CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-04-2008, 02:55 PM   #1
Brian Lawyer

Profile:
Training for CF Games

This thread is a spinoff of a reply I had to the Charles Poliquin thread. You can read my full response to the Charles Poliquin thread below to give you some context to my training question below.

I was curious if anyone ever took this approach to training for the CF games.
Start about 4 months out from the competition and do:

1 month of Power lifting (i.e. SS model)
1 month of O'Lifting
1 month of CF exercises. Not WOD's but just skill work on Muscle ups, HSPU, and other staples while still keeping 1 -2 days a week of O'Lifts and Power lifts in the rotation.
Approx 6 weeks out from competition do pure WOD's, 3 days on and 1 day off.

I was wondering how someone who took this training approach would stack up versus someone who just purely did WOD's for 3 or 4 months. Based on my comparison of MMA to CrossFit below I would think you could dominate a CF games competition if you took the above approach to training.

This was my post on the other thread:
I have to say I do agree with this guy [Charles Poliquin] to a certain extent. I look at CrossFit very similar to Mixed Martial Arts (MMA). You aren't going to make it to UFC by just training MMA. All the world class fighters at one point or another went to a coach that specializes in only Jui Jitsui and trained with him for several months. Then went to a coach that specializes in Muy thai or another form of standup and trained with him for several months. Throughout there training and probably about 2-3 months out from a fight they piece together the ground game with stand up game, work in some takedowns and voila, they bring it all together into MMA.

Same thing with CrossFit. If you just want to be mediocre at O'Lifting, Gymnastics, powerlifting. Then train crossfit all the time. If you want to be a badass, then go train underneath an O'Lift coach for a month. Then go train gymnastics for a month and so on. Then bring it all together by doing pure crossfit for a month or two before a CF games competition.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:10 PM   #2
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Re: Training for CF Games

I don't think you'll progress all that much by doing o-lifting for 1 month, then gymnastics for one month, etc. Maybe if you did each for a year.

Also you won't hit many PRs in 6 weeks. I can't see someone going from a 10 minute to a 2 minute Fran in 6 weeks.

I've never done this though, so if you want to prove me wrong and be the guinea pig go for it.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:32 PM   #3
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lopez-Ota View Post
I don't think you'll progress all that much by doing o-lifting for 1 month, then gymnastics for one month, etc. Maybe if you did each for a year.

Also you won't hit many PRs in 6 weeks. I can't see someone going from a 10 minute to a 2 minute Fran in 6 weeks.
I disagree with the first statement but you are probably right about the second statement. I don't think you'll make as much progess doing O'Lift or power lift every once in a while when it pops up in the WOD rotation.

With regard to the CF games I guess I never really paid attention to what the actual competitions are. If it is just time thing for Fran and other WOD's then I suppose if you can already do the prescribed amounts of weight then you can just train the crap out of Fran to get the time down to 2 minutes.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:15 PM   #4
Jeremy Kinnick

Profile:

Hey brian good thoughts. But dont forget what crossfit is all about. Its about not specializing. I havent read all your comments and what not but I just want to make sure that we dont forget the basics. If I am not mistaken Jason Khalipa trained using mainly the WOD's and same with Speal and I am sure others as well. It is the best way to train which is why we do it right? Just some ideas to think about...
Old 11-04-2008, 07:41 PM   #5
David Meverden

Profile:

I agree with you Brain that some kind of periodization schedule should improve competition results but HOW MUCH it improves crossfit event performance, I think, will vary based on where the athlete starts. For example, I know that if I want to become a true crossfit badass in the next 9 months I'd have to spend a lot of that time on a milk binging SS cycle to boost my total by about 2 or 3 hundred, but for someone that already has a powerful strength base that kind of devoted power lifting would probably not provide enough benefit to Crossfit performance to make it worth while.

That's probably why 2 of the 3 top CFers in 2007 did pure main page WOD's (Josh Everett was the exception among the top 3), and the overall winner this year did just main page WoDs. I'm thinking that these guys started at such a high level that periodization wouldn't have helped that much for a competition whose nature was unknown.

Of course all the speculation is ultimately futile. If a program like yours is superior then it should prove itself to be such next summer, right?
Old 11-05-2008, 10:31 AM   #6
Steven Holm

Profile:

I can see where periodization like Brian suggests would help someone who had a lacking area of their fitness that needed to be brought up to par with other elements. But otherwise it seems that the WOD is pretty bullet-proof. Like David mentioned, the past two winners, Khalipa and OPT are strictly main site WOD guys.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:52 AM   #7
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Matt Murski also did periodization training. Great athlete, but he did pretty poorly at the games, at least considering he was a frontrunner.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:02 AM   #8
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

I rescind my above comments. I hadn't really done my research on what CF games was all about. I guess it is a competition of staple WOD's like Fran and others. If that is the case then specificity is probably the best way to train. If you can already do the Rx'd weight no point in doing any extra strength or Oly training.

So I guess Crossfit is kind of like training year round for a military fit test. Let's face it, that is basically what a WOD like Fran is. It is a timed fitness test with Rx'd set of standards.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:29 AM   #9
Chris Walls

Profile:

The games aren't always the same events tho Brian.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:31 AM   #10
Shawn Casey

Profile:

I figure you'd get your *** kicked in the metcons. I'm sort of doing a little experiment like this. I've been doing starting strength for the last couple of months; no metcons, no kind of cardio. I just started the advanced novice phase that coach Rip wrote about in practical programming. I'm getting ready for a powerlifting competition in February. I did Fran in August with a crappy time(don't ask) and I've never been able to complete Grace as rx'ed because my overhead stuff just sucks. All this hybrid talk and talk about strength being more important to crossfit gains than the other components gave me the idea to do my own experiment. So, I'm doing the Rippitoe's then I'm going to start working in some heavy sandbags when I stall out from the advanced novice. So it'll be some intermediate Rip with a focus on gettin my sandbag game strong (probably the texas method and working the sandbag in each week). Once I feel my sandbag weights are good, I'll move into those metcons with a strength component and work my way around to the longer metcons like Murph. I'm hoping that my cardio will catch up pretty quick and I'll be able to fall in with the WOD with some good times (and weights) and yes this is in hopes to compete on the level with the top 10 in 2010( can't make it to 2009). Just like the air force, I aim high. I might make a log when I switch over to the intermediate/sandbag thing so folks can see my progress. My hypothisis is that I'll get my cardio *** kicked but my strength will make up for it until my cardio comes back. We shall see!!!