CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-09-2008, 09:19 PM   #1
Zachary Kapchan

Profile:
17 and joint problems?

I've had joint and back problems ever since middle school. I'm not exaggerating either. I injured my lower back playing football, which still has not completely healed several years later. Furthermore my knees and feet are constantly sore. Finally, my left hip is constantly in pain. It feels like it's extremely tight all the time. My physical therapist said he's never seen a patient with tighter hamstrings in his entire career. My back has random flare ups, where the entire left side of my lower to mid back is extremely painful. In fact when it does flare up, you can see how the left side of my back gets inflamed. It puffs out. I'm not sure if I'm just a hypochondriac. I ordered a Sacro Wedgy basically out of desperation. Pretty pathetic that I'm risking $50 on something that may or may not work, but I've tried many other things (exercises, stretching, applying heat) and nothing works. I haven't worked out in 2 weeks because of a back flare up. I feel like it's hopeless because my doctor doesn't seem to want to find out what's really wrong. What should I do?
Old 07-09-2008, 09:27 PM   #2
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: 17 and joint problems?

simple answer.... get a new doctor... see a neurosurgeon.

Oh preferably ... one that is outside of national health service.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:59 AM   #3
Derek Weaver

Profile:

I agree with Frank. Do whatever you can to change MD's.

Also, if you don't work out at an affiliate, then get a coach, or post some videos to the digital coaching section to help make sure that you're doing everything right.

Seventeen is way too young for someone to deal with such constant problems and discomfort.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:24 AM   #4
David Meverden

Profile:

Does anyone think this could have a dietary cause?

I'm no expert but I seem to remember cases where apparently random inflammation issues (of which joint pain could be a symptom as the immune system starts attacking joint tissue) turn out to be an allergy to wheat gluten or some other regularly ingested food.

You may not have a ton of control over what you eat due to a family situation but I wonder if you switched to a paleo diet for a month if some of these issues would go away.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:52 PM   #5
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Battled similar problems in high school. Sat out a year from all sports for similar severe back pain and osgood-schlotter's disease in both knees.

Get a new doctor - one that will help you continue to work out, or it won't get any better. The year I sat out didn't do me any good. I really wish I had started rehabbing immediately. Your parents really need to be on board with your desires here - convince them that you WANT to be active, and you want to be safe about it. Check your ego at the door. A good PT is going to have you do some really stupid-looking/feeling stretches, but do them anyway. A good PT will have you doing lots of flexibility work with bands - it can be fun if you don't worry about your friends quarter-squatting 275 and bragging about it. Know that once you get healthy, your strength will have plenty of potential. Be patient!

At 28, I still fight bad joints (had my first surgery last year) but have found that they actually improve vastly if I keep up with the core exercises (squat, deadlift, press). If I don't squat for a month my knees just absolutely suck. True story.

You also might look into some fish oil supplementation, glutamine, and a multi. Stay hydrated. NSAIDS help but be careful with them. I relied heavily on Celebrex for way too long, and that was bad. I now use generic Ibuprofen only when absolutely needed (600-800mg once a week or so).
Old 07-18-2008, 12:23 PM   #6
Bruno Vetter

Profile:

I am 19 and I have already had three surgeries unfortunately. I had a knee in 8th and in 9th grade, and just recently I had a shoulder.

I saw get a new doctor for sure. I had a similar problem once. I got a new doctor, he rediagnosed by problem and unfortunately I had to get surgery but post-rehab I feel much better.

I also agree with Jacob Cloud in that my joints feel worse if I don't squat, deadlift etc. for awhile, and especially if I don't go *** to grass as they say on squats.

Don't know if that helps. I also take fish oil and glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM and that helps me a bunch.

Best of luck