CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 11-13-2008, 09:34 PM   #151
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:
Re: Helen Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson View Post
Thanks Stephen. I'm not totally back, but working on it slowly as i feel better. How's your knee/leg issues doing?.......
Glad you're feeling a bit better, Helen. Yes, IMHO stretching does feel good after being stuck in a forced rest for a while.

R/knee and L/hammy are coming along. I've cut way back on anything I believe would irritate the hamstring pull primarily. By proxy, this is keeping my R/knee relatively happy. BW exercises - - air squats in particular, seem to be fine for either. Running of any distance is definitely out of the question for a while longer, so I'm sticking to the cycling/rowing/elliptical things and occasionally, may sub in some work on the stair master.

Thanks for asking!
Old 11-14-2008, 06:56 AM   #152
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen R. Lampl View Post
R/knee and L/hammy are coming along.
Glad to hear you're doing ok, but doesn't it suck when you're motivated to work hard, but you're body keeps arguing with you? I don't know about you, but it makes me feel old!

I now have a new injury myself to deal with from over-doing it yesterday. I was so happy to feel good enough to work out again that i did too much:

Row 800m
CFWUx2
WOD was "Jason". In 12.5 minutes I did:

25 air squats
3 bar squat muscle-ups (bat at low chest hieght)
25 air squats
6 bar squat muscle-ups (bat at low chest hieght)
15 air squats
9 bar squat muscle-ups (bat at low chest hieght)
10 air squats
12 bar squat muscle-ups (bat at low chest hieght)

Then (i was waiting for a client in the gym) I did 2 Bench Press sets of 5 with 45 lb bar.

Also, yesterday I discovered I could do a handstand w/feet on the wall (walking feet up the wall, not kicking up) My shoulders were a little sore today to start with.

So, about an hour after my workout my left chest & shoulder started to hurt. I took advil & iced it last night. Still hurts today pretty bad so I'll keep icing it on/off all day. This sucks! I was so excited to be able to work out again! Now, i really can't do much without using that shoulder. Even running
hurts the shoulder.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:28 PM   #153
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Quote:
Glad to hear you're doing ok, but doesn't it suck when you're motivated to work hard, but you're body keeps arguing with you? I don't know about you, but it makes me feel old!

I now have a new injury myself to deal with from over-doing it yesterday. I was so happy to feel good enough to work out again that i did too much:

Row 800m
CFWUx2
WOD was "Jason". In 12.5 minutes I did:

25 air squats
3 bar squat muscle-ups (bat at low chest hieght)
25 air squats
6 bar squat muscle-ups (bat at low chest hieght)
15 air squats
9 bar squat muscle-ups (bat at low chest hieght)
10 air squats
12 bar squat muscle-ups (bat at low chest hieght)

Then (i was waiting for a client in the gym) I did 2 Bench Press sets of 5 with 45 lb bar.

Also, yesterday I discovered I could do a handstand w/feet on the wall (walking feet up the wall, not kicking up) My shoulders were a little sore today to start with.

So, about an hour after my workout my left chest & shoulder started to hurt. I took advil & iced it last night. Still hurts today pretty bad so I'll keep icing it on/off all day. This sucks! I was so excited to be able to work out again! Now, i really can't do much without using that shoulder. Even running
hurts the shoulder.
So sorry to hear about your chest and shoulder. You've gotta admit though, that you did great!

It simply does suck when you feel pretty good and then overdo it, or just get an injury because your bod isn't up to the task. I keep wondering if I'm not overdoing it, but if I don't work hard, I don't feel like I've accomplished as much. The hard work also really makes me feel good about two or three hours later. Weird, but true.

Take care, rest up, and heal quickly!!
Old 11-16-2008, 11:07 AM   #154
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Friday was a total rest day due to sinus infection and chest/shoulder pain and severe quad soreness from previous workout.

Yesterday spent 6 hours cleaning my house so someone could come look at it and hopefully buy it!

Today: Chest/Shoulder still little painful when i use it and sinus infection isn't getting any better. Quads are even still mildly sore. But, wanted to do a little (very little) something anyway:

CFWUx2
Deadlift 65lbs 3x5
Power Clean 23lbs 3x5 and 43lbs 3x5

Probably some stretching later. Today is paperwork day!
Old 11-16-2008, 06:34 PM   #155
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Quote:
Friday was a total rest day due to sinus infection and chest/shoulder pain and severe quad soreness from previous workout.

Yesterday spent 6 hours cleaning my house so someone could come look at it and hopefully buy it!

Today: Chest/Shoulder still little painful when i use it and sinus infection isn't getting any better. Quads are even still mildly sore. But, wanted to do a little (very little) something anyway:

CFWUx2
Deadlift 65lbs 3x5
Power Clean 23lbs 3x5 and 43lbs 3x5

Probably some stretching later. Today is paperwork day!
Hi Helen,

Get well quickly! Perhaps you can take a little time out for yourself if your schedule allows and rest up.

Nice WO, in spite of all........Best of luck on your house.

I hear you on the paperwork..............YUK!
Old 11-19-2008, 06:35 AM   #156
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Yesterday (still taking it easy due to sinus infection & shoulder/chest injury both lingering):

** dynamic warm-up (hamstring, it band, calves, etc...)
** Treadmill tabata warm-up -- up .5 mph every 20 sec, down .3 every 10 sec interval
** Treadmill tabata (dangerous! DON'T try this at home): 7mph for 20 sec, 3mp for 10sec. Dangerous because it was hard to push the 3 button while your going 7mph! Small buttons!
** Situp tabata on bench with feet anchored. From arms overhead to touch toes. 8-7-7-7-7-7-7-6
** A few cleans and deadlifts showing a client proper form.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:32 PM   #157
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Quote:
Yesterday (still taking it easy due to sinus infection & shoulder/chest injury both lingering):

** dynamic warm-up (hamstring, it band, calves, etc...)
** Treadmill tabata warm-up -- up .5 mph every 20 sec, down .3 every 10 sec interval
** Treadmill tabata (dangerous! DON'T try this at home): 7mph for 20 sec, 3mp for 10sec. Dangerous because it was hard to push the 3 button while your going 7mph! Small buttons!
** Situp tabata on bench with feet anchored. From arms overhead to touch toes. 8-7-7-7-7-7-7-6
** A few cleans and deadlifts showing a client proper form.
Glad you are still taking it easy! I can see how it would be so simple to just give a go at regular work, with clients and all. Nice WO too!

I like the Tabata treadmills. Can see how it could be hazardous to your health!! (pictures of the cartoon character going around and around through the treadmill, stuck to the belt).
Old 11-20-2008, 06:08 AM   #158
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen R. Lampl View Post
Can see how it could be hazardous to your health!! (pictures of the cartoon character going around and around through the treadmill, stuck to the belt).
Yeah, don't try it! I felt like that character spinning around the belt! But the chronic over-doer in me won -- Even though i figured out right away that it was pretty dangerous I insisted on finishing the Tabata "set" anyway just to prove to myself that i could do it.

Yesterday I took it pretty easy and just did some light stretching and stability work for about 1/2 hour when i got home. I hope i'm not just being lazy, but my chest still hurts and i still have a little cough. I have the Crossfit Gymnastics cert coming up in 2 weeks so i really hope i can heal by then! It would really suck if couldn't do anything!
Old 11-20-2008, 07:55 PM   #159
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Quote:
Yeah, don't try it! I felt like that character spinning around the belt! But the chronic over-doer in me won -- Even though i figured out right away that it was pretty dangerous I insisted on finishing the Tabata "set" anyway just to prove to myself that i could do it.

Yesterday I took it pretty easy and just did some light stretching and stability work for about 1/2 hour when i got home. I hope i'm not just being lazy, but my chest still hurts and i still have a little cough. I have the Crossfit Gymnastics cert coming up in 2 weeks so i really hope i can heal by then! It would really suck if couldn't do anything!
Helen,

I think you are most wise in scaling back your activity. Too much of a good thing with the symptoms you're still experiencing and you are asking for a bout with pneumonia. As it is, sounds like you've gotten a run of bronchitis.

As for finishing the Tabatas, I'm glad that you felt good at least getting it done. I think CF causes us all to overachieve a little bit

Take care and rest up for the certs!!
Old 11-21-2008, 06:26 AM   #160
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Yesterday a wimpy "Nicole" which I'll call Nickie. Wimpy due to my chest muscle strain:

4 Rounds in 18 minutes:
-- 400 meters & 12 pull-ups
-- 400 meters & 8 pull-ups
-- 400 meters & 12 pull-ups
-- 400 meters & 10 pull-ups

Used a wimpy 88lb assist on pull-ups and didn't push hard at all due to chest muscle strain. I quit on each set when I probably could have pulled at least 3-5 more times.

Running on a treadmill is dreadfully boring. And, I kept getting tangled up in my ipod cord. I have to find a way to stop that because it was getting dangerous (again at 7mph which for me is a lot!)

Last night I went to see a massage therapist that is also a licensed physical therapist. She said my injury is definately my pec major. It is sore all the way around where it attaches -- from under my arm, to the clavicle and all the way up/down my sternum! I'm very lucky i didn't tear it!