CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-30-2008, 03:02 AM   #1
Vic Webster

Profile:
Shin troubles from running... any advice from physios?

Hello,

Was hoping someone can advise.

I'm doing a short run (3 miles), three times per week. The problem is that I have to stop a couple of times on the run to recover, but not because of lack of cardiovascular, but more due to discomfort in my shins. Specifically, what feels like the tibialis anterior muscle of my left shin (guessing).

When I was younger I used to get really bad shin splints from playing basketball. I'm unsure if this is related, but it's a different feeling, so I don't know if it's the same thing. When I got it from basketball, it really felt like the actual shin-bone was incredibly sensitive, to the point that even a slight bump would be extremely painful, even days afterwards.

This feels different - it's definitely the muscle that is aching and sore, and mainly in the left shin (the right one is sore but bare-able), and if I rest it for a while it's not longer painful. I have to stop and "shake it off" and stretch it out every now and then which is incredibly frustrating as I'm not extending myself in cardiovascular-wise as a result.

I just bough some brand new asics running shoes to try and help alleviate the problem, but the difference has been negligible. Also, I have flat feet. I tried wearing arch-supports but they just feel uncomfortable and after a while hurt my feet ... and in any case they don't help my shin(s).
Old 06-30-2008, 05:28 AM   #2
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Re: Shin troubles from running... any advice from physios?

You are running with a heel-strike technique, look into switching to the POSE technique. A search of this forum should reveal a wealth of info on how to do this. HTH
Old 06-30-2008, 06:11 AM   #3
Vic Webster

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Kaminski View Post
You are running with a heel-strike technique, look into switching to the POSE technique. A search of this forum should reveal a wealth of info on how to do this. HTH
Thanks for the tip, unfortunately I couldn't find anything substantial about POSE running. None of the returned threads had a subject relating to running style, and I don't have time to sift through them all.

I tried a google search too. Most of the results I found seemed like they were trying to sell something without explaining anything.

Thanks anyway.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:55 AM   #4
Matt Corley

Profile:

I have really bad shin splints too, and I've have to limit my running pretty severely. There are braces that helped a lot for me. For the first time in a LONG time I've been able to run without severe pain.

http://www.docortho.com/braces-and-s...sion-Wrap.html

I have a pair of these, and I like them a lot. The link is w/f/s.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:02 AM   #5
Scott Ponte

Profile:

Vic,

Along with icing it after flare ups I would look into streching as a sutible sub.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_splints (WFS)

Go about 3/4 down to prevention. It has some information about form and a few other little facts. At least it'll get you some ideas.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:52 AM   #6
Michael DeLuca

Profile:

Vic, I've recently started working on the POSE technique.

Here is where I got the information:

http://www.posetech.com/library/pp-SIB-0001.html

link is w/f/s.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:36 AM   #7
Shawn Casey

Profile:

I started POSE a month ago. I started getting really bad knee pains and they felt wobbly(unstable). I started doing pose and not only are the pains and wobbly feel in my knees(which went away in a week)gone, the knots in my back and neck have faded close to nothing and I feel relaxed and loose. POSE is the best thing to happen to me since crossfit. I'm sure I wouldn't be doing crossfit much longer if it wasn't for POSE. I enjoy running now and I can focus on other things besides knee pain. I did a little barefoot running before I learned about the POSE drills and before I got the recommended shoes. Try a little barefoot running and see how it feels. Google barefoot running and you'll find a bunch of info. Just don't land with a heel-strike(sucks).
Old 06-30-2008, 05:45 PM   #8
Scott Borre

Profile:

I used to have 'chronic' issues.

The fix is relatively simple (if you decide not to go POSE method, which basically fixes it with the same way). Its about strengthening your feet. Two main ways to do this. One, run barefoot on grass. Two, walk about 50-100m up and down (barefoot) switching where you 'stand' on your feet. So insides of feet, heels, outside of feet, and toes, and do this backwards too.

You don't have to do a lot of this, but doing a bit of it as a part of a warm-up helps so much.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:24 AM   #9
Vic Webster

Profile:

Thanks very much for all your helps guys. I will read into the suggested links.

God, pain-free running ... I can't even imagine it. I reckon I could run 20 miles.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:09 AM   #10
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Re: Vic
http://patrickhdonnelly.blogspot.com...technique.html (WFS)
http://patrickhdonnelly.blogspot.com...e-running.html (WFS)

These may be of some use; particularly the first one and the links contained within. I'd recommend not buying anything from the POSE website, as I have read elsewhere on the boards that it is insatisfactory material and overpriced.

20 miles is right around where you typically hit "The Wall" in a marathon... So, while you could get there, it wouldn't be fun, and you could do so much more effectively with Murph, or Murph with a weight vest if you really wanted to be a masochist.