CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-11-2008, 07:47 AM   #1
Ian Jaeger

Profile:
Chest / Sternum pain during dips

All,

I've always sort of had this, but recently it's been getting worse. When I do dips, I feel a lot of pressure - to the point of pain - on my sternum. It's not a bad pain, maybe a 3-4, but definitely uncomfortable and a sign that something isn't right. Is there something that can be done as far as strengthening other muscle groups (chest?) or maybe changing my form a bit (leaning forwards / backwards more?)?

just curious if anyone else has this.

-Ian
Old 11-11-2008, 09:35 AM   #2
James Rollo

Profile:
Re: Chest / Sternum pain during dips

I get this also. Sometimes it makes doing Dips difficult. I think it started when I first started doing OHS, I believe I tried it with 95 pounds my first time and it seemed like my sternum popped and it has hurt every now and then since.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:39 AM   #3
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

I've had this various times over the past couple years. It hurts like hell!

I had to lay off dips for awhile, and heavy thrusters, which seemed to aggravate it even more. Went away after awhile. Comes back every once in awhile and I immediately do the same, and it goes away quickly.

I can also "pop" something in there when it hurts. Dunno wtf it is. Maybe someone else will have something a bit more medical to provide.

I will say that as I've lately been more strict with my fish oil intake, I don't seem to experience this pain. Who knows if thats related.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:57 PM   #4
Bob Pratt

Profile:

Leaning forward will bring more chest into the exercise. Staying straight up will use more triceps. Your ribs are attached to your sternum by cartilage, your pecs attach mainly to the sternum but also pull on your ribs. It may feel like your ribs are being dislocated but this is unlikely.
Like most injuries, rest & ice help. Avoid things that aggravate it, & try to stay sane while it heals.

bob
Old 11-11-2008, 06:21 PM   #5
John Filippini

Profile:

When I started doing CrossFit (and thereby doing a lot more dips) I started to notice this too. I actually fell out of the bottom of the dips a couple times because the pain hit me by surprise.

Lately I found the weirdest thing that seems to help: planche work. Even when I started doing the basic bent arm frog stand regularly I found that somehow my chest felt more stable and solid. Please keep in mind that this is just an observation of mine, I'm sure there were a hundred other things that might have helped, but I'm still doing ring work (dips and muscle-ups included) with no more problems, and this is the most reasonable explanation I've been able to come up with.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:20 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Basically isometric stabilization. That's why in gym we teach a really good basic support before doing dips. Same for upper arm dips ( hang on the bars by the bar being under your tricep with the arms like chickens ). These will aggravate the chest as well and I've heard of some nasty injuries by gymnasts messing things up in their chest by falling through the dip too low ( like in back uprises ).

That's why it's near critical to do wide arm and close arm pushups that are full ROM ( or on parallettes to go beyond normal ROM since that hyperextension is what causes all the problems ).