CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-06-2008, 01:33 PM   #1
Jerry Orloski

Profile:
First Time at actual Crossfit Affiliate

Hey All,

I have been doing Crossfit for about three months now think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. However, I cannot find anyone to do the WODs with on a regular basis, because basically none of my old workout partners want anything to do with it.

I live in the Pocono Mtn's of PA, so it's pretty rural. The nearest crossfit gym would be in Philly. I have friends that live down that way so I could go visit with them and maybe get a workout in as well. I am very interested to see how my solo workout would compare. Has anyone else out there who usually does the WODs themselves had an eye opening experience at an affiliate? I want to know if driving 2+ hours is worth it? I am thinking about driving down one Saturday a month or something like that.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:59 PM   #2
Casey Raiford

Profile:
Re: First Time at actual Crossfit Affiliate

I flew solo for about three months, then an affiliate popped up basicly in my front yard. I can honestly say that the quality of the workouts is higher. I chalk it up to having a few certified CFers running it, plus the group dynamic is a huge boost.

Can't say if it's worth it for you to drive over two hours.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
Henry Thomas Williams III

Profile:

I recommend that you go to Philly, work with some of their trainers, and make an occasional trip to join them for one of their workouts. You'll be a better CFer, no matter where you train. It's also cheaper than a Level I Certification ($1000).

I've been CFing on my own for a few months as well and just recently moved near an affiliate. Right now, I'm in the Elements class, which is private/small group training on all the basic exercises. Most affiliates seem to have similar programs and I think CF Philly does the same.

My trainer is showing me how to do CF exercises better (and in most cases, properly for once); personal attention from a certified professional CFer works better than even the best CF exercise videos. Even the most basic lifting movements that I thought were mindless have come under scrutiny.

When I leave this affiliate (I'm in the military, so it's inevitable), I'll be better prepared for the CF nomad life at Globo-Gym (which is also the military model). Good luck to you.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:59 PM   #4
Robert Pierce

Profile:

I did it on my own for 12 months. Then I went to CF Seattle, when I was there for a conference. Dave, the owner, was very, very helpful. I got a form check on squats, front squats, deads, kipping pullups. I never knew it, but I had some significant form problems that he helped me to correct.

Even if only once every 3-4 months, get a form check at the affiliate. You can do your metcons anywhere, but the form check is very helpful.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:43 PM   #5
Derek Weaver

Profile:

I've been training on my own since I started CF over 18 months ago.

I've also been to a Trainer Cert. and from that experience I can tell you that whatever you think is intensity now simply doesn't compare.

Having a group of people grunting through a WOD, and others cheering you on brings things to a new level.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:26 PM   #6
Camille Lore

Profile:  

No need to go to Philly, bud. Check out Dedicated Fitness in Palmerton! Crossfit Level I trainer, in the process of affiliating!
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=230973771 WFS
Old 08-07-2008, 01:44 PM   #7
Dustin Standel

Profile:

You definitely want to visit with a professional trainer. Form is a very important aspect of CrossFit exercise because the exercises can be dangerous if performed improperly and somethings are very hard to tell on your own.

I, for example, sometimes tend to tuck my *** at the VERY bottom of the squat or to not go down quite far enough when I do 1 rep maxes. I always thought I was, but The affiliate I go to now has a duramax ball that I use to measure my squats and he observes my form while I do the workouts. Even when I workout on my own now I am more conscious of my form and how to correct it. This has been an invaluable experience for me.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:16 PM   #8
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Like everyone else has said, as good as you think your form is, something needs correcting. I'd call ahead of time a schedule a day to visit where you know they can spend the time with you that you need.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:26 AM   #9
Jason M Struck

Profile:

Jason C Brown, of Crossfit Philly, and John Schneider of threeriverscrossfit.com in Pittsburgh will both steer you right.

should you drive right now, strictly for the purpose of attending a group class? Maybe not.

But next trip out, drop in, and tell them that I sent ya!

It will improve your home practice by leaps and bounds. You MUST go head to head with some other people at your level, and you MUST do it while under the supervision of someone that knows what to look for.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #10
April Pansy

Profile:

Check out CrossFit Pocono opening this week! We are located in Tannersville. Would love to have you come in for a workout!