard of but yes it sucks. My doctor encouraged me to get flonase that way which I could not tolerate and I have two full ones sitting around here some where. Damned if you do damned if you don't.

Guess where my kid got sent today from the docs office - the emergency room. His Dad took him, I was out riding my bike. Xmas present, I'll end up paying those $$$ bills because although an adult he's on my insurance.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #17
Joseph Randall

Profile:

George, I wish I could yell at my patients at the pharmacy like you do. A lack of common sense is a big problem in healthcare today.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:52 AM   #18
Sharon Goff

Profile:

and again, thank you, especially Frank, for the information I was seeking.
Jill, hope your kid is okay!
Old 11-29-2008, 06:07 PM   #19
Jill Zimmerman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Goff View Post
and again, thank you, especially Frank, for the information I was seeking.
Jill, hope your kid is okay!
He had an absess in his throat (not his tonsils-wierd) that was blocking his breathing and was dehydrated. They lanced it and ran some fluids in him and he looked pretty good when I saw him.

Yep Frank is a wealth of helpful information.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:16 AM   #20
Ganine Vanalst

Profile:

Red face Re: Help! Asap!! Ran out of blood pressure pills

Sharon, I hope you are feeling better today.

I stumbled on this website this morning which made me think of this thread. It is a website for asking questions about things you are worried about. Of course it is not professional advice or a substitute for professional advice, but it seems like a good place to ask questions or just vent concerns (in addition to this forum) like the one you had in this thread (after seeking appropriate medical attention ). Best of all, a lot of the site is in pink!

The site seems w/f/s, but I haven't delved too deeply into it so proceed with caution:

http://www.reallyworried.com/