CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-28-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
Tarun Suri

Profile:
Overhead Squats - Extreme wrist pain

After 2 weeks of solid training to perfect form and increase flexibility and finally managed to perform an overhead squat with a pvc pipe.
I decided to try my luck with a #45 barbell and I was unable to even initiate the movement.

At the end of the wrist (where the hand begins) I feel as though my veins or whatever are pinching. The pain is not bearable and I dare not begin the descent.

My grip is not that wide... around snatch grip length.

Any leads as to the cause?
Old 07-28-2008, 09:19 PM   #2
Scott Parker

Profile:
Re: Overhead Squats - Extreme wrist pain

it's gonna hurt for a bit at first, especially when you start using weight. if it's unbearable pain you probably shouldnt be doing it, but soreness is par for the course. initially i could barely use a 25 lb. body bar and at one point was eventually OH squatting almost 1.25BW. it will get better over time. soreness is acceptable and will improve but unbearable pain is not. keep using the pvc pipe, try a slightly wider grip and experiment with different widths. a wider grip will allow you to squat easier since it requires less flexibility in your lower back and allows you to perform the movement when first learning, but once the weight gets heavy you'll lose some stability with the wider grip and will be forced to come in a little bit. everyone has their "sweet spot". you may also want to try something that is in between the PVC pipe and the oly bar as far as weight goes. a 25 lb. bar may be better. remember, this lift is one of the toughest to perfect and develop, but when done correctly you'll start seeing improvements is other areas. it's probably one of the most overlooked and underperformed lifts in my opinion, and many people avoid it because it doesn't come easy and they get frustrated and give up. be patient, experiment and it will pay off.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:24 AM   #3
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

I also found that what I thought was the proper position of my hands/wrists in OHS was complete wrong, its something to think about...

you actually want your hands and wrists at a 90 degree angle to each other and not straight. When I modified how I hold the bar it made a huge difference and my wrist pain went away immediately.

here is a WFS picture -

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_47T3kA73VDw/R8...080227_018.jpg

Karin
Old 07-29-2008, 09:29 AM   #4
Tarun Suri

Profile:

I'd love to see that picture karin (i love your name btw), but I get a page not found.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:46 AM   #5
Jason M Struck

Profile:

in this image-

http://crossfitvb.typepad.com/crossf.../thomi_ohs.jpg

the right wrist (foreground) is neutral and the left is extended. Karin is suggesting that the extended (background) position caused her less pain.

Since hurting my wrists with way too much OHS way too fast, nothing has been totally comfortable for me since...
Old 07-30-2008, 08:02 AM   #6
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarun Suri View Post
I'd love to see that picture karin (i love your name btw), but I get a page not found.
awe, thank you...

here are some more links!! (all WFS)

http://ingridmarcum.typepad.com/phot...id90snatch.JPG
http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/O...qlriJT5Nfl.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...samsn52big.jpg

And Jason was correct with his picture about what I was talking about!!

Karin
Old 07-30-2008, 02:58 PM   #7
Tarun Suri

Profile:

I will try again. But I payed very much attention to my wrist position. It does not tilt back, which one would assume, but rather it tilts slightly outwardly. Meaning, my right wrist will point a little bit towards the right side. Doing this now, it hurts, even without a bar, just with my hands and no weight!!

Any ideas?!
Old 07-30-2008, 07:55 PM   #8
Leah Turner

Profile:

Yeah I am just starting to pay attn to my OHS. It took me a little while just practicing with a broom and then I used a 20lb bar for a little while. After I no longer had access to that I used some light dumbbells (which is harder than barbell) and then started w/ the reg. 45 bar. Now I have gone up to 75lbs I think.

My wrist (particularly just the right one) definitely pinches sometimes more severe than others. I noticed that if I haven't done OHS in a while, then it will hurt more than if I do a few a couple times a week consistently. I broke my right arm/wrist years ago so figured it may also be related...but who knows.

I would just say go nice and easy and consistently practice. And the narrower the width, the more difficult it is, but my width definitely affects the pinching pain and you do have to work to find that "sweet spot."

good luck, I'm just working on it too.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:05 AM   #9
Scott Parker

Profile:

one thing i ued to do when i was learning how to OHS was doing them EVERYDAY as part of my warmup. a couple sets of 10 reps incorporated into whatever you usually do. start with the PVC pipe, increase weight in SMALL incriments. i would do a couple sets of 10 with 95lbs and quickly noticed benefits all around. other people were like, why is your OHS form so good? you just have to do them all the time and a good trainer/coach helps a ton!
Old 08-01-2008, 03:03 AM   #10
David Bott

Profile:

I'm not sure if this will help you any, but what shoes are you wearing? I do 95% of my lifting in bare feet, and I too get wrist pain from the OHS. For some reason though I found putting a plank of wood (about half an inch thick at a guess) under my heals (thus elevating my heals) somehow helps alleviate the wrist pain... I have no idea why, but it helps