CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-24-2007, 01:50 PM   #1
Jason Arsenault

Profile:
Anyone use heartrate monitors while doing the WOD? If so, where should we be in terms of heartrate? As much time in Max range as possible?
Old 04-24-2007, 03:49 PM   #2
Roark Marsh

Profile:
Anything short of puking?
Old 04-24-2007, 08:56 PM   #3
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Jason - HRMs are an endurance athlete's training tool used to monitor a somewhat objective measure of one's training/racing output. I say somewhat because factors such as temperature, overtraining (under resting) and different training modalities (swim vs bike vs run vs row etc.) change max HR numbers and thus change your various threshold numbers. The HRM is very valuable to let you know if you are going to hard on an LSD run or too easy on your hard intervals.

With CrossFit HR monitoring becomes somewhat moot. As Roark Marsh mentioned (I like to say that name, sounds like road march said by a Korean guy with a lisp) your effort level should be monitored by your Pukie proximity. While doing CrossFit you should not have the time, the energy nor the interest in looking at your wrist during a workout. If you are just curious as to how high your HR gets, great, slap that baby on and see what that ticker will do. If you are doing it to see if you are working hard enough...you are not working hard enough. Move as much weight as you can, as many times as you can, as fast as you can. You don't need a monitoring device for that.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:26 PM   #4
Jason Arsenault

Profile:
Thanks for the replies. I like to see how fast I recover and how much time in and beyond target. I dont have to look until after the WOD though, which is good.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:13 PM   #5
Don Stevenson

Profile:
I agree with Eugene, I trashed my expensive polar HRM a few months ago and replaced it with a cheap timex ironman watch and haven't noticed a difference.

If i want to measure my fitness/intensity directly i just do some rowing and use the C2s monitor
Old 04-26-2007, 12:24 AM   #6
John de la Garza

Profile:
I was thinking of using a heart rate monitor to let me know when to do my next set on things where you lift hard and then wait before the next set. Would heartrate be a good indicator of when you have recovered from a hard set or not?
Old 04-26-2007, 08:12 AM   #7
Dale F. Saran

Profile:
"Korean guy with a lisp"?
You slay me, Eugene. I laughed so loud Marine in the next office came over to see what was up.
:biglaugh:
Old 04-26-2007, 08:44 AM   #8
John Seaburg

Profile:
I use a recording HR watch with all my workouts and the workouts of those I train. I don't do CF WODs but I do similar mixed, high intensity stuff. Sometimes I use it to determine when I'm ready for the next activity, sometimes I just go by how I feel. I believe it's best use is for tracking trends (resting, recovery, % of time in certain zones) over the long run. I've seen people get so caught up in chasing HR stats that their workout suffers.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:54 AM   #9
Connie Morreale

Profile:
john (de la garza)

it is ineffective to use a HRM for muscle recovery. use a watch and rest anywhere form 20 secs to 2 minutes depending on how heavy you are lifting and the program protocol.
however a HRM is a very useful tool in cardio recovery. if doing intervals, generally you want a recovery down to 60% of you max hr before starting the next interval.
naturally, this advice does not apply to metcon workouts, where the goal is to make any HRM in the vicinity explode.
-----------------------

dy try n
Old 04-27-2007, 06:08 AM   #10
Tom Dee

Profile:
Wouldn't you use the HR to prevent yourself from going too high and giving you a heart attack? Especially for older people.