CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-04-2006, 04:57 AM   #1
John Durocher

Profile:
Are there any serious runners who have done a marathon in less than 3:15 that have incorporated crossfit WOD into their training? Im currently training for a marathon and I am trying to develop the right balance between running workouts and Crossfit workouts without overtraining.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:47 PM   #2
Franklin Shogie

Profile:
I don't consider myself a serious runner but when I was 38 which was several years ago... I ran my 1 and only marathon in a time of 3:17. In that same time I had a max leg press on a 45 degree sled with knees to chest of 1100lb. I had a barbell lunge of 225lb and I cycled 100 miles in 4:32.

I knew nothing about Crossfit at the time but I didn't see why one couldn't have strength, endurance and speed.

I'm not sure what was harder: 1100lb on the sled or running the marathon.

I forsook conventional running wisdom and only ran about 40 miles a week in training for the marathon. the lifting and other activities I was doing precluded me from having much time to run.

Old 09-08-2006, 05:58 AM   #3
Peter Queen

Profile:
Wow Franklin, 1100lb sled leg presses and 225lb barbell lunges, that’s impressive. I was doing standing squats of 500lbs while I was training for my last marathon but that was before CF. John, I would say that swimming, biking, regular weekly increments in distance running, and walking lunges with lighter weights helped me the most for all the recent shorter runs I did. CF is not an endurance training program, but you can modify your marathon training with a CF-like approach. Do speed training intervals during your distance training. That will help to build up your base endurance. Keep a steady water, fruit and protien intake and get as much rest as possible on a regular basis.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:24 AM   #4
Franklin Shogie

Profile:
Mr. Queen,

It was a single rep max. And after I finished pressing it out and locked the safeties in place, I could not move for at least 5 minutes. My entire body was numb. A week later I did the marathon.

A 500lb back squat(no-no-no style) is something you can be proud of. I no longer do squats because many years ago I did the "back flop" off of a roof and seriously injured my back. The direct loading of the bar onto the spinal column causes the lower verterbrae to scream out in agony.

I agree with your advice to John about cross-training and high intensity intervals to prepare for a marathon but my words should be taken with a grain of salt because I train to be fit not to be a marathoner.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:46 PM   #5
Peter Queen

Profile:
Don't get me wrong Franklin, I did the squats more for ego than for any real performance bennefits. I did wear a belt and my reps were only 3 to 5 per set. I sure would not attempt them now even though I am in better than I was 5 years ago when I was doing a lot of long distance running. Now I just do 2 to 3 miles to maintain a very basic endurance level along with biking, hiking and swimming. CF is what I do now mostly with modified WODs thrown in now and then to mimick my fire fighting duties and functions. Sorry to here about your back. I can empathise with you because I had a lower back issue for about 8 years and it was a major pain in so many ways. Since I started doing CF I have not been to my chiropracter in over a year and that is saying something because I use to have to go at least once a month. At 45 I am better physically now than when I was 25 without back problems.:yahoo:
Old 09-08-2006, 03:00 PM   #6
Franklin Shogie

Profile:
Well Peter,

I decided to see if my thoughts that strength, speed and endurance weren't exclusive from each other; that is to say, that one could have it all - strength, speed and endurance. that's why I chose the marathon (26.2 miles) and a crazy leg press number (1100lb). after 6 monthes of training I had my answer; yes it is possible to have it all you just need to train smart.

I have only learned of Crossfit a couple of months ago...

one final data point as it were regarding endurance vs strength, when I was 21 at a height of 60in and a body weight of 145lb I was able to do the following: bench 305lb (touch and go), curl 135lb w/ Oly bar (arms only no hips), run a mile in 5:12 and a half maraton (13.1 mi) in 85:20. I wasn't a big guy but I was strong.