CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 11-21-2008, 04:01 PM   #161
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:
Re: Helen Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson View Post
Yesterday a wimpy "Nicole" which I'll call Nickie. Wimpy due to my chest muscle strain:

4 Rounds in 18 minutes:
-- 400 meters & 12 pull-ups
-- 400 meters & 8 pull-ups
-- 400 meters & 12 pull-ups
-- 400 meters & 10 pull-ups

Used a wimpy 88lb assist on pull-ups and didn't push hard at all due to chest muscle strain. I quit on each set when I probably could have pulled at least 3-5 more times.

Running on a treadmill is dreadfully boring. And, I kept getting tangled up in my ipod cord. I have to find a way to stop that because it was getting dangerous (again at 7mph which for me is a lot!)

Last night I went to see a massage therapist that is also a licensed physical therapist. She said my injury is definately my pec major. It is sore all the way around where it attaches -- from under my arm, to the clavicle and all the way up/down my sternum! I'm very lucky i didn't tear it!
Hi Helen,

First off, your WO was not wimpy at all. I think you were extremely sensible in using the assists and limiting/cutting back on the reps, and still, the numbers are very respectable!! Nice runs too!! Sorry about the iPod cable.......Sounds like my speed. Gadgets are nice, but not around me in the gym......

Take care of that injury! So glad it wasn't a tear - - they can be so hard to heal because one is always using those muscles......
Old 11-24-2008, 06:12 AM   #162
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Still nursing the chest injury. It is very painful on a regular basis and doesn't seem to be healing much at all.

I took the day off on Friday as a rest day with heat (PT said was ok) on chest at night.

Saturday I kept heat on chest all day and spent about 3 hours do very light stretching/work reviewing the functional movement screen exercises and seeing how they would apply to my clients.

After heat for 2 days still no noticeable improvement in chest.

Sunday I did:
Warm-up: CFWUx2 with 100lb assist on pull-ups and no dips
20lb bar shoulder press x 10, 20lb bar back squat 2 sets of 5.

WOD: Back Squat: 6 sets of 3 with 45lb bar.
Followed by very light stretching on chest/shoulders, back & legs.

This workout appears to be just the right amount for now as i'm barely sore. I'm trying not to raise my overall inflamation level as that could affect healing time even though it may be a totally different part of the body.

On Sunday I started ice (biofreeze) on chest/shoulder. Did it all afternoon Sunday and this morning as well. We'll see if it helps.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:30 PM   #163
Jackie White

Profile:

Hi Helen;
sorry to hear about the injury, and here i am whining about a cold making me tired and cranky!
As for the posting on my push jerks, it does look like I congratulated myself, my cousin was logging my results for me and thought it would be funny to compliment me while she was logged under my name!

What day in march do you turn 40? I am the 26th.

take care,
Jackie
Old 11-25-2008, 10:41 PM   #164
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Hi Helen,

Catching up a bit - - been taking time off to recuperate a bit.....

Glad to hear you've found a happy medium on work outs so you can get some benefit without exacerbating the injury. Hope the biofreeze works for you, but whatever you can do to assist in your recovery, time is the best healer. You'll be back before you know and stronger too!

Take care!
Old 11-26-2008, 06:33 AM   #165
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie White View Post
Hi Helen;
sorry to hear about the injury, and here i am whining about a cold making me tired and cranky!
As for the posting on my push jerks, it does look like I congratulated myself, my cousin was logging my results for me and thought it would be funny to compliment me while she was logged under my name!

What day in march do you turn 40? I am the 26th.

take care,
Jackie
Hi Jackie. I turn 40 on March 15th. The way my injury is going I'm worried i won't be able to reach my goals by then of being able to do real Pull-ups and real manly push-ups. But we'll have to have a virtual 40th celebration anyway!
Old 11-26-2008, 10:54 AM   #166
Helen Lawson

Profile:

I went to an orthopedic doctor today. They took x-rays of my chest & shoulder and said the x-rays look fine. The PA called it costochondritis mixed in with a little bicep & rotator cuff tendinitis. My research shows it is common in people doing dips and/or muscle-ups. It can be caused by infection & can be a sign of fibromyalgia.

Oddly enough, the day the pain started i was doing muscle-ups and had (have) a sinus infection. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia a few years ago.

Treatment happens to be 3 things i hate the most: NSAIDS, isolation exercises using a resistance band, and rest the injured area.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:57 AM   #167
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Treatment happens to be 3 things i hate the most: NSAIDS, isolation exercises using a resistance band, and rest the injured area.
I'm with you on the "rest" hatred. After re-injuring my calf a couple times, the PT tells me it's because I'm not letting it heal long enough. This time I'm taking his advice, and I'm waiting an extra month more than he told me to wait. I think it's the only way to finally be done with it.

Take care of yourself! Have a great Thanksgiving, and be sure to give Charlie an extra big doggie biscuit!

Oh, and I just noticed that you're a fellow Pisces! Right on!
Old 11-27-2008, 12:12 PM   #168
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Thanks Nancy, Stephen and Jackie for your well wishes! Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

Yesterday I did CFWUx1, Shoulder PTx1, 3 rounds in 12 minutes of:
-- 15 Overhead squats
-- 15 Situps
-- 15 assisted pull-ups (both feet on floor)

Today I did CFWUx1, Should PTx1, 3 rounds in 8 minutes of:
-- 10 box jumps (8 inches)
-- 10 bosu back extensions
-- 20 walking lunges (10 each leg)

Funny thing is yesterday while i was doiing the pull-ups on my "FlowBar" it broke and I fell flat on my butt (hit elbow and knocked knees together too).
So, now, its my Azz, Elbow, knees and shoulder that all hurt!

But, like a true crossfitter the bar broke in the first set, i got up, put the bar back up and finished the next 2 sets before sitting down on a bag of ice!
Old 11-27-2008, 02:20 PM   #169
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Happy Turkey Day!!! Eat a lot. You deserve it!
Old 11-27-2008, 08:05 PM   #170
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks Nancy, Stephen and Jackie for your well wishes! Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

Yesterday I did CFWUx1, Shoulder PTx1, 3 rounds in 12 minutes of:
-- 15 Overhead squats
-- 15 Situps
-- 15 assisted pull-ups (both feet on floor)

Today I did CFWUx1, Should PTx1, 3 rounds in 8 minutes of:
-- 10 box jumps (8 inches)
-- 10 bosu back extensions
-- 20 walking lunges (10 each leg)

Funny thing is yesterday while i was doiing the pull-ups on my "FlowBar" it broke and I fell flat on my butt (hit elbow and knocked knees together too).

But, like a true crossfitter the bar broke in the first set, i got up, put the bar back up and finished the next 2 sets before sitting down on a bag of ice!
Helen,

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Have you thought of donating your bod to science? There time when I feel that way. ........

Take care!