CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
Adam Strome

Profile:
Arrow Primal Quest 2009: We need you!

Hey fellow crossfitters,

I am looking for a crossfitter to join a team which is so far composed of Shawn MacDonald (another crossfitter) and myself to race Primal Quest Badlands next August. The race is 600 miles done in a team of four (team members can be no futher than 100m from each other thoughout) and inolves almost every discipline of endurance racing you can think of. Mountain biking, trail running, ascending/rappeling, caving, swimming, kayaking, you name it.

Our training will be a mix of crossfit/crossfit endurance and training specific to each event. Chances are we are not all next door neighbors so training will likely have to be done on your own/at your own expense. Shawn is in Texas and I'll be in Manitoba, Canada so it's going to be a long distance relationship (high five for international relations ).

The registration opens and closes in less than two weeks so I need to know soon! All information can be found at ecoprimalquest.com and be sure to check out the race fees to make sure you can afford it (also remember those fees are split four ways).

Post a message or e-mail me if your interest ASAP.

Cheers,
Adam
Old 10-29-2008, 08:23 PM   #2
Adam Strome

Profile:
Re: Primal Quest 2009: We need you!

Wow, just got news.

1st place prize: Team splits $100,000.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
Jeremy Mathers

Profile:

That's pretty awesome, I know some people who finished in the top 15 last year.

Unless you have a significant endurance background (actually even if you do), just finishing the race will be a huge struggle. The guy I talked to slept 43 minutes (total) the first 3 days and they finished 3 days behind the first place team. Although physical conditioning will be extremely useful, mental toughness is required to finish something like that, be prepared to endure more pain than any crossfit workout could ever dish out.

I've done several 24 hour races, I can't imagine keeping that going for 10 days.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:00 PM   #4
Mark Reinke

Profile:

Just did my first AR this past September. Brought me back to some bad places from my past, that I actually missed! These things are a blast. The best part is the ridiculous quantities of food I consumed afterwards for the next 10 days. I had involuntary expeditions to the burger joint on our street, and even woke up in my car with 2 empty sushi roll trays in my lap after a trip to the grocery store. Wasn't expecting this as part of the recovery. Looking forward to more of these next year!
Old 11-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #5
Adam Strome

Profile:

One spot just opened. Send me an e-mail if interested ASAP.

Last edited by Adam Strome : 11-08-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:08 PM   #6
Vicky Zimmerman

Profile:

Awesome to see a CrossFit team entered in PQ '09!! I'll be watching your progress and wishing you the best! I started CF'n in Jan this year and used it as my primary training method for PQ Montana. My team's only goal was to finish, which we did. I had a secondary goal of actually enjoying it --after having a fairly miserable time (but a finish) during PQ Utah --which I really did. I wouldn't have even considered racing in 08 if I hadn't discovered CrossFit when I did. I went home the same day from my Level I Cert and signed up with a team who had previously asked me to race. I think my past experience in AR was also very valuable, but CrossFit worked every bit as well as I had hoped.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:39 PM   #7
Adam Strome

Profile:

Vicky, thanks for the support! It's comforting to hear that there will be at least one other crossfitter racing PQ 2009, so not everyone will hate us!

What team are you registered with?

Our team's blog is at teamcrossfitendurance.wordpress.com if you want to follow us on there.

Cheers,
Adam
Old 11-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #8
Vicky Zimmerman

Profile:

Hey again Adam, I'll only be racing in spirit this year! Thanks for the link. Happy trails! Vic
Old 11-20-2008, 03:44 AM   #9
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Strome View Post
Wow, just got news.

1st place prize: Team splits $100,000.

Adam;

Best of luck. You do know that this is one very serious race with high potential for not only NOT FINISHING, but physical dangers.

Close friends of mine competed 2-3 years ago, a very very strong team with national sponsors, 2nd day out, one of their guys colasped, not sure why, they tried to finish as a three man team, knowing it wouldn't count, did not finish.

Go for it and good luck, but if you haven't done 3-6 day races in extreme conditions, this might not be the best race to start off with.

Fill free to PM me, I'll put you in touch with their Nav guy who lives and races in Pittsburgh, Grass Roots Racing.

Longest I ever did was Coast to Coast across Michigan, it was 3 days. We slept about 4 hours, came in 11 hours behind the winners.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:47 AM   #10
Adam Strome

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Adam;

Best of luck. You do know that this is one very serious race with high potential for not only NOT FINISHING, but physical dangers.

Close friends of mine competed 2-3 years ago, a very very strong team with national sponsors, 2nd day out, one of their guys colasped, not sure why, they tried to finish as a three man team, knowing it wouldn't count, did not finish.

Go for it and good luck, but if you haven't done 3-6 day races in extreme conditions, this might not be the best race to start off with.

Fill free to PM me, I'll put you in touch with their Nav guy who lives and races in Pittsburgh, Grass Roots Racing.

Longest I ever did was Coast to Coast across Michigan, it was 3 days. We slept about 4 hours, came in 11 hours behind the winners.
Fully aware, and thanks for the advice and assistance.