CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-30-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
James Compora

Profile:
Crossfit or SS

I have been doing crossfit here for about 5-6 months, must say its much harder than regular weight lifting. Right now I can do the pack workouts or the level below that depending on which exercise it is. My question is, since its getting to be sweatshirt season...Should I run a few months of SS to get my strength up to maybe be able to do workouts as RX'd or just continue to do crossfit. I am overweight by about 20lb already but i want to get stronger to be more efficient in the WOD's. What do you guys think
Old 09-30-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
Chris Scott

Profile:
Re: Crossfit or SS

Hi James!

This is a pretty common question (OK, very common question). If you search "crossfit starting strength" here or Google various combinations of "ss crossfit" "starting strength vs crossfit" etc, you should get some good info. A couple threads to get you started: http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=35568 (w/f/s), and http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...628#post411628 (w/f/s).

Also, if you're curious about SS, the Starting Strength Wiki and the Mark Rippetoe Q&A Forum are good places to start.

Good luck!
Old 09-30-2008, 12:49 PM   #3
James Compora

Profile:

Thanks alot...its just hard to decide what to do for my own self :| im already 200lb and have a decent gut...but i hate not being able to do the WOD as RX'd
Old 09-30-2008, 12:53 PM   #4
Jason David

Profile:

I'm trying to lose excess fat first. Not sure how 'strong' you are right now but...I wouldn't worry about strength until you get down to your ideal weight/body comp. It's not impossible to gain straingth and lose fat...but it's difficult. If you keep working towards doing the WOD's unscaled you should be fine.

Although I don't know your CFT or anything i'm just thinking back to other posts i've seen of yours. I think you're an aspiring ff right? Unless you can't squat your bodyweight i'd stick with crossfit for now.

Just my opionion.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:56 PM   #5
James Compora

Profile:

Yes i am the future FF im almost up to over 300 on squats, and i think your right that i should get down to my ideal weight first, im thinkin at about 12% bodyfat and after i run the agility test for the department would be a perfect time to start SS. My CFT is almost 800, only puts me at Intermediate for my weight class

Last edited by James Compora : 09-30-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:07 PM   #6
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Compora View Post
Yes i am the future FF im almost up to over 300 on squats, and i think your right that i should get down to my ideal weight first, im thinkin at about 12% bodyfat and after i run the agility test for the department would be a perfect time to start SS. My CFT is almost 800, only puts me at Intermediate for my weight class

Yeah...We're pretty close. I wouldn't worry about strength looking at your total. You and me both have to shed a few more lb's before we start with the Milk. In the big picture 800 isn't all too bad.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:14 PM   #7
James Compora

Profile:

Yeah i think you're right, Are you doing a log anywhere? i could post some of my times and weights and stuff to have a little competition and motivation

edit: nevermind found it
Old 09-30-2008, 01:31 PM   #8
Brian Bedell

Profile:

I always say that if you have to ask, yes, do SS.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:38 PM   #9
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Meh, if your total is around 800, you aren't weak by any definition. Unless you have very specific goals surrounding your lifts, you're probably going to be better served by CF + dieting, if you feel you need to lose 20 pounds. Also, losing 20 pounds will improve your ability to perform many of the WODs, especially in regards to pullups, pushups, running, etc.

Personally, I do SS - but I want to get my CFT above 1200, much more than I care about Fran times or any of that. However, I will happily admit that the overall healthier solution would probably be to reduce the emphasis on heavy **** and maintain a bodyfat closer to 10%.

Just figure out what goal is most important to you, and pursue that. Either SS or CF is going to improve you in various ways.

And contrary to popular belief, you *CAN* use SS methodology while losing weight - I have been. It just isn't easy, or fast. If you're particularly interested, I can go into more detail, but again, CF is better for most.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:13 PM   #10
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Another suggestion, Stay on Cross fit but skip some of the running and sub in some 3-3-3-3-3 and 5-5-5-5-5-5- workouts