CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-27-2006, 05:29 PM   #11
John Ponzetti

Profile:
Thanks for the tips, and links. This forum is awesome! Everyone in this community seems to really help others.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:15 PM   #12
Michael Forge

Profile:
John, everyone is different in terms of their need for a break, so I don't think there is a universally applicable answer to your question. I can tell you that I, personally, have found that I NEED occasional breaks more often at the age of 39 than I did when I was 30. Trying to "push through" the physical AND PSYCHOLOGICAL fatigued that builds up after weeks of intense work inevitably results in injury, illness, or mental/emotional burnout for me.

It was a bitter pill to swallow, but I've finally learned to accept that my age and life circumstances do have a great impact on my performance/recovery needs. Accepting the capabilities and limitations of where I am today as opposed to trying to keep up with what worked a decade ago has helped make me much happier AND FITTER.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:07 AM   #13
Darrell E. White

Profile:
John, great advice all over this thread. Expand your question and the concept and the advice you've received here makes even more sense. It's important to rest and allow ALL of your muscles to recover, even your brain muscle. Due to some very challenging work issues I just returned from my first week off in 18 months. No work, no thinking about work( and because of where I was, no CF for 5 of those days,although that part was not on purpose). This week was great and I performed pretty close to what my peak must be at 46yo. Kinder, friendlier, and happier in the office; slicker, faster, better, and more efficient in the technical aspects of my job, and I made HUGE strides in my CF in only my 4th month. To echo what Michael just said, I clearly pushed the envelope and clearly needed the physical and mental break, and my near peak performance in all aspects of my life after returning from my rest is the proof.

Darrell
Old 04-29-2006, 06:22 AM   #14
John Ponzetti

Profile:
My conditioning is far off from a lot of the posted times I see.(Some of these people are Aminals!!) The weights I lift are ok.(bench:225, squat 245, deadlift 330 last night I did front squats working up to 155 for 5 reps) Still off on the C&J and snatch. Mentally I dont want to take a break, but like I said earlier I wake up sore and stiff. Before doing Crossfit(basic bodybuilding type work)I would be sore in the worked area, not from head to toe!! And again, thanks for the advice. This is a truly amazing web site.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:56 AM   #15
Dave Campbell

Profile:
John,
I'm 42 and find that a week off every 8-10 weeks does wonders for me. I find that I often set PR's in the WOD immediately after I take such a break. If you lose anything in a week, you never had it in the first place.
On the other hand, Larry's recomendation looks very solid too.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:34 PM   #16
George Brothers

Profile:
i find due to my work schedule that i may have 4-5 days off in a row and then work a few nights, have a day off and then work a day. i work 12 hour shifts. i have found during my easy weeks i can do the wod or some permutation of it 4-6 days in row and feel good. busy weeks, i may only do mwf or do 2 on, 1 off. then there are times when i will take 2-3 days off in a row. so i would have to say my personal experience is to rest when i feel i need it and as scheduling allows. also get lots of good sleep including naps (in a bed, not a couch) and dont work out when you are sick.a wod kicks your immune system's butt and would just be a double whammy. don't feel guilty. if you are doing this stuff, you are head and shoulders above your avg person out there. and you wont get stronger or faster unless you recover.consistently work out hard with intensity and variation and consistently recover.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:46 AM   #17
Steve Liberati

Profile:
In agreement with the majority. Take the week off and give yourself a physical and mental break from the gym. Your body will thank you and you'll probably come back stronger.

I believe it goes along with the whole "black box" theory. Never allow your muscles the opportunity to adapt to a routine. Keep it guessing all the time.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:34 PM   #18
Baron Dorff

Profile:
Sounds like your timing is running about like mine did. After the first 4 weeks crossfitting I was feeling really, really crappy.

Took a week off and came back stronger than ever. The next cycle was about 6 weeks, and started feeling worn out again. Took another week off. Showing steady, constant improvement in performance the entire time.

The last cycle I've been on has been over 16 weeks and I haven't had that 'zapped' feeling yet, but took three days off just a couple weeks ago. Seems that my wear out / recovery cycle is improving as the months go by.

Just now completing my 9th crossfit month, and am quite interested to see where this train will take me.

Old 05-04-2006, 07:25 AM   #19
Baron Dorff

Profile:
Funny timing... Just got that wiped out feeling on the workout right after I posted my last message. Thought it was just from a long day at work. Got it again last night. Going to take a week off the WODs and spend a few days doing nothing but long row sessions.