CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 11-03-2008, 04:24 PM   #141
Helen Lawson

Profile:
Re: Helen Wheels

Todays WOD (head still a little fuzzy from all the wine with dinner last night) Puppy "Michael" = Mikey

18 minutes = Three rounds for time of:
Run 600 meters -- 1 1/2 laps
15 Back Extensions -- Supermans since i did it outside
25 Sit-ups -- Straight leg roll-ups

I think i'll be sore tomorrow I'm just not sure where yet.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:33 AM   #142
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson View Post
Yeah, i love the rowers too. I'm going to try to get one after i move if i have enough space.

Yes it is awesome to share! Especially when people are just as excited as you are! I think sometimes I'm happier when my client has a PR than they are!

Todays WOD (after 9 holes of golf) was my first attempt at Angie:

30 Pull-ups -- I tried jumping pull-ups but my bar at home isn't high enough so it ended up being more of a cardio & leg workout.
30 Push-ups -- Top of the stairs.
30 Sit-ups -- Bent knees w/towel under back seems harder than roll-ups.
30 Squats -- These were the easiest.

Total time: 10 minutes 15 seconds

When I was done i did 5 pull-ups with only my toes on the floor.

Now its time for paperwork and wine.
Awesome Angie, Helen! I have to agree on ANY jumping pull-ups. Even in your situation, it seems as though the JPUs are always toward the cardio end of the spectrum. I bet one could make up a metcon with those

Quote:
Today (after 9 holes of golf):

CFWUx1
Thruster practice with 13, 23, and 33 lbs

Thrusters w/43 lbs:
1-1-1-1
rest
1-1-1
rest
1-1-1-1

This means when i did 1-1-1-1 i rested for less than 10 seconds in the clean position. This isn't too bad for me considering it was only a few months ago i couldn't squat 43 lbs once and I couldn't press 43 (any way) over my head. So, not a tough workout today, but i'm still happy with it.

Now, the hard work comes next....going out to dinner with my family!
I'm impressed! I would be too frustrated to do a WO after golf. I'm one of these people you would never want on a golf course. The repairs after my visit would make operations cost-prohibitive

Great thruster WO too, Helen! Looked like a tough one to me! And outstanding progress for just a few months!

Quote:
Todays WOD (head still a little fuzzy from all the wine with dinner last night) Puppy "Michael" = Mikey

18 minutes = Three rounds for time of:
Run 600 meters -- 1 1/2 laps
15 Back Extensions -- Supermans since i did it outside
25 Sit-ups -- Straight leg roll-ups

I think i'll be sore tomorrow I'm just not sure where yet.
Great job on "Mikey"!!
Old 11-04-2008, 05:44 PM   #143
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen R. Lampl View Post
Awesome Angie, Helen! ... Great thruster WO too, Helen! Looked like a tough one to me! And outstanding progress for just a few months! ... Great job on "Mikey"!!
Thanks Stephen. I appreciate all the comments. I really like the jumping pull-ups but i just can't seem to find the right place to do them. They are great pull-up work and met-con like you said! I just read in "Starting Strength" about how important it is to do things at high speeds and why. So, i'll definately be finding a good place to do the jumping pull-ups.

But today... Death by pull-up with 58lbs on the assistance machine: 6 rounds + 5 I can't wait until i can do real dead-hangs! New goal: 2 Dead-hangs in a row by my 40th birthday in March!
Old 11-04-2008, 09:23 PM   #144
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks Stephen. I appreciate all the comments. I really like the jumping pull-ups but i just can't seem to find the right place to do them. They are great pull-up work and met-con like you said! I just read in "Starting Strength" about how important it is to do things at high speeds and why. So, i'll definately be finding a good place to do the jumping pull-ups.

But today... Death by pull-up with 58lbs on the assistance machine: 6 rounds + 5 I can't wait until i can do real dead-hangs! New goal: 2 Dead-hangs in a row by my 40th birthday in March!
Nice work, Helen! If my memory serves me correctly, the numbers on the assistance are dropping!! You'll have those two DHs in no time!! Way to go, girl!
Old 11-06-2008, 06:02 AM   #145
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Quote:
Nice work, Helen! If my memory serves me correctly, the numbers on the assistance are dropping!! You'll have those two DHs in no time!! Way to go, girl!
Yeah, i think the numbers are dropping a little. Not quick enough for me though. And unfortunately I'm getting a cold so I think I'll probably take some time off to rest. Everyone at work is sick so i figured it was inevitable.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:43 PM   #146
Jackie White

Profile:

Hi Helen!

good for you for doing crossfit. I started in May, and my 40th is in March as well and I am determined to do 1 pullup by then.

take care,

Jackie
Old 11-12-2008, 08:13 AM   #147
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie White View Post
good for you for doing crossfit. I started in May, and my 40th is in March as well and I am determined to do 1 pullup by then.
Hey Jackie. We'll have to keep comparing notes on the pull-ups. From glancing at your log it looks like overall you are stronger than i am, but that we're pretty close as far as pull-ups go. Do you use an assistance machine at all? If so, whats your 1 rep max on the assistance?

I've been sick with just a cold/sinus infection type thing so I've taken the last week off. Over the weekend i got Gray Cooks Functional Movement Screen (FMS). I know that a lot of Crossfitters aren't huge fans but i thought it is a good assessment tool. I'll be using it with my clients (and myself) to address imbalances in addition to all of the regular workouts.

On Sunday I went through the FMS assessment myself and practiced all of the exercises/stretches regardless of how i personally did on the assessment. I never ask a client to do anything i haven't done myself.

Yesterday i played for about 20 minutes in the gym while waiting for a client:
10 minute warm-up including bird-dog, single leg lowers flex/ext & abd/add, walkouts, etc...

several pull-ups w/80lb assist (just playing)
45 lb incline bench press (several sets of 5-8)
2 sets of 10 Captains chair knee raises
5 sets of 5 knee raises on the tricep dip handles of the captains chair.
Then 15 minutes of walking stretches & FMS exercises when i got home.

I'm still not feeling great so i'm trying to ease back into things slowly.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:54 PM   #148
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Quote:
Hey Jackie. We'll have to keep comparing notes on the pull-ups. From glancing at your log it looks like overall you are stronger than i am, but that we're pretty close as far as pull-ups go. Do you use an assistance machine at all? If so, whats your 1 rep max on the assistance?

I've been sick with just a cold/sinus infection type thing so I've taken the last week off. Over the weekend i got Gray Cooks Functional Movement Screen (FMS). I know that a lot of Crossfitters aren't huge fans but i thought it is a good assessment tool. I'll be using it with my clients (and myself) to address imbalances in addition to all of the regular workouts.

On Sunday I went through the FMS assessment myself and practiced all of the exercises/stretches regardless of how i personally did on the assessment. I never ask a client to do anything i haven't done myself.

Yesterday i played for about 20 minutes in the gym while waiting for a client:
10 minute warm-up including bird-dog, single leg lowers flex/ext & abd/add, walkouts, etc...

several pull-ups w/80lb assist (just playing)
45 lb incline bench press (several sets of 5-8)
2 sets of 10 Captains chair knee raises
5 sets of 5 knee raises on the tricep dip handles of the captains chair.
Then 15 minutes of walking stretches & FMS exercises when i got home.

I'm still not feeling great so i'm trying to ease back into things slowly.
Good to see you back, Helen. Missed you there for a couple.......

Glad you're taking it easy. Looks like this flu season is going to be a bugger! Take care!
Old 11-12-2008, 08:50 PM   #149
Jackie White

Profile:

[quote=Helen Lawson;444767]Hey Jackie. We'll have to keep comparing notes on the pull-ups. From glancing at your log it looks like overall you are stronger than i am, but that we're pretty close as far as pull-ups go. Do you use an assistance machine at all? If so, whats your 1 rep max on the assistance?

For sure, we can do that, no, I don't have an assistance machine. My setup is in my garage, and it is rudimentary at that. Looks like you are showing lots of improvement! Good stuff.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:36 AM   #150
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Quote:
Glad you're taking it easy. Looks like this flu season is going to be a bugger! Take care!
Thanks Stephen. I'm not totally back, but working on it slowly as i feel better. How's your knee/leg issues doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie White View Post
For sure, we can do that, no, I don't have an assistance machine. My setup is in my garage, and it is rudimentary at that. Looks like you are showing lots of improvement! Good stuff.
Yeah, i don't get to use the assistance machine often, but the problem is that with the home setups it is hard to judge improvement. Like, if you have one foot on the floor (what i call Pistol Pull-ups -- look up what "pistols" are if you don't know) you can't really judge how much resistance the leg is taking instead of the arms/back. I like to try to use the assistance machine at least once a month and try to max out in order to judge my progress. And it even seems to very a little bit between assistance machines.

So, yesterday when i got home (i was sooooo tired) I did 45 minutes of Yoga/Pilates (PiYo 2). Not the silly relaxing stretching type yoga, but probably a moderate pace and intensity. Didn't break a sweat, but some muscles are a tiny bit sore from it today. Also got a good stretch which i feel like i needed due to all the lounging around being sick.